Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tree coming to LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Torontoblue wrote:Well, the Double Hophead is priced at $7.99 in Alberta, so you could maybe use that as a guide?
I am pretty sure I paid about $10 for a bomber, but that was the 2009 release, and I don't think much of it was even available in AB.

Regardless, good to hear the prices are improving, hope the beer itself is too. I wasn't fond of the 2009, and the 2010 bottle I tried was infected. I'm glad to see a Canadian brewery producing large volumes of a hoppy beer!

I don't mind the regular Hophead, it is even available on tap in Regina, but it always tastes like they use too coarse of a filter which ends up muting/dulling the hop character. I notice the same in bottled Wild Rose IPA, which I know is heavily filtered. Breweries, don't fear the haze!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

markaberrant wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:On some of the specialty flavors I understand DDC pricing, but they could have Corne du Diable flying off the shelf with a better price.

I think the last time I bought it in Montreal I paid around $14 for a six. It's currently $19.50 at the LCBO. That's a heck of a markup.
Corne du Diable also goes for $19-20/6-pack in AB and SK.
Most DDC beers range from $19.to $21 a sixer in AB.

I guess people don't realise how expensive it is to ship cargo around Canada. Shipping from Ontario to Alberta & BC is way more expensive than shipping goods from mainland Europe and South America. It may be a short distance but I'm betting that DDC to Toronto isn't as cheap as you think it is. Hence the difference in price between Quebec, Ontario & AB/BC/SK

Chris Stirling

Post by Chris Stirling »

Good News - today we are bottling Hophead Double IPA - shipment to go to the LCBO warehouse next week!
Tree Brewing
Brewed in Kelowna, BC
http://www.treebeer.com

follow us on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/treebrewing

or on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/tree.brewing

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Awesome!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

TREE BREWING MAKES ITS FORAY INTO ONTARIO WITH

HOP HEAD DOUBLE IPA

- Kelowna–based Craft Brewer Selected as part of LCBO’s Spring Beer Promotion -

February 22, 2011 (Kelowna, BC) – Craft Brewers in British Columbia are quickly becoming recognized as some of the best in the world, and Tree Brewing is no exception. The award-winning Kelowna-based brewer has crafted some of the top beers in the country for 15 years, and is now heading to Ontario to give beer lovers in that province a taste of what they’ve been missing.

“We’re thrilled to enter the Ontario market and to showcase the exceptional quality brews that we’ve become known for in this province,” says Tree Brewing President, Tod Melnyk. “Our Hop Head Double IPA is a perfect example of why our Brewmaster Stefan Buhl and his team have won numerous awards, and it’s a great introduction for Tree into this region.”

As part of the LCBO’s Spring Beer promotion, Tree will be introducing its Hop Head Double IPA beginning February 27th in limited release at LCBO stores across the province. This is the third year that the Kelowna-based brewer has created the popular “occasional rarity,” which has received great reviews and accolades, including a Gold Medal at the Canadian Brewing Awards, since its initial launch in 2009, and the first time it is making its way to Ontario.

“Stefan and his team continue to fine tune the recipe for Hop Head Double IPA, and we think this year’s brew is exceptional,” says Tree Brewing President, Tod Melnyk. “They have created a great balance of alcohol, hops and malt to bring out the incredible flavour, and we’re certain it will once again be well received by beer connaisseurs.”

With five different varieties of superior hops, Hop Head Double IPA (8.3 ABV) packs in the hoppy bitterness like no other. Similar to its award-winning, best-selling little brother, Hop Head IPA, Hop Head Double IPA also boasts citrus aromas and sweet malt undertones with a slightly darker, copper colour. This strong hops taste pairs well with a flavourful meal or sweet dessert.

Hop Head Double IPA is a limited release, and will be arriving in Ontario at the end of this month. The arrival of the brew will also mark the debut of Tree’s new painted bottles to the market, designed to reflect the quality and uniqueness of the Gold Medal Double IPA, as well as the company’s roots.

About Tree Brewing Company

A company focused on quality, excellence and creating great tasting beer, Tree Brewing Company has been taking craft brewing seriously for 15 years. Located in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, Tree brews in small batches using only water, malt, hops and yeast to produce the highest quality, all natural, unpasteurized beer. The Tree family of Craft beers include Hop Head India Pale Ale, Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale, Cutthroat English Pale Ale, Kelowna Pilsner and Spy Porter. Special releases also make brief appearances depending on the inspirations of Brewmaster Stefan Buhl. For more information please visit www.treebeer.com.

- 30 -

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

its listed on the LCBO website, but no stock is listed yet

Chris Stirling

Post by Chris Stirling »

thanks for posting that Cass!

We are super excited to be selling our Hophead DIPA in Ontario for the first time. Product will hit the shelves next week.

Also our brewmaster Stefan Buhl and I will be in Toronto on April 1 at Queens Quay and April 2 at Summerhill LCBO stores - we would love to chat with anyone about Hophead DIPA and Tree Brewing's other brands and just beer in general.

cheers!
Tree Brewing
Brewed in Kelowna, BC

follow us on Twitter

or on Facebook

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My that is a reasonably-priced import bomber - $5.35 per 650ml bottle and an amenable ** 8.0 % ABV. Priced to move!

I shall hop to it gents...
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote:My that is a reasonably-priced import bomber - $5.35 per 650ml bottle and an amenable 7.1% ABV. Priced to move!

I shall hop to it gents...
I checked with brewery and that 7.1% is a print mistake... so yeah, hell of a deal!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

And that price is a steal...even here in B.C. the cost is closer to $6.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It's in at Queen's Quay.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Jon Walker wrote:And that price is a steal...even here in B.C. the cost is closer to $6.
Actually it's $7.95 plus deposit!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Wow, you're right! That's the one thing about the LCBO that people can't complain about...they sell some very good stuff cheap.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Derek wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:And that price is a steal...even here in B.C. the cost is closer to $6.
Actually it's $7.95 plus deposit!
I would bet that it is Tree that is taking the majority of the hit on the good price, not the LCBO.

Chris Stirling

Post by Chris Stirling »

I would bet that it is Tree that is taking the majority of the hit on the good price, not the LCBO.
We did take a bit of a hit to ensure the LCBO would approve our application but the taxes in Ontario are different than in BC which allows better prices and the LCBO orders in volume which helps us too - its a win/win situation
Tree Brewing
Brewed in Kelowna, BC

follow us on Twitter

or on Facebook