Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask

Post by Ukie »

INNIS & GUNN CANADIAN CASK, LCBO Item # 130534, $ 4.95 .

Special box to celebrate Canda Day. Only available in Hamilton, never seen that before.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

this was available last year and was quite good!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Definitely worth a try, or two.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I should mention that this is probably my favourite of the Innis and Gun beers.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

was great last year, definitely worth a try.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

This one has some nice complexity (it could use a bit more though), with pleasant raisin notes. Worth the steep price, once in a while.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I pulled out one of these that I have been keeping since last year (in a cool, dry box) and it had about a centimeter of fluffy grey crud growing on the bottom. The taste wasn't offensively off, but it definitely had a sour note to it. I've had similar problems with the Rum Cask. Interestingly, I've seen the same stuff in bottles of the regular version even when sitting on the shelves of walk-in coolers.

Any one else having similar problems? I'm at the point where I think that the real best before date is really only about half of what's listed on the bottles or boxes.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I didn't have any issues with mine. I had one from last year sitting in my cellar and decided to have last years and this years side by side. Last years was the winner far and away.

I noticed the 2009 was aged for 71 days and the 2010 was aged for 54 days in casks. I would imagine this is the main difference in the taste. 2009 has so much more aroma and the rye taste comes through so much more.

Hopefully this was because I&G was under the "Gunn" to get this to shelves why they aged it shorter and not something they will continue to do.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

One thing is certain: The Canadian Cask edition tastes much better than their original, which is just overwhelmed with a tofee taste.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

boney wrote:I pulled out one of these that I have been keeping since last year (in a cool, dry box) and it had about a centimeter of fluffy grey crud growing on the bottom. The taste wasn't offensively off, but it definitely had a sour note to it. I've had similar problems with the Rum Cask. Interestingly, I've seen the same stuff in bottles of the regular version even when sitting on the shelves of walk-in coolers.

Any one else having similar problems? I'm at the point where I think that the real best before date is really only about half of what's listed on the bottles or boxes.
I'll have to check on mine. I still have one of last year's. Agree with Len and Lukie that this is my favourite of the bunch, though I don't think any of them are all that great. After a couple re-tries I still think the original just isn't all that good.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Bobbyok wrote:
boney wrote:I pulled out one of these that I have been keeping since last year (in a cool, dry box) and it had about a centimeter of fluffy grey crud growing on the bottom. The taste wasn't offensively off, but it definitely had a sour note to it. I've had similar problems with the Rum Cask. Interestingly, I've seen the same stuff in bottles of the regular version even when sitting on the shelves of walk-in coolers.

I'll have to check on mine. I still have one of last year's. Agree with Len and Lukie that this is my favourite of the bunch, though I don't think any of them are all that great. After a couple re-tries I still think the original just isn't all that good.
Agreed on all counts. I haven't tried the Blonde one yet though, but I suspect its probably similar to the original with more vanilla and less toffee (which is not a bad thing in this case). BTW how is the situation with beer in Halifax? Do you have independantly owned stores or do you have to rely on a single entity like the LCBO?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Lukie wrote: BTW how is the situation with beer in Halifax? Do you have independantly owned stores or do you have to rely on a single entity like the LCBO?
We have 4 independent private stores. They were an experiment launched 7 or 8 years ago. The original intention was that they'd be specialty shops focussed primarily on wine and that the 4 licenses would be in different areas of the province. While they all do cater a bit more high end than NSLCs, all 4 ended up in the Halifax area. They all started in different parts of the city, but 2 have changed locations, leaving 2 downtown and 2 in Bedford, one of the wealthier surrounding communities. Only two have a beer selection worth talking about, one of which (Premier Wine and Spirits) has gone out of their way to bring in some really good things. Among the stuff they carry: Dieu du Ciel, Rochefort, Lagunitas, North Coast, Central City, Brewdog. Here and there the stores have picked up some unique things the NSLC would never touch - like St. Ambroise Imperial Stout. Aside from the individual stores bringing in good stuff though, in my mind anyway, the NSLC has had to up their game in response. They're now willing to carry local seasonals, for example, which they never did before.

Related to that example, the biggest impact has been the ability of our micros to experiment and see what beers will sell on a smaller scale without having to supply the NSLC beyond their capacity. Propeller launched its IPA as a seasonal and was able to easily get it on shelves at private stores. It sold so well they made it a regular. NSLC now carries it across the province. Same with Garrison's Imperial Pale Ale. And they both now have other "true" seasonals, some of which are exclusive to the private stores and some which make it to wider release at the NSLC. Point being, without the private stores to get them started, many of these beers never would have been made.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Bobbyok wrote:
Lukie wrote: BTW how is the situation with beer in Halifax? Do you have independantly owned stores or do you have to rely on a single entity like the LCBO?
We have 4 independent private stores. They were an experiment launched 7 or 8 years ago. The original intention was that they'd be specialty shops focussed primarily on wine and that the 4 licenses would be in different areas of the province. While they all do cater a bit more high end than NSLCs, all 4 ended up in the Halifax area. They all started in different parts of the city, but 2 have changed locations, leaving 2 downtown and 2 in Bedford, one of the wealthier surrounding communities. Only two have a beer selection worth talking about, one of which (Premier Wine and Spirits) has gone out of their way to bring in some really good things. Among the stuff they carry: Dieu du Ciel, Rochefort, Lagunitas, North Coast, Central City, Brewdog. Here and there the stores have picked up some unique things the NSLC would never touch - like St. Ambroise Imperial Stout. Aside from the individual stores bringing in good stuff though, in my mind anyway, the NSLC has had to up their game in response. They're now willing to carry local seasonals, for example, which they never did before.

Related to that example, the biggest impact has been the ability of our micros to experiment and see what beers will sell on a smaller scale without having to supply the NSLC beyond their capacity. Propeller launched its IPA as a seasonal and was able to easily get it on shelves at private stores. It sold so well they made it a regular. NSLC now carries it across the province. Same with Garrison's Imperial Pale Ale. And they both now have other "true" seasonals, some of which are exclusive to the private stores and some which make it to wider release at the NSLC. Point being, without the private stores to get them started, many of these beers never would have been made.

A mix of public and private liquer stores is exactly what should happen here in Ontario. It would challenge the lcbo to carry better products more consistently. I don't give a damn about their spiffy looking stores, all I care about is the selection that they have. About a year ago there was some general talk that Ontario would start to sell minority shares of its crown assets and partner up with private companies. Let's hope this happens to the LCBO.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Ya, my local "upgraded" their store, and one of the "improvments" was to dump the excellent beer selection they had, and fill the coolers with Coors and Bud and nasty Euro lagers. A four foot section is all that remains to hold OCB and other imports. I've complained three times to them already, but they've made it clear to me they don't care. Oh well, I guess I just shop even more at Grand River which, in the end, is a good thing.