Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

A poor release, IMO, since I'm not particularly a fan of fruit or wheat beers (though I will try the Hopfen Weisse, given everyone's very positive recommendation). Looks like my personal summer release will again be B.O. Summer Saison!

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

A couple winners and a couple interesting sounding brews, but is there really a market for fruit-flavoured beer?

I'll be loading up on the Hopfen Weisse - by pedigree alone, it should be a winner.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some good picks. I'll let everyone know if Gaffel is worth it after I'm in Cologne in 2 weeks :P

JB

Post by JB »

The year's first batch of Green Tea Ale was brewed today (I think our brewer's still finishing up actually), and we've made some tweaks since last year.

We're confident it'll end up with a much more pronounced "tea" flavour, and much closer to what we originally intended. We've also adjusted some fermentation times and temperatures to help it really come out nice.

It should be a nice summer drinker, and I encourage everyone to give it another shot even if it wasn't your cup of tea last year.

John

kona

Post by kona »

biegaman wrote:On a separate note, that Skjálfti is from Iceland!??! That's got to be a new 'tick' for most people out there.
I would urge bartowellers to give this beer a try. Iceland's craft beer market is in its infancy having only legalized beer in 1989 after decades of prohibition. Support now could mean some very interesting brews in the future.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

When is the summer release supposed to start showing up in stores?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kwjd wrote:When is the summer release supposed to start showing up in stores?
fall :o

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
kwjd wrote:When is the summer release supposed to start showing up in stores?
fall :o
Let's cut em a little slack Matt. I'll say winter of 2012. :P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JB wrote: The year's first batch of Green Tea Ale was brewed today (I think our brewer's still finishing up actually), and we've made some tweaks since last year. We're confident it'll end up with a much more pronounced "tea" flavour, and much closer to what we originally intended. We've also adjusted some fermentation times and temperatures to help it really come out nice. It should be a nice summer drinker, and I encourage everyone to give it another shot even if it wasn't your cup of tea last year. John
Good to hear. I'll give it another go!
kona wrote: I would urge bartowellers to give this beer a try. Iceland's craft beer market is in its infancy having only legalized beer in 1989 after decades of prohibition. Support now could mean some very interesting brews in the future.
Didn't know this. BA lists Skjálfti as a California Common, so it might be worth trying just by virtue of the style's rarity.
Last edited by cratez on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I really didn't like the Hitachino Ginger last time I tried it, but I'll give it another shake. I'm happy to see Christoffel Bier back, which I enjoyed quite a bit more than the Nobel anyways. Hopfen-weisse truly deserves its reputation. Being organic, I'll assume the Sam Smiths will have a natural raspberry flavour to it. I like the Edelweiss Snowfresh, but I'm strongly biased in favour of weissbier anyways. I'll give Lug Tread another go after my previous negative experience with it, and drink it after the Gaffel in order to compare. I really liked Peche and Corne, so I'm looking forward to trying another offering from Dieu du Ciel.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

mintjellie wrote:I really didn't like the Hitachino Ginger last time I tried it, but I'll give it another shake.
Yeah, the Hitachino Ginger definitely isn't one of thier better beers. I hope it does extremely well though and opens the door for more of thier beers in subsequent releases similar to the histories of Schneider, Christoffel, Rogue, Dieu du Ciel etc. Hitachino's Espresso Stout is a world beater IMO. Hopefully it'll make its way into a fall or winter release.

Not a bad release. Not great, but not bad.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JB wrote:T Green Tea Ale ... should be a nice summer drinker, and I encourage everyone to give it another shot even if it wasn't your cup of tea last year.
It tasted a good deal like ice tea actually! And I will.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Good part about the Rosee (can't find the accented e) making it's way here is I can grab a bottle whenever I want during the summer and try a couple new beers when I hit Quebec!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

outside of the hopen-weisse, which will help convert people to craft beer,
ho-hum

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I was in the Rideau/King Edward store tonight after work. Some of these are already on the shelves.