Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tree coming to LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris Stirling

Post by Chris Stirling »

Hophead Double IPA is now in LCBO stores

supplies are limited so get it while you can.

Here is the list of stores with inventory (remember it was just released on Feb 27 so the store list will grow this week)

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=209346

enjoy and thank you for the support!

Cheers
Tree Brewing
Brewed in Kelowna, BC
http://www.treebeer.com

follow us on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/treebrewing

or on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/tree.brewing

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chris Stirling wrote: We did take a bit of a hit to ensure the LCBO would approve our application but the taxes in Ontario are different than in BC which allows better prices and the LCBO orders in volume which helps us too - its a win/win situation
The underbelley of the dark evil beast has a silver lining, sometimes.

Yeah it's competititve with our local bombers / 750mls for value. Will support this & future Tree releases Chris. The hops are a treat.
In Beerum Veritas

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Wow, 26 bottles in the whole province.

My chances of getting Utopia are probably better. ;)
Anyway.. welcome to Ontario.. keep 'em coming!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

The price you guys are paying is a STEAL. It's $8 here which, sadly, prices it above many quality U.S. IIPA's available here in Vancouver. Can't help but wonder why a local B.C. product is so prohibitively priced? I understand there are taxes but the U.S. products are also paying duty and import levies.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Jon Walker wrote:The price you guys are paying is a STEAL. It's $8 here which, sadly, prices it above many quality U.S. IIPA's available here in Vancouver. Can't help but wonder why a local B.C. product is so prohibitively priced? I understand there are taxes but the U.S. products are also paying duty and import levies.
Chris from Tree has addressed this topic in another thread. LCBO provides volume, which allows prices to be lower. Also, Ontario apparenlty has lower taxes than BC does. Not sure about Alberta or any other province...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Chris from Tree has addressed this topic in another thread. LCBO provides volume, which allows prices to be lower. Also, Ontario apparenlty has lower taxes than BC does. Not sure about Alberta or any other province...
I wasn't wondering why it's cheap in Ontario, I already know why. I'm wondering why it is priced above other B.C. made IIPA's in B.C. liquor stores. You can get Phillips Amnesiac here for about $6 versus $8 for the double Hophead. You can also get beers like Green Flash IIPA, Lagunitas Maximus and Southern Tier Unearthly for the same $8 and yet they are subject to not just provincial taxes but import duties, levies and international shipping from far greater distances.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Amnesiac is actually a steal at the government stores... only $4.82:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-c ... 3Damnesiac

I was buying it fairly regularly when I first moved out, but I think the Tree packs more flavour.

I agree that Green Flash & Unearthly are both awesome... especially when fresh. I wasn't overly impressed with the Maximus, but perhaps that was due to freshness.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Jon Walker wrote:Southern Tier Unearthly for the same $8
I'd be willing to pay $2 more for Tree if this stuff was the other option.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Wow, managed to pick up the only two cases at my local LCBO!! They were still out back! And, since the entire province is apparently only getting 480 cases, I might not see any more around my area.

This is a happy, hoppy, day!!
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Derek wrote:The Amnesiac is actually a steal at the government stores... only $4.82:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product-c ... 3Damnesiac

I was buying it fairly regularly when I first moved out, but I think the Tree packs more flavour.

I agree that Green Flash & Unearthly are both awesome... especially when fresh. I wasn't overly impressed with the Maximus, but perhaps that was due to freshness.
RayOhm wrote: I'd be willing to pay $2 more for Tree if this stuff was the other option.
Sadly I think you both might have missed my point. Oh well.

TJ

Post by TJ »

There's some at the Manulife LCBO. My girlfriend picked some up for me and said there were a few boxes of Hophead there.

Bullzie

Post by Bullzie »

BooBoo wrote:Wow, managed to pick up the only two cases at my local LCBO!! They were still out back! And, since the entire province is apparently only getting 480 cases, I might not see any more around my area.

Don't you think it is a little bit of an a-hole move to go and buy out the local LCBO stock on such a limited release and then brag about it? I know some people in Belleville (for those who didn't notice, BooBoo's location) who would have loved to get their hands on some.

Just a thought.

Bullzie

heebes

Post by heebes »

yeah a little. looks like the entire release is out now. thats probably all of it. better try and get to one of those locations i guess.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Bullzie wrote:
BooBoo wrote:Wow, managed to pick up the only two cases at my local LCBO!! They were still out back! And, since the entire province is apparently only getting 480 cases, I might not see any more around my area.

Don't you think it is a little bit of an a-hole move to go and buy out the local LCBO stock on such a limited release and then brag about it? I know some people in Belleville (for those who didn't notice, BooBoo's location) who would have loved to get their hands on some.

Just a thought.

Bullzie
Good thing we have a trade forum.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Wow, I was really hoping for more stock than this. I guess I'll have to race Cale out to Ancaster and Stoney Creek today :).