Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Saranac Pale Ale

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Saranac Pale Ale

Post by Gedge »

Suprised to see this on the shelves today. Picked up a six-pack, $12.95.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

LCBO or TBS?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

notdan

Post by notdan »

Weird. There's hardly any in the system at the moment according to the LCBO website.

My folks brought me a Saranac mixed 12 last year and I recall the pale being a pretty decent, sessionable beer.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

What the heck? Can anyone confirm that this isn't a bad joke by the LCBO and we will actually see distribution of Saranac products?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

interesting......at least the price is right.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Surprising, but not unbelievable, given that there are already a few F.X. Matt brewed beers at the LCBO, like the Headstrong and Yankee Jim stuff.

I didn't care much for the Pale when I tried it a few years ago, but I'll probably give it another shot.

Lager Bore

Post by Lager Bore »

Gedge wrote:Suprised to see this on the shelves today. Picked up a six-pack, $12.95.
I'll be right over for analysis.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

I am a fan of saranacs beers. I have bought both of their mix packs, and a few 12's of the pale. Great beer for a low price.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I've tried other Saranac beers (though I can't recall which). I think this one (the pale ale) is as advertised on the box - a slightly fruity, moderately bitter English IPA. Nothing earth-shaking, but a good beer for the tail end of the warm weather.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

GregClow wrote:Surprising, but not unbelievable, given that there are already a few F.X. Matt brewed beers at the LCBO, like the Headstrong and Yankee Jim stuff.
Don't forget Brooklyn.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I had one tonight. Meh. Certainly the LCBO have brought in a lot worse than this, but this is one I could have easily lived without. It's really just a thin bodied English Pale Ale.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TJ wrote:I had one tonight. Meh. Certainly the LCBO have brought in a lot worse than this, but this is one I could have easily lived without. It's really just a thin bodied English Pale Ale.
I guess it hasn't changed much from when I tried it in 2006, then:

"Clear orange amber colour. Quite decent aroma of fresh, resiny hops, with none of the stale notes I got from most of the other Saranac beers in the mixed pack. I thought this boded well for the flavour, but alas, it turned out to be thin and lifeless, with a very mild, simple flavour profile. Well-balanced, I suppose, but it’s hard not to be when the flavours are so subdued. Sigh."

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

GregClow wrote:
TJ wrote:I had one tonight. Meh. Certainly the LCBO have brought in a lot worse than this, but this is one I could have easily lived without. It's really just a thin bodied English Pale Ale.
I guess it hasn't changed much from when I tried it in 2006
Right. I had my first of these around 2004-5 and more recently a few months back and it has always tasted the same. It's like a "bridge" beer for those moving up from macros but not one that would impress most posters here. Still, a decent enough session ale. Unfortunately of the half dozen or so Saranacs I've tasted the Pale Ale is their best, with their Black & Tan not bad either. Their pale lager and Adirondack Amber were not impressive.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I was mildly excited to see a USA micro, but it's far from Saranac's best, and most of their portfolio rates under a 3.0 / 5.

The real shame is this middling beer is crowding out another potentially much bette rbeer like Nugget Nectar or equivalent.
In Beerum Veritas

carguy

Post by carguy »

A shame, but hardly a surprise. The LCBO specializes in middling beers.