Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO to close 7 locations during G20

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

LCBO to close 7 locations during G20

Post by lister »

*sigh* :x

http://thestar.blogs.com/g20/2010/06/lc ... g-g20.html

Better start stocking up now. The LCBO will close seven downtown stores during the G20 summit.

“This action is being taken to minimize risks to customers and staff and reduce traffic congestion in the downtown core,” the LCBO says in a notice on its website.

The stores that will closed Friday through Sunday include:

* Queens Quay, 2 Cooper Street

* First Canadian Place

* Union Station

* St. Lawrence Market, 87 Front Street West

* Loblaws Plaza, 10 Lower Jarvis Street at Queens Quay

* 415 King Street West at Spadina Avenue

* 337 Spadina Avenue, north of Dundas at Baldwin Street

Employees of the seven shuttered stores will be relocated to other LCBO locations, which will remain open during the summit.

For those Queen’s Quay residents thinking they can dodge the temporary prohibition by going to Vineyards Estate Wines across from the Harbourfront Centre, you’d better buy your vino as you head home from work Friday.

The store is will be closed Saturday and Sunday for safety reasons, said employee Daniel Chan.

“The last thing you want to do is have customers in the store if something happens. It’s purely it for safety reasons,” he said.
lister

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Was just about to post this... this isn't ideal for living near Yonge/Front!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I guess I can understand why they'd close some stores in and near the security zone, but 337 Spadina? That's practically a 25 minute walk to the nearest fence!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Bobsy wrote:I guess I can understand why they'd close some stores in and near the security zone, but 337 Spadina? That's practically a 25 minute walk to the nearest fence!
As much as I want to blame the Control Board for this, it really is Harper's fault, not theirs. My office is closed down on the 24th and 25th because of this, so LCBO shouldn't be held to a higher standard.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobsy wrote:I guess I can understand why they'd close some stores in and near the security zone, but 337 Spadina? That's practically a 25 minute walk to the nearest fence!
I was reading through the list, got to the King & Spadina location, thought "That's irritating but okay, well, the Dundas one should be.... Oh." That one really annoyed me. Maybe the staff didn't want to deal with the crush of people going there if they were open.
lister

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

lister wrote:
I was reading through the list, got to the King & Spadina location, thought "That's irritating but okay, well, the Dundas one should be.... Oh." That one really annoyed me. Maybe the staff didn't want to deal with the crush of people going there if they were open.
It may be the closest location to the protest zone at Queen's Park?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

kwjd wrote:It may be the closest location to the protest zone at Queen's Park?
The Yonge & Wellesley LCBO is closer.

You really think the troublemakers will bother with the official protest area?
lister

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:
As much as I want to blame the Control Board for this, it really is Harper's fault, not theirs. My office is closed down on the 24th and 25th because of this, so LCBO shouldn't be held to a higher standard.

Harper is to blame for many things, friend...........after all..........he's a conservative!!!!! :P :P :P
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

lister wrote:
kwjd wrote:It may be the closest location to the protest zone at Queen's Park?
The Yonge & Wellesley LCBO is closer.

You really think the troublemakers will bother with the official protest area?
I suspect they'd be worried about folks who initially head to the official protest zone then get pissed off and start attacking anything nearby. And liquor stores tend to be a hotspot for looting.

Of course, in reality all the security efforts only piss off and fuel the protesters anger more than it would have been otherwise. Cutting down trees for fear the branches could be used as weapons? That's the same kind of paranoia that creates the Black Bloc. Then again the folks in charge of security want there to be more protests so they can gain more control. And I've gone way off-topic.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Molotov cocktail anyone?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Derek wrote:Molotov cocktail anyone?
I recommend Grand River bottles. The heaviest in market so the biggest bang for your buck...so to speak

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobbyok wrote: Cutting down trees for fear the branches could be used as weapons?
I know that's what has been widely quoted, but I suspect that the real concern is that some of the smaller saplings are attached to a metal pole to keep them upright.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

"People First", a G20 Protest event that is expected to be the largest of them all, will include a march on Saturday that runs from Queen's Park south on University, west on Queen Street, north on Spadina, and east on College Street back to Queen's Park.

I expect you will see a LOT of businesses along that route closing for the day on Saturday. The Canadian Labour Congress is intending it to be a peaceful rally and march, but there is already at least one militant protest group that has called for people on the march to stir up shit.

I'm really freakin' glad that I live in Parkdale within walking distance of Sunnyside, where I'll be enjoying good beer and food at the Session festival while the downtown core becomes a disaster zone...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

On the plus side, they found a way to spend, what, 900 million dollars for this? I wonder how much of this was opportunism & people just making up useless work for their contract cronies.

It's great we have that kind of money to throw away. Hopefully our guests will not be expecting TOO impressive a city with, say a transit system that really works.
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Furthermore, LCBO's Specialty Services (Private Ordering) facility on Freeland St. will be closed on Friday, June 25.

They will be be an extension of the hours of operation on Monday, June 21 and Tuesday, June 22 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell