Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nanny State strikes again

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Nanny State strikes again

Post by Bobbyok »

Skull shaped bottles apparently a no-no.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/foo ... le1573490/

In other news, it's okay for you to get drunk, so long as you're caffeinated.

http://www.news1130.com/radio/news1130/ ... or-do-they

Caveat on that last one - it's pretty dumb to ban it given regular Red Bull with vodka thrown in is a pretty easy replacement. But when you're banning the vodka because of the bottle shape and allowing the other, it's pretty damn inconsistent. And yes, I also know it's different levels of government, but I'm willing to bet the provincial liquor boards at the very least privately supported the Health Canada move.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Bobbyok wrote:Skull shaped bottles apparently a no-no.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/foo ... le1573490/

In other news, it's okay for you to get drunk, so long as you're caffeinated.

http://www.news1130.com/radio/news1130/ ... or-do-they

Caveat on that last one - it's pretty dumb to ban it given regular Red Bull with vodka thrown in is a pretty easy replacement. But when you're banning the vodka because of the bottle shape and allowing the other, it's pretty damn inconsistent. And yes, I also know it's different levels of government, but I'm willing to bet the provincial liquor boards at the very least privately supported the Health Canada move.
The thing I find odd about the whole crystal head vodka thing is that the reason for banning it from stores is that they don't want it to appeal to undeaged drinkers. But I thought one of the main reasons for having liquor sold at LCBO's is that only LCBOs highly trained expert employees can spot fake ID's and keep people under 19 from buying liquor. So if the employees are so good at keeping booze out of the hands of kids, then it shouldn't matter what the bottle looks like.

Not to mention they sell Cadbury Branded Caramilk liquor and coolers, which are named after a chocolate bar, which I think would be way more interesting to kids than a super expensive ultra-premium vodka.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

To the skull-shaped bottle:

"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Ridiculous!
Better grab up remaining bottles of Rogue Dead Guy before some under-aged drinkers try to steal them!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

""This is a decision that’s been made reflecting the appeal of the product, because the board is rightly concerned that under-aged drinkers may go to illegitimate means to obtain a bottle of Crystal Head, maybe steal it or whatever.”
Yeah, because teenagers really go to great lengths for the collectible glassware.

Where's the baseball bat? Somebody needs a whuppin'.

"Maybe steal it or whatever." Give me a break or whatever.. I'd hate to think teenagers switching vodka brands, or whatever. Might cut into LCBO's cozy deals with Absolut, or whatever.
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

...and yet all those artificially bright coloured, sugary sweet, fizzy soda-pop like coolers that come in the 'cute' little plastic bottles that can easily be sneaked around and are flavoured like bubble-gums are ok? No, there isn't anything in that aisle that appeals to under-age drinkers. :roll:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

biegaman wrote:...and yet all those artificially bright coloured, sugary sweet, fizzy soda-pop like coolers that come in the 'cute' little plastic bottles that can easily be sneaked around and are flavoured like bubble-gums are ok? No, there isn't anything in that aisle that appeals to under-age drinkers. :roll:
An excellent point...

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

You know I used to find stuff like this enraging. Now I find it hilarious. Can't wait to pick up a bottle of it out west.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Oh for f**k sakes. Just go ask the SAQ how many kids have been in trying to buy it in the past 10 years it's been available there. Rounding up it's probably still zero.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Spoke to a woman at AGCO who claims the product hasn't actually been blacklisted, and is still available through private order processes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote:
Oh for f**k sakes. Just go ask the SAQ how many kids have been in trying to buy it in the past 10 years it's been available there. Rounding up it's probably still zero.
Yeah GMAFB its clearly an adult beverage, why else are there clear ABV labels on all products sold here.

The LCBO rep is full of it because when (similarly) one person complained about Delirium Tremens the LC just caved & took it all off the sheves.

Now if we can only get terrible beers banned in a similar fashion. Floris Ninkeberry, now THAT looks like an appealing children's drink.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote: The LCBO rep is full of it because when (similarly) one person complained about Delirium Tremens the LC just caved & took it all off the sheves.
Who was the agent for Delirium Tremens?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Bytowner wrote: Who was the agent for Delirium Tremens?
It was Rubaiyat. Not sure if it is still them now.

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1408

It's amazing to look back and see almost exactly the same issues and sentiment from everyone through the years. Really not much has changed.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:
Bytowner wrote: Who was the agent for Delirium Tremens?
It was Rubaiyat. Not sure if it is still them now.

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1408

It's amazing to look back and see almost exactly the same issues and sentiment from everyone through the years. Really not much has changed.
which is why the breweries in ontario should take advantage of the holes in the market not filled by the lcbo