Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Belhaven Best Ale

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Belhaven Best Ale

Post by cratez »

Might be late on this, but Belhaven Best Ale is now available in 440ml cans at The Beer Store: http://www.thebeerstore.ca/Beers/brandd ... sp?id=2217

Beer Advocate considers it "worthy" (B-) while Rate Beer gives it a 26 overall. Sounds like a run-of-the-mill English bitter. I'm gonna try it once my current stuff runs out. Any thoughts on or experiences with this beer?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

if this beer is their best, then it is a sad state of affiairs. it was on tap at morrissey house and it was about as flavourful as guinness.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:if this beer is their best, then it is a sad state of affiairs. it was on tap at morrissey house and it was about as flavourful as guinness.
Seconded. Mediocre when I had it on tap a year or so back. Definitely not one to revisit.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I'm pretty sure they were pouring samples of this at the British Isles ca. 5 years ago. The rep said to expect to see it in stores soon!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is one of those beers that I think people like because of that fake creamy carbonation. Like Guinness, Kilkenney, or Boddingtons. Almost no flavour at all. Like creamy bitter water. The worst offender of course being Guinness. People describe it as a meal in a glass. It is one of the lightest and least flavourful beers I have ever tasted.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

Indeed Len, my wife once decribed Guinness as "tasteless and watery". Belhaven Best is worse. I had it on tap and it was a nitro pour, so it looked impressive, but there wasn't much going on.

Now if only they would bring back the Belhaven Twisted Thistle. I really enjoyed that one.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

yeah its terrible stuff. Saw it on tap at corks in notl and thought id give it a try. The waitor told me it was a bitter and he thought it was good. Upon getting it i was saddened by the no2 and lack of any flavor. Ill never try that stuff again.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Glad I passed and picked up a sixer of Hoptical instead. Good to know.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:This is one of those beers that I think people like because of that fake creamy carbonation.
You nailed it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

So let me get this straight - The Beer Store is selling a flavourless light beer that appeals to the masses? I don't believe it! :o

Given the bad reviews of Belhaven, I'll probably go for Boxer Lager or Wildcat instead...

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

As an aside, I was on a trip to eastern Scotland (Aberdeen to Edinburgh) in 2008 and this beer was absolutely everywhere. I agree with all assessments above. Tasteless. Very disappointing beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:So let me get this straight - The Beer Store is selling a flavourless light beer that appeals to the masses? I don't believe it! :o

Given the bad reviews of Belhaven, I'll probably go for Boxer Lager or Wildcat instead...

Mike, if you want a can of Boxer I can do that!

I also have the Backstreet Boys and N'sync Cd's that you left at my place last week.