Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2010 Release (Full list)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Well done Lukie. Again, you've got it all figured out.
See, one of you types shows up around here every few months. Taking shots at me every chance they get, just because I work for the LCBO. Little do you realize that I work for the system we all have hatred for, but I CAN make a difference in the service I provide and the knowledge I provide, when it comes to beer. I make displays of craft beer at my store. I recommend craft beer to all my customers. I go over the heads of the managers and order shit in anyway, despite them not wanting me to. I send my customer's to Chancey Smith's to try every single great beer they can. I help our brewers move product and do my best to promote the industry we all love. I'm no LCBO apologist, despite your thoughts. Anyone around here can tell you I work WITH the system to try to make even a little change that I can. But at least I try. I've been thanked many times by many of our craft brewers for my efforts. I've provided this forum with insider info so many times it isn't funny. Occasionally, it is stuff I probably shouldn't be sharing.I just wish other LCBO employees had the same passions that I do. So don't be so quick to judge. You want Hopfen weisse? I'm the guy to get it to you if it doesn't show up.
If you're such a rebel, then why do you apologize for and deflect any criticism of the LCBO? Debunking conspiracy theories is one thing (although you might want to note that most people just put them forward to make light of the whole sad situation that the LCBO creates for us beer lovers), but refusing to acknowledge any legitimate criticism of this obviously backwards organziation is another.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Well done Lukie. Again, you've got it all figured out.
See, one of you types shows up around here every few months. Taking shots at me every chance they get, just because I work for the LCBO. Little do you realize that I work for the system we all have hatred for, but I CAN make a difference in the service I provide and the knowledge I provide, when it comes to beer. I make displays of craft beer at my store. I recommend craft beer to all my customers. I go over the heads of the managers and order shit in anyway, despite them not wanting me to. I send my customer's to Chancey Smith's to try every single great beer they can. I help our brewers move product and do my best to promote the industry we all love. I'm no LCBO apologist, despite your thoughts. Anyone around here can tell you I work WITH the system to try to make even a little change that I can. But at least I try. I've been thanked many times by many of our craft brewers for my efforts. I've provided this forum with insider info so many times it isn't funny. Occasionally, it is stuff I probably shouldn't be sharing.I just wish other LCBO employees had the same passions that I do. So don't be so quick to judge. You want Hopfen weisse? I'm the guy to get it to you if it doesn't show up.
If you're such a rebel, then why do you apologize and deflect any criticism of the LCBO? Debunking consipriacy theories is one thing (although you might want to note that most people just put them forward to make light of the whole silly situation that is the lcbo), but refusing the acknowledge any criticism of this obviously backwards organziation is another.

I'm not a rebel. I just do what I think to be right.
Whether that means that we get an extra 8 cases of Creemore Keller, or random cases of of beer from Scotch Irish, or Great Lakes.....I do what I can, while working WITHIN THE SYSTEM. I can't perform miracles.

I know what's wrong the with system. We all do. We've been here on bartowel for years and we've seen the LCBO bashing threads ad nauseam. With good reason. But I'm no apologist. I try to provide an inside account of what is going on based on my personal experiences. And every time I do, I get attacked from random users. I'M ON YOUR FUCKING SIDE!!.I'm one of the few who can speak from within the organization.. Certainly, you can appreciate this.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Folks, this thread is to discuss the LCBO Summer release, and the beers in it.

If you want to discuss anything else about the LCBO - slamming them, praising them, or whatever - please start another thread.

Any further off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted. And might inspire me to go back and delete all of the other off-topic posts in the thread as well.

Sorry to be a hardass, but I'm just getting really fucking tired of practically EVERY thread on this board degenerating into LCBO-bashing. I've certainly done my fair share of it, but when it derails every other conversation, it just turns into useless noise.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

GregClow wrote:Folks, this thread is to discuss the LCBO Summer release, and the beers in it.

If you want to discuss anything else about the LCBO - slamming them, praising them, or whatever - please start another thread.

Any further off-topic posts in this thread will be deleted. And might inspire me to go back and delete all of the other off-topic posts in the thread as well.

Sorry to be a hardass, but I'm just getting really fucking tired of practically EVERY thread on this board degenerating into LCBO-bashing. I've certainly done my fair share of it, but when it derails every other conversation, it just turns into useless noise.

Fair enough Greg, but I assume questioning the conspicous absence of Hopfen Weisse in the GTA so far, is related to the Summer release thread. :D

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:I was asking at Cooper Street about Hopfen Weisse, and apparently this one is now being pulled from the release. Inquiring further, there is a problem in the system with the product having both "Brooklyner" and "Schneider" on the label and - get this - since these are TWO distinct companies both already doing business in Ontario, it is impossible to enter the product using the current software.

This is why most of the HW stiock was held back, and they still can't fix the software problem. All beer must be return-shipped overseas at Schneider's expense (plus various fees), or else destroyed here without compensation.

The St.Catherines store no longer shows up as having it. This explanation is starting to look more plausible each day. :oops:

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Lukie wrote:Fair enough Greg, but I assume questioning the conspicous absence of Hopfen Weisse in the GTA so far, is related to the Summer release thread. :D
Yes, discussing that specific beer is fine, as long as it doesn't spin off into more general LCBO complaining.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Lukie wrote:The St.Catherines store no longer shows up as having it. This explanation is starting to look more plausible each day. :oops:
I'd say that it's more likely that the store just sold out. If it really had been pulled, I expect that it would be flagged as "discontinued" on the LCBO website, or would have been removed completely - for now, it's still listed, just with no stock:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=164046

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

GregClow wrote:
Lukie wrote:The St.Catherines store no longer shows up as having it. This explanation is starting to look more plausible each day. :oops:
I'd say that it's more likely that the store just sold out. If it really had been pulled, I expect that it would be flagged as "discontinued" on the LCBO website, or would have been removed completely - for now, it's still listed, just with no stock:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=164046
This.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lots of this in every warehouse. From 1000-2500 bottles. Should be in stores this week.
According to you this was supposed to be in stores last week. What happened? IMO belgian's explanation doesn't sound like its made up.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote: this always happens, just wait it out

whats the warehouse have for this one Len?
Lots of this in every warehouse. From 1000-2500 bottles. Should be in stores this week.
According to you this was supposed to be in stores last week. What happened?
Dunno. Bottles in the warehouse that are current and not on bond take 3-5 days to reach stores when ordered. So they should be coming in. I'll phone the warehouse directly next time I am at work, but I'm not there today and while I care about good service, I don't care enough to do it on my own time :)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

So I just phoned in to our head office (on my day off, thanks!) and found out the product is still on bond and will be released shortly, so this is why it hasn't been released yet. There is absolutely no reason to worry that this will not make it to stores. All is well and it will be out soon. Ohh and the whole St Catherines thing is a mystery as the product shouldn't have been sent there, but apparently someone made a mistake in a warehouse and sent some out anyway.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

SteelbackGuy wrote:So I just phoned in to our head office (on my day off, thanks!) and found out the product is still on bond and will be released shortly, so this is why it hasn't been released yet. There is absolutely no reason to worry that this will not make it to stores. All is well and it will be out soon.
Thanks, but I'm still hanging on to the possibility of competing theories.
Alien abduction? :wink:
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Well I can say that I picked up two bottles while it was available at the St. Catharines LCBO and I must say I am going to have to sample it some more. Its a strange beast of a Wiesse since the hops are not the dominate flavour but rather they round out the wiesse.

I look forward to hearing your guy's opinions on this one.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Same thing happened with The Pumphouse Blueberry, 2 stores, 1 in Brampton and 1 in Ottawa had it almost 4 weeks before anybody else got it.

Some sort of disruption in the space-time continuum.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

dutchcanuck wrote:Its a strange beast of a Wiesse
What's a "Wiesse"? ;)

The one I had in a NYC hotel room was barely chilled and yet delicious that way, with multi-dimensional flavors trading off between good Weisse and good Pale Ale. When Hopfen Weisse shows up I will buy lots, especially if the 3.25 price is not a mistake.
In Beerum Veritas