Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Product Call - Spring Beers 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Roland + Russell

LCBO Product Call - Spring Beers 2011

Post by Roland + Russell »

The upcoming LCBO Product Call for Spring Beers 2011 (samples due April 6) specifies the following criteria:

- Products appropriate for the Spring Season (i.e. Bock beers) and St. Patrick's Day will be considered.
- Single serving format (500 mL)
- Proven track record in other markets
- Renowned or award winning
- One-Time Only Purchase

Please see our beer portfolio (http://www.rolandandrussell.com/Beer.html) for suggestions as to what beers you would like us to submit.

Please keep in mind that a brewery's input and final blessing is required.

Thanks so much.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I don't know what release this would fit in... but I'd LOVE to see Het Anker Margriet back. I loved it.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I've always thought the LCBO's rigid desire to classify beers as 'appropriate for the x season' is a bit silly, but putting that out of mind I'd say:

Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor
De Struise Struiselensis
Southern Tier Krampus
Saint Landelin La Divine
Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza
Norrebro La Granja Stout

In an ideal world, you'd submit Hopsinjoor and Jolly Pumpkin, and the LCBO will order it by the freighterload.

In a super ideal world you'd grab Ayinger and we'd be sorted for lagers! There are some German breweries out there who seem tailor made for the LCBO's Spring release - Ayinger, Tucher, Andechs, etc...

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bobsy wrote:I've always thought the LCBO's rigid desire to classify beers as 'appropriate for the x season' is a bit silly...
It is interesting that they don't say to Vintages agents: only white wines will be available in spring and summer, reds in winter and fall.

JimC

Post by JimC »

I'd love to see Struise Pannepot make a release.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:
Bobsy wrote:I've always thought the LCBO's rigid desire to classify beers as 'appropriate for the x season' is a bit silly...
It is interesting that they don't say to Vintages agents: only white wines will be available in spring and summer, reds in winter and fall.
Absurdly, you could select or reject almost any beer for some criterion or other if you invented enough of them.

I doubt this is the intent of those criteria. But the LC does seem to dismiss a huge portfolio of internationally-acclaimed beers because they don't like the carton, don't like the dividers, don't like the label art, don't like the name, don't like the exact markings or size or shape or height etc etc etc...
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

My picks:

Het Anker Hopsinjoor or Tripel
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
Southern Tier Unearthly
JesseMcG wrote:but I'd LOVE to see Het Anker Margriet back.
Back? It never left. Not a bad beer, but a slow seller, I think. Still plenty around.
Here's to the slow path.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
Bytowner wrote:
Absurdly, you could select or reject almost any beer for some criterion or other if you invented enough of them.

I doubt this is the intent of those criteria. But the LC does seem to dismiss a huge portfolio of internationally-acclaimed beers because they don't like the carton, don't like the dividers, don't like the label art, don't like the name, don't like the exact markings or size or shape or height etc etc etc...
They do the exact same with wine; it's not just a beer thing!!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Hopsinjoor, ST Gemini or Unearthly

JP Luciernaga would be awesome, though its apparently a June release acc. to their website?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Hopefully the LCBO is privatized before the year is up, but assuming it isn't, my suggestions are:

- Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor
- Gouden Carolus Tripel
- Anything from Jolly Pumpkin
- Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
- Any of Mikkeller's IPA's
- Southern Tier Hoppe
- Southern Tier Gemini
- Southern Tier Unearthly
- Southern Tier Iniquity

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:Hopefully the LCBO is privatized before the year is up,

HA!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Jolly Pumpkin. To get even one of their releases in (Any of them!) would be fantastic and a huge step forward for the LCBO.

On a more realistic note, Mikkeler Beer Geek Breakfast and ST Iniquity would be swell.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

ST Gemini
Nørrebro North Bridge Extreme
Anything from Jolly Pumpkin
Brewdog Hardcore IPA
Any Mikkeller IPA/IIPA, all others pale

Double IPAs have been non existent at the LCBO. Please end the drought.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

anything jolly pumpkin

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

gimme any Jolly Pumpkin and Souther Tier Unearthly and I'll be happy.

[/keeping it realistic]