Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cfrancis wrote:I was in the Rideau/King Edward store tonight after work. Some of these are already on the shelves.
what ones??

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The agent for Ölvisholt Brugghús Skjalfti contacted me to let me know that the format will be 500ml, not 330ml as reported by the LCBO. I've updated the first post in this thread and the News post to reflect this.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Obviously psyched on Hopfen-Weisse, but also happy to see Rosee d'Hibiscus and Edelweiss (a good deal for a decent refreshing wheat beer), and Christoffel. Curious about the ginger beer, and I have a few friends who will be excited for Samuel Smith's Raspberry.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

matt7215 wrote:
cfrancis wrote:I was in the Rideau/King Edward store tonight after work. Some of these are already on the shelves.
what ones??
Pumphouse Blueberry Sixers
Christoffel Blonde

I didn't really look closely, I was going in for something specific so I was in and out but I did notice the Pumphouse and the Christoffel.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Hm, interesting release, I'll certainly grab a couple. Thanks Bobsy!

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

biegaman wrote:
On a separate note, that Skjálfti is from Iceland!??! That's got to be a new 'tick' for most people out there.
I am excited for this one. Last year in Iceland my buddy and I went looking for this brewery and got lost. We were driving on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere and pulled over to ask some guy, who was flying a kite with his kids, if he knew of this place. He ended up being the owner and the brewery was in his barn. He brought us around and gave us samples of all their offerings. The beer that is coming is decent, nothing mind blowing, but good. Hopefully, next time the Mori or the Lave make it over, both of those were outstanding.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Raisy wrote:
biegaman wrote:
On a separate note, that Skjálfti is from Iceland!??! That's got to be a new 'tick' for most people out there.
I am excited for this one. Last year in Iceland my buddy and I went looking for this brewery and got lost. We were driving on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere and pulled over to ask some guy, who was flying a kite with his kids, if he knew of this place. He ended up being the owner and the brewery was in his barn. He brought us around and gave us samples of all their offerings. The beer that is coming is decent, nothing mind blowing, but good. Hopefully, next time the Mori or the Lave make it over, both of those were outstanding.
thats one of the better "driving down a dirt road in iceland" stories i heard

im also excited for this beer

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Raisy wrote:
biegaman wrote:
That's brilliant - just don't tell the LCBO his brewery is in a barn. They'll pull it from the shelves and label it "unfit for human consumption" even if it already passed the lab.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Raisy wrote:
That's a great story, the kind that makes me proud to drink craft beer. Mediocre a beer though it likely will be, I already like it after reading your story, thanks for sharing!

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Dear Great Lakes
Please replace Green Tea with Miami Weisse
I could drink that beer all summer.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

wittaker wrote:Dear Great Lakes
I second that.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

velovampire wrote:
wittaker wrote:Dear Great Lakes
I second that.
Third. Should we start a petition?

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

Not a great release IMO. But after looking back at last years summer release, it suddenly looks a bit better. Then after looking back at the 08 release, it now looks a lot better.

Really lookimng forward to Hopfen weisse. Will definitely try the Gaffel Kolsch, Skjalfti, Hitachino and Rosee D'hibiscus (though I wouldve preffered something else from DDC). I like the Christoffel and will grab a few of those as well.

Not a big fan of the Green Tea, edelweiss and Sam Adams summer ale. I think its the 3rd year in a row for the SA summer ale, and I think its time to bring in something else from SA. Its not like they are lacking in quantity of different beers brewed. Cant believe the price on the Sam Smiths, have to think thats a mistake. Cant see myself trying it at that price.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Hawks28 wrote:Not a great release IMO. But after looking back at last years summer release, it suddenly looks a bit better. Then after looking back at the 08 release, it now looks a lot better.

Really lookimng forward to Hopfen weisse. Will definitely try the Gaffel Kolsch, Skjalfti, Hitachino and Rosee D'hibiscus (though I wouldve preffered something else from DDC). I like the Christoffel and will grab a few of those as well.

Not a big fan of the Green Tea, edelweiss and Sam Adams summer ale. I think its the 3rd year in a row for the SA summer ale, and I think its time to bring in something else from SA. Its not like they are lacking in quantity of different beers brewed. Cant believe the price on the Sam Smiths, have to think thats a mistake. Cant see myself trying it at that price.
Maybe Jim and the gang at the Boston Beer Co. are liquidating product that won't sell stateside... :P

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Too bad they couldn't squeeze in Westmalle T. They bring it in for one season, teasing us with it and then pull it off the shelf. Bastards!!! Kind of a flat selection. Who makes these decisions and don't they ever visit beer rating sites when considering new comers?

Also, are they in a habit of making additions to this list later on or is this pretty much going to be a final list?