Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's 4-Packs!

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Queef wrote:Looking at reviews online of the screaming beaver to see of anywhere around Ottawa had it yet, looks like just toronto though. Did that Hog Town Harry guy used to work for Beaus or something? Sure has a hate on for some reason. Pretty funny in contrast to the decent reviews, maybe he works for someone else or something?
All beer reviews should be taken with a large grain of salt. Unless you actually know someone, and have an accurate read of their palate, its difficult to know how applicable their review is to whether you'd like the beer or not.

A thing of note in Harry's review is that he did actually drink from a different cask to the three other reviews out there (all of which are from the Rhino), which could go some way to explaining why his experience was different.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Some people just hate a brewery for little or no reasons.
I don't know Harry's reasons other than he just doesn't like the beer. But I don't really pay attention to what everyone is saying until I get to try the beer myself.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Queef

Post by Queef »

Bobsy wrote: A thing of note in Harry's review is that he did actually drink from a different cask to the three other reviews out there (all of which are from the Rhino), which could go some way to explaining why his experience was different.
I thought that at fist as well, until I checked out his other reviews of their beers out of curiosity.
More inclined to think what Len said, although it seems strangley motivated.
it's beer o'clock.

Queef

Post by Queef »

nice! I'm gonna trek out this weekend and see how horrible it really is!

http://twitter.com/beausallnatural

1. Screaming Beaver Oak Aged Angry IPA (Wild Oats No. 3) will be available at the brewery this weekend, oh yeah! http://bit.ly/94RAQP
it's beer o'clock.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Was the whole batch oak aged or just part of it? Intriguing.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I certainly thought there was some oakiness in it. This is from my BA review:
Quite sweet with a lot of caramel and some neat vanilla (did they use oak chips in this?)

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Queef wrote:nice! I'm gonna trek out this weekend and see how horrible it really is!

http://twitter.com/beausallnatural
1. Screaming Beaver Oak Aged Angry IPA (Wild Oats No. 3) will be available at the brewery this weekend, oh yeah! http://bit.ly/94RAQP
There were bottling it this afternoon. Unfortunately, I was there in the morning :( There were also temporarily out of the Beaver River.

At least the Cheshire Cat has the Screaming Beaver on cask right now.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:Was the whole batch oak aged or just part of it? Intriguing.
All of it, as far as I know. I guess the casks that have been sent out in the last week or two were just an advance taste before the bottling.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

JerCraigs wrote:Was the whole batch oak aged or just part of it? Intriguing.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the board at the brewery included oak-aged in the description. I think I should have been paying more attention.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Harry never worked at Beau's and i'm not sure why, but he's had a hate on for us since day 1. To my knowledge I've never met him, and hope to keep it that way. What I don't understand is why he goes out of his way to try every single one of our beers, when he knows he is going to hate it.

It is actually kind of funny to read through his posts containing gems like

" this beersickle IS interesting... but I found it sort of harsh and boring'

"The taste - I want to like it, but it’s persistently harsh ...overly pungent generic bitterness... I found irritating... extremely astringent, with a long generic dry/bitter finish. Not all that bad, actually."

" my hat is off to you, Beaus - well done"

"ehhh, it’s a Beau’s, my expectations weren’t that high so no worries"

Dude is at least consistently inconsistent!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

BTW Steve, thought the Vrienden was great. Also, is it just me or does Koenigshoeven Quad share a similar flavour profile with bog water??? I remember the last time I had Bogwater on tap it struck me as being very similar to something else. When I had the Quad at Mercury the other night I was positive that's what I had in mind.

Oh, and what's up with the $7 half-pints at the Tulip Festival!?

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

I found the malt & yeast profiles to be similar and I thought they were both delicious...but I'm quite biased!

I'm loving the Vrienden, too, and I'm super super happy with Screaming Beaver. The vanilla from the oak smooths out the bitterness sooooo nicely.

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Oh I forgot to mention about Screaming Beaver...

We added Oak Staves into the aging tank, so the whole batch was oaked.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Queef wrote:Looking at reviews online of the screaming beaver to see of anywhere around Ottawa had it yet, looks like just toronto though. Did that Hog Town Harry guy used to work for Beaus or something? Sure has a hate on for some reason. Pretty funny in contrast to the decent reviews, maybe he works for someone else or something?
Decent reviews? Really? Maybe on BA. Lugtread is nothing more than Ontario meritocracy in fancy packaging. Every time I see the lovely looking Lugtread at the LCBO, I want to buy it, but then quickly remember how incredibly boring it is. Homers. Sorry, Just cranky with middle of the road brewing in this province.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

more proof that you can't please everyone!

Or is it...

mer·i·toc·ra·cy   [mer-i-tok-ruh-see] Show IPA
–noun,plural-cies.
1.an elite group of people whose progress is based on ability and talent rather than on class privilege or wealth.
2.a system in which such persons are rewarded and advanced: The dean believes the educational system should be a meritocracy.
3.leadership by able and talented persons
Last edited by SteveB on Mon May 17, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.