Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
mintjellie wrote:What was the issue with Orval not meeting packaging requirements?
the carton was not LCBO approved, something to do with how the bottles were seperated from each other if i remember correctly
Which is no excuse as all agents and suppliers know the packaging regulations as they are all laid out quite clearly in the guidelines.
Does nothing to help the resulting lack of so many products. Suppliers just don't bother with Ontario any more.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

On roughly what date does this tsumnami of mediocrity wash over the GTA?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:On roughly what date does this tsumnami of mediocrity wash over the GTA?
A couple of the beers are already in stores, and the Trade & media tasting is this Friday, so the others should follow very soon after. I expect most/all of the beers will be available by the end of the month.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:Schneider Hopfen Weisse / $3.25 / 500ml
Great Lakes Green Tea Ale / $4.95 / 650ml
Christoffel Bier / $2.95 / 330ml
Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew / $3.95 / 330ml
Dieu du Ciel Rosée d’Hibiscus / $3.10 / 341ml
Samuel Smiths Organic Raspberry Ale / $5.50 / 550ml l
Will buy. The Christoffel and especially the Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse are my real interests. Would get the Hitachino and Green Tea as re-tries. Sammy Smith is expensive innit! A well-rated Fruit. DDC Rosée will need to be sessioned to really decide if I like it.

May not re-visit the Sam Adams Summer or the Gaffel Kölsch.
In Beerum Veritas

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Belgian wrote: DDC Rosée will need to be sessioned to really decide if I like it.
I got a couple of bottles of it as part of a DDC mixed pack a few weeks ago when I went to Gatineau. I wasn't really impressed. To me it tasted too much like fizzy alcoholic grapefruit juice.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Trafalger Cherry Ale in stores today!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:Trafalger Cherry Ale in stores today!

I want to see your review before I buy one.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Anyone have the LCBO numbers yet?
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

ill defer to jessem for the proper review

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

nickelass wrote:Anyone have the LCBO numbers yet?
Yup. I got 'em today, and have just updated the first post in this thread to include them.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Noticed a Erdinger Weissbier Football Gift Pack in the LC today. 5 x 500 ml bottles with a tall World Cup looking trophy .5 l glass. #00169359 $19.95.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Many of the beers in the release were at Queen's Quay today. Gaffel Kolsch was the one I bought, but also IIRC Pumphouse Blueberry, Christoffel, Snowfresh, Hacker-Pschorr, Sam Smith. But not the Hopfen Weisse.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

GregClow wrote:
nickelass wrote:Anyone have the LCBO numbers yet?
Yup. I got 'em today, and have just updated the first post in this thread to include them.
Awesome, thank you!
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

Ditto.
Aventinus rules!

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
mintjellie wrote:What was the issue with Orval not meeting packaging requirements?
the carton was not LCBO approved, something to do with how the bottles were seperated from each other if i remember correctly
Which is no excuse as all agents and suppliers know the packaging regulations as they are all laid out quite clearly in the guidelines.
I beg to differ. Its not as though these other packaging formats pose any kind of a risk for the buyer. Why should they all be absolutly uniform? How is it that any other private liquor merchant can accept different packaging formats and something as vast as the LCBO cannot? This has nothing to do with safety or logisitics and everything to do with government bureaucrats wanting to flex their muscle. Just further proof that government has no business selling alcohol (they can regulate to some degree but they shouldn't sell). The LCBO should be thankful that legendary beer breweries even want to do business with its backward, wasteful time consuming , nanny state procedures.

As for the LCBO insisting that beers meet a certain price criteria this is a clear bias against beers. How come I routinely see ultra expansive vodkas and wines and the same cannot apply to beer if thats whats its going for in the marketplace?