Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Lukie wrote:Too bad they couldn't squeeze in Westmalle T. They bring it in for one season, teasing us with it and then pull it off the shelf. Bastards!!! Kind of a flat selection. Who makes these decisions and don't they ever visit beer rating sites when considering new comers?

Also, are they in a habit of making additions to this list later on or is this pretty much going to be a final list?
LCBO doesn't do pleasant surprises, just crushing disappointments. Sometimes a general release might sneak by us, but I don't know if I can remember a last minute addition to a seasonal release.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Bytowner wrote:
Lukie wrote:Too bad they couldn't squeeze in Westmalle T. They bring it in for one season, teasing us with it and then pull it off the shelf. Bastards!!! Kind of a flat selection. Who makes these decisions and don't they ever visit beer rating sites when considering new comers?

Also, are they in a habit of making additions to this list later on or is this pretty much going to be a final list?
LCBO doesn't do pleasant surprises, just crushing disappointments. Sometimes a general release might sneak by us, but I don't know if I can remember a last minute addition to a seasonal release.
This may sound like a naive question but why can't the LCBO, with all its vast resources, try to get the best rated beers every season? Or do they just believe taste is entirely relative and they can please us with these (mostly) half ass brews?
Can anyone on this site, who works for the LCBO purchasing dept., explain why they cannot strive to consistently bring in the best (i.e., highest rated by consensus) beers? I realize there must be many criteria for the decision makers, but if they'd only consider beer ratings from sites like RB or BA, I'm sure we'd see better selections made more consistently. My suggestion is that they should form a small volunteer panel, made up of beer connoisseurs to help make these seasonal picks.

frosken

Post by frosken »

I'm glad to see Gaffel FINALLY coming to Ontario, although you can get it in SAQs since last summer.

Don't compare Beau's LT to a real Kolsch. A great summer beer and reminds me of Koln. Now if Fruh, Sion and Kuppers would be available here...

If you've never tried a Kolsch, try it...

my $0.02

frosken

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Lukie wrote:This may sound like a naive question but why can't the LCBO, with all its vast resources, try to get the best rated beers every season? Or do they just believe taste is entirely relative and they can please us with these (mostly) half ass brews?
The seasonal releases are put together from beers that are submitted to the LCBO for consideration by import agents. If a brewery is not represented in Ontario, then their beers will not appear in a seasonal release, regardless of how highly rated they are.

And then there's also the question of how valid the ratings on RB and BA really are. Don't get me wrong - I rate myself on RB (well, I'm about a year behind on entering my notes...), and I often refer to it to get info and opinions on particular beers. But it can't be denied that the top beers on both sites tend to skew towards "extreme" beers of various sorts - massive hop bombs, barrel aged monsters, etc. Unless they were to look for highly rated beers by style, we'd never see some of the more subtle styles represented.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

GregClow wrote: I rate myself on RB
Greg Clow (B+):

Light appearance with a reasonable sized head. Completely opaque when held up to the light. Aroma of horseblanket and mild funk. Meaty flavour with light berry notes and a touch of hay. Significant alcohol was discernible. Medium to full bodied - slightly chewy.

While not to everyone's taste I think this one has session potential. Would recommend to others.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
GregClow wrote: I rate myself on RB
Greg Clow (B+):

Light appearance with a reasonable sized head. Completely opaque when held up to the light. Aroma of horseblanket and mild funk. Meaty flavour with light berry notes and a touch of hay. Significant alcohol was discernible. Medium to full bodied - slightly chewy.

While not to everyone's taste I think this one has session potential. Would recommend to others.
Notable alcohol presence. Lightly peppery with a hint of sourness. A bit nondescript at present, although I think this one might age & integrate very well if set aside for two to four years. 3.7 / 5
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Lukie wrote:Too bad they couldn't squeeze in Westmalle T. They bring it in for one season, teasing us with it and then pull it off the shelf. Bastards!!! Kind of a flat selection. Who makes these decisions and don't they ever visit beer rating sites when considering new comers?...
I wonder if it was submitted. (Didn't we have this same complaint about Orval, only to find out that it was never submitted by the importer?)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

GregClow wrote:
Lukie wrote:This may sound like a naive question but why can't the LCBO, with all its vast resources, try to get the best rated beers every season? Or do they just believe taste is entirely relative and they can please us with these (mostly) half ass brews?
The seasonal releases are put together from beers that are submitted to the LCBO for consideration by import agents. If a brewery is not represented in Ontario, then their beers will not appear in a seasonal release, regardless of how highly rated they are.
I drove down to Vermont to go to Magic Hat last summer and took the tour. I think someone might have asked and the guy said they aren't even in all 50 US States yet so between wanting to get better distribution in their own country and all kinds of red tape they would have to go through to get into Canada, they basically said that with the amount of beer they produce, they just aren't interested. I imagine that it would be the same for a lot of smaller US breweries.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Some products are cursed. Like other importers, Esprit has in the past experienced unreasonable delays, headaches and fees due to LCBO's little games over packaging et cetera. The 2008 LCBO release of Orval was switched to 12-packs to meet the LC strict carton standards... however then the importer got hit with twice the per-case fees because there were now double the number of cases - even to bring in the same total number of bottles. Did not even matter if they were 12- or 24- packs, bizarre.

So I speculate Esprit can no longer meet the LCBO's low price point for Orval, whereas in dealing with more expensive private orders any costs can be passed on to the end purchaser.

We were warned this prpduct (and Weltenburger) could be going away from stores for good.
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Kel Varnsen wrote: I think someone might have asked and the guy said they aren't even in all 50 US States yet so between wanting to get better distribution in their own country and all kinds of red tape they would have to go through to get into Canada, they basically said that with the amount of beer they produce, they just aren't interested. I imagine that it would be the same for a lot of smaller US breweries.
Yup, I've heard the same story at just about every US micro I've visited too. Having to jump through all the LCBO's hoops definitely plays into it, but essentially these breweries are more concerned with ensuring their distribution first in their own state, secondly in key markets, and by extension, throughout more of the continental US.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
GregClow wrote:
I drove down to Vermont to go to Magic Hat last summer and took the tour. I think someone might have asked and the guy said they aren't even in all 50 US States yet so between wanting to get better distribution in their own country and all kinds of red tape they would have to go through to get into Canada, they basically said that with the amount of beer they produce, they just aren't interested. I imagine that it would be the same for a lot of smaller US breweries.
this is not a response directly to Kels comments but rather to this topic as a whole.

the only way we are going to get "better" beer in ontario any time soon is if our ontario breweries brew it and we the craft beer enthusists of ontario support them when they do.

10BY is a great example of what i hope becomes the norm. an ontario brewery brewed a great beer and it sold out quickly. win-win

other breweries are coming out with more interesting stuff as well (Beaus, Flying Monkeys, Great Lakes)

others seem to be stuck in light lager/golden blonde ale/light wheat ale mode.

so lets do our part to show the breweries that are progressing that we will support them when they make the types of beer we are lacking.

we have 50+ breweries in this pronvince and any one of them could make up for the lack of Magic Hat, if we support them when they brew the beer we're missing.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

What was the issue with Orval not meeting packaging requirements?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:What was the issue with Orval not meeting packaging requirements?
the carton was not LCBO approved, something to do with how the bottles were seperated from each other if i remember correctly

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:
mintjellie wrote:What was the issue with Orval not meeting packaging requirements?
the carton was not LCBO approved, something to do with how the bottles were seperated from each other if i remember correctly
Which is no excuse as all agents and suppliers know the packaging regulations as they are all laid out quite clearly in the guidelines.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Which is no excuse as all agents and suppliers know the packaging regulations as they are all laid out quite clearly in the guidelines.
And if the Brewer does not meet the LCBO's ridiculous guidelines there is no reason they should feel the need to jump through the ringmaster's hoops so a few thousand people can enjoy the product when the current packaging is acceptable elsewhere
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole