Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Some LCBO pricing updates

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Some LCBO pricing updates

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'm just taking a look at some pricing updates that will happen this coming Monday. there are a few of interest here, so I will list the couple that will interest our members.

Southern Tier IPA- Old price $13.40
New price $13.20
-.20 cents

Aventinus- Old price $2.95
New price $3.00
+.05 cents

Leffe brune and blonde- Old price $14.45
new price $ 14.95
+.50 cents

Rogue Dead Guy Ale- old price $14.50
new price $16.35
+$1.85

the price increase on the Rogue Dead guy will probably kill the brand in the 6 pack format IMO.

And as an aside to this, Czechvar will no longer be available in bottles. it is now coming in cans.

Cheers
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really like that ST is trying to keep it reasonable. I will keep buying the Southern Tier IPA and the occasional Porter in sixes.

Also very happy about the Propellor ESB, and the Prima Pils. both rockin' in six-packs. These 'staples' make my fridge very happy.

Yeah too bad for Rogue but they are known as an expensive brewer.
In Beerum Veritas

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

always good to see prices going down. And I think I like the idea of Czechvar in cans. Last time I bought one, it was extremely skunky.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thanks for the post. I'll grab some Dead Guy ahead of Monday.
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

hey len,
when can we expect the Czechvar in cans? do you know the price?

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

matt7215 wrote:hey len,
I saw some in the King/Spadina LCBO yesterday, although it was on the "restocking cart (?)" and didn't have shelf space or price. Didn't recall seeing it in this format before, but wasn't sure if I just missed the switch or what...Good to know!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:hey len,

Hi Matt. As Velo says, they are already available. My store got them today. The price is the same. $2.45 I think.

I'm drinking one now.
As someone who drinks Czechvar on a very regular basis, I can say with certainty that there is a flavour difference with the cans. This seems more well rounded, perhaps a bit maltier, fresher. I don't think the green bottles were a good idea, but was used to them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

new price $16.35
+$1.85
*insert sound of man being stabbed in the heart*

What is the most expensive six pack? Is this now it?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ralphus wrote:
new price $16.35
+$1.85
*insert sound of man being stabbed in the heart*

What is the most expensive six pack? Is this now it?

Yes it is. At least in terms of beer that comes in a 6 pack format.

This price increase WILL lead to a slump in sales and eventual de-list of this product. I have no doubts. This is the nail in the coffin for the dead guy.
Even craft beer lovers have a breaking point. This 6 pack is now approaching $20.00 and for what you get, it simply isn't worth it. Especially when you can get ST IPA, Anchor Steam, DFH 60, and whatever else for less money. Not that they are the same style of course, but this is an increase that the buying public will not agree with.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

new price $16.35
+$1.85

A 12.75% price increase overnight is substantial - and highly unusual (I think) for the LCBO.

the price increase on the Rogue Dead guy will probably kill the brand in the 6 pack format.

Surely the LCBO knows this?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah it's too bad for famously expensive Rogue.

But let's be honest. A lot of these beers we really like, there are maybe 60-200 six-packs floating around in the system at any time. That's SMALL. The fact that they are available at all in Ontario is good, I guess. These just aren't important numbers in business terms.

Which is to say I will buy Dead Guy if I want that beer, regardless if it's 15% more expensive. It's here, and I think just the variety is cool.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

That price is still good value. Although BC has way more good American beer available the prices are generally between $16 and $20 for a six.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Hi Matt. As Velo says, they are already available. My store got them today. The price is the same. $2.45 I think.

I'm drinking one now.
As someone who drinks Czechvar on a very regular basis, I can say with certainty that there is a flavour difference with the cans. This seems more well rounded, perhaps a bit maltier, fresher. I don't think the green bottles were a good idea, but was used to them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Glad to hear a positive review of the canned version. I really enjoy the Czech and was a little surprised to read your original post about the swich to cans.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jaymack wrote:
Glad to hear a positive review of the canned version. I really enjoy the Czech and was a little surprised to read your original post about the swich to cans.
I'm less than surprised:

Protects the product better than green glass, eco-friendly packaging & competes with canned Urquell.

The energy savings alone (much lighter transport than bottles, efficient recycling) could make a lot of brewers go to aluminum in the next five or ten years.
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Thanks for the update. I guess I'll pick up some Dead Guy before the price jump... possibly for the last time.