Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Some LCBO pricing updates

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Rogue Dead Guy Ale- old price $14.50
new price $16.35
+$1.85

the price increase on the Rogue Dead guy will probably kill the brand in the 6 pack format IMO.
I am curious are those prices going up because of a price increase from the brewery, or is the LCBO just arbitrarily raising prices?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

jaymack wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Hi Matt. As Velo says, they are already available. My store got them today. The price is the same. $2.45 I think.

I'm drinking one now.
As someone who drinks Czechvar on a very regular basis, I can say with certainty that there is a flavour difference with the cans. This seems more well rounded, perhaps a bit maltier, fresher. I don't think the green bottles were a good idea, but was used to them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Glad to hear a positive review of the canned version. I really enjoy the Czech and was a little surprised to read your original post about the swich to cans.
I just got word today that Zlatorog Lasko Pivo will also no longer be available in bottles and will be in canned format.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Just to play devil's advocate here - what if Rogue Dead Guy was available in singles priced at $2.75/bottle (equiavalent to $16.50 per six-pack)? Is there a psychological factor in effect here where $16.35 is a turn-off because it seems too much to spend in one go? Would you speculate that Dead Guy would survive as a single at that price point?

Take Peche Mortel, which is priced at $3.80 per bottle (equivalent to $22.80 for a six-pack - surely much higher than it is priced in Quebec). They can't keep that stuff on the shelves, yet how do you think it would fare if sold in sixers at nearly $23 a pop?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Gedge wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here - what if Rogue Dead Guy was available in singles priced at $2.75/bottle (equiavalent to $16.50 per six-pack)? Is there a psychological factor in effect here where $16.35 is a turn-off because it seems too much to spend in one go? Would you speculate that Dead Guy would survive as a single at that price point?

Take Peche Mortel, which is priced at $3.80 per bottle (equivalent to $22.80 for a six-pack - surely much higher than it is priced in Quebec). They can't keep that stuff on the shelves, yet how do you think it would fare if sold in sixers at nearly $23 a pop?
i believe we are all agreeing that $16.35 kills the 6pack format for this beer. i think singles for ~$2.75 would do just fine, hell i might even buy them.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

matt7215 wrote:
Gedge wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here - what if Rogue Dead Guy was available in singles priced at $2.75/bottle (equiavalent to $16.50 per six-pack)? Is there a psychological factor in effect here where $16.35 is a turn-off because it seems too much to spend in one go? Would you speculate that Dead Guy would survive as a single at that price point?

i believe we are all agreeing that $16.35 kills the 6pack format for this beer. i think singles for ~$2.75 would do just fine, hell i might even buy them.
I'm not overly fond of this pseudo-lager, but they do use quality ingredients, it's 40 IBU and around 6% abv... so if you compare it to the price of a 5% brew, it's not really horrific. Unfortunately, perception is reality.

Doesn't it make the Southern Tier look like one heck of deal!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

fullers ESB is now a LTO @ $2.25 / 500ml can