Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2010 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I liked the Hirsch Doppel Bock last time will definitely grab some of those and the Christoffel and Russian Gun. THe Hogsback and Rogue will be nice and I'll likely try one of the rest that I haven't had before.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

notdan

Post by notdan »

I'm a little weirded out by all the talk of smoke flavour in the Dead Elephant Ale. The one time I tried it was at the Winking Judge in Hamilton and I do not recall this at all. At the time it tasted like a relatively hoppy strong ale; I didn't know it was supposed to be an IPA and it didn't really come off that way to me.

Radek

Post by Radek »

Why did we switched link reference from Ratebeer to Beer Advocate ?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

notdan wrote:I'm a little weirded out by all the talk of smoke flavour in the Dead Elephant Ale. The one time I tried it was at the Winking Judge in Hamilton and I do not recall this at all. At the time it tasted like a relatively hoppy strong ale; I didn't know it was supposed to be an IPA and it didn't really come off that way to me.

It isn't smokey.
Perhaps it was at a time, but the brewery has rectified that problem.
When fresh, that dead elephant is amongst the best APA style beers that I have had. I think their beer suffers a bit when it isn't right fresh ( and I hope they continue to work on that problem). But overall, the Amber, Dead Elephant, and Pullman Porter, Cranberry Spiced Ale are very very acceptable beers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Radek wrote:Why did we switched link reference from Ratebeer to Beer Advocate ?
the real question is why weren't we using BA from the start? :D

perhaps it's an effort to alternate between the two sites so nobody feels left out?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Radek, just because some of us are in the know, doesn't mean we can leave everyone else out of the loop. :P :P :P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

grub wrote:

perhaps it's an effort to alternate between the two sites so nobody feels left out?
I think it's simply that Bobsy is on BA.

But to argue both sides, I'd say RB has more numbers & may be more statistically significant, but that BA often has more eloquent reviews.

Personally, I often hit top reviewers & see what they have to say. BuckeyeNation is always a treat:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/62 ... pr&start=0

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

grub wrote:

Nah, its because I posted it.
Derek wrote:But to argue both sides, I'd say RB has more numbers & may be more statistically significant, but that BA often has more eloquent reviews.
Wise words indeed, and a huge yes to the reviews of Mr. Buckeye. Its interesting that as you become familiar with some of these guys you know who to look to for a balanced oppinion. For example, this guy knows his saisons and lambics better than anyone I've come across: http://beeradvocate.com/user/profile/Gueuzedude

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

yeah, i figured it was just the bobsy-ism of it and not some larger underlying conspiracy theory. i suppose if someone wanted to get extra fancy they could have separate links to the various sites at the end:

174532 / Grand River Brewing Russian Gun Imperial Stout / $4.50 / 500 (BA)(RB)(TBS)

there's certainly more detailed, interesting, and meaningful content in the reviews from BuckeyeNation and Gueuzedude than the "reviews" from that other "top" reviewer. it's obvious who's doing it out of love of the beer and the process of reviewing and who's just ticking.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

grub wrote:yeah, i figured it was just the bobsy-ism of it and not some larger underlying conspiracy theory. i suppose if someone wanted to get extra fancy they could have separate links to the various sites at the end:

174532 / Grand River Brewing Russian Gun Imperial Stout / $4.50 / 500 (BA)(RB)(TBS)
This is a damn good idea. I may update the spring release this way, but I think it will be a good way of managing things in the future, and provide folks with more insight into the outstandingly high quality of the releases.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:
grub wrote:yeah, i figured it was just the bobsy-ism of it and not some larger underlying conspiracy theory. i suppose if someone wanted to get extra fancy they could have separate links to the various sites at the end:

This is a damn good idea. I may update the spring release this way, but I think it will be a good way of managing things in the future, and provide folks with more insight into the outstandingly high quality of the releases.
Agreed - that is a good idea. I will do the same for release announcements that I post to the News page and here in the forum.

Also, an administrative note since it has not been widely announced: as part of the changes recently made to the front/News page of the site, Bobsy & Troy and a couple of other folks have been given access to make News posts. Having an expanded team of people able to make News posts will hopefully make it easier to keep the newsfeed more timely.

And since Bobsy is a BA guy and I'm a RB guy, that explains why there was a change in the latest post. :wink:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've updated the links as Russ suggested, so you'll now find both Beer Advocate and Ratebeer listed. Here's the new list (sadly containing the same beers):

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=706

Any other suggestions and comments are welcome

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:I've updated the links as Russ suggested, so you'll now find both Beer Advocate and Ratebeer listed. Here's the new list (sadly containing the same beers):

http://www.bartowel.com/?p=706
And I've just updated it to have all of the LCBO numbers be links to the online inventory (although many of them will bring up a blank product screen at the moment, since most aren't in the system currently).

Have also edited the first post in this thread to match.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

did this release also include westmalle triple last year? if so thats two great trappist products missing in 2010.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

matt7215 wrote:did this release also include westmalle triple last year? if so thats two great trappist products missing in 2010.
Oh man... I think you're right. Depressing.