Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

LCBO Summer 2010 Release

Post by Bobsy »

I think its pretty common knowledge that our good friends at HMH will be bringing a tasty Dieu de Ciel beer to the LCBO this summer, however, I've also gotten word of a few of the other releases that we can expect this year. As a teaser, here's three of the ones I heard about:

Sam Adams Summer Ale
Schneider Hopfen-Weisse
Trafalgar Cherry Ale

I wonder how much the Schneider will come in at?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Maybe Trafalgar is finally playing to their strength and are releasing a sour cherry ale... :P
lister

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Is the Hopfen-Weisse Brooklyner-Schneider or Schneider-Brooklyner? BA has them listed as separate beers with slightly different ABVs. Also, I've heard that DDC is selling five new beers in the LCBO this summer, and Rosée D'hibiscus is just one of them. Can anyone else confirm/attest to this?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

cratez wrote:Is the Hopfen-Weisse Brooklyner-Schneider or Schneider-Brooklyner? BA has them listed as separate beers with slightly different ABVs. Also, I've heard that DDC is selling five new beers in the LCBO this summer, and Rosée D'hibiscus is just one of them. Can anyone else confirm/attest to this?
I believe its the Schneider brewed version, though I've had both, and frankly either is welcome.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/72/37774

As far as DDC is concerned, only one beer will be in the summer release, so any additional ones would have to be general list. I've actually heard nothing about that at all, and would love if it came about.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The way Corne and Peche sold, I think the LCBO would be foolish not to add both those beers to the general list. They were both very successful as seasonals. I couldn't believe how fast those beers were moving off the shelves, and in Barrie of all places.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Hopfen-Weisse!
Hopfen-Weisse!
Hopfen-Weisse!
:D :D :D

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

cratez wrote:Also, I've heard that DDC is selling five new beers in the LCBO this summer, and Rosée D'hibiscus is just one of them. Can anyone else confirm/attest to this?
I've heard a buzz that the LCBO will be doing a special DDC spotlight release, and it will be considered a test run for other brewery spotlights in the future. I've not heard of a timeframe for it, but that's probably what you've heard about.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

sstackho wrote:Hopfen-Weisse!
Hopfen-Weisse!
Hopfen-Weisse!
:D :D :D
It's a beer worthy of that sort of excitement.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

GregClow wrote:
cratez wrote:Also, I've heard that DDC is selling five new beers in the LCBO this summer, and Rosée D'hibiscus is just one of them. Can anyone else confirm/attest to this?
I've heard a buzz that the LCBO will be doing a special DDC spotlight release, and it will be considered a test run for other brewery spotlights in the future. I've not heard of a timeframe for it, but that's probably what you've heard about.
Yes, it was along those lines. I'm sure we'll all agree that the sooner it happens, the better! :)

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

[quote="lister"]Maybe Trafalgar is finally playing to their strength and are releasing a sour cherry ale... :P[/quote]

An imperial lactose infected

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

GregClow wrote:
If that does come to fruition - given this brewery's eye-catching labels, interesting and unusual sounding offerings and their proven track record with beer geeks and non-beer geeks alike - we can only assume it will be successful. That has really exciting implications, not only for Dieu du Ciel, but the thought that other breweries currently represented in the province (Southern Tier, DogFish Head, Gouden Carolus, etc) or even others not yet in the system will be given similar spotlight.

I really hate to say anything too soon but given this news and all the other progress we've seen of late (increased seasonals from local brewers, a new brewpub, the introduction and wildfire expansion of HMH Beer Negotiants, seemingly more effort on the LCBO's behalf to support micros, Beau's packaging innovations and environmental initiatives, not to mention the rumor of a potential collaboration... so on and so forth, I'm sure I'm leaving something out) things are really starting to look up for the Ontario beer scene overall.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The LCBO is starting a "Brewery Feature" program this year. Breweries are being considered by invitation only by the LCBO beer group.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:The LCBO is starting a "Brewery Feature" program this year. Breweries are being considered by invitation only by the LCBO beer group.
so the breweries must be invited by the LCBO beer group? care to share their contact info so we can pass on some suggestions?

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

Cass wrote:The LCBO is starting a "Brewery Feature" program this year. Breweries are being considered by invitation only by the LCBO beer group.

This can only mean that the Trafalgar tentacles will reach further into the heart of the LCBO.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
If that does come to fruition - given this brewery's eye-catching labels, interesting and unusual sounding offerings and their proven track record with beer geeks and non-beer geeks alike - we can only assume it will be successful. That has really exciting implications, not only for Dieu du Ciel, but the thought that other breweries currently represented in the province...
Every time I open a Ten Bitter I think about Corne having come here just half a year ago. Certainly the more cool styles are shown sell, the more local brewers may up the ante. (Not to say that waas Ken's motivation for the X.)

All which could be quite interesting.
In Beerum Veritas