Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New LCBO at Rutherford (Carville/16th) and Bathurst

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

New LCBO at Rutherford (Carville/16th) and Bathurst

Post by icemachine »

Don't bother - its Ontario craft beer selection is 1 shelf stocked with Mill St (mostly Organic), Waterloo Dark and Steamwhistle. I talked to a guy I recognised who transferred from Yonge & 7 and he said without enough customer demand there would be no changes, and that the store was stocked based on neighboring store sales and surveys mailed out to local residents. Guess I'll continue driving over to the Woodbine & 7 store to get anything interesting.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Was going to post a similar review. Pathetic selection and the manager is another of these LCBO types who knows SFA about beer and couldn't care less. Essentially the Newmarket LCBO minus Beau's.

The tiny LCBO outside Promenade (No great shakes either) at least has some Dead Guy kicking around. Thank goodness for Woodbine/7 or the entire area north of Steeles would be a wasteland.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

The LCBO on the ring road outside Square One is likewise a beer wasteland.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I must admit this store probably has the best selection of Kosher Wines in Ontario
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote:I must admit this store probably has the best selection of Kosher Wines in Ontario

Ha! Those things are absolutely putrid. I'd denounce any religion that made me drink that piss. :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
icemachine wrote:I must admit this store probably has the best selection of Kosher Wines in Ontario

Ha! Those things are absolutely putrid. I'd denounce any religion that made me drink that piss. :D :D
There's supposed to be good varietal kosher wines from Israel, stuff that isn't mevushal (hasn't been boiled).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

There's supposed to be good varietal kosher wines from Israel, stuff that isn't mevushal (hasn't been boiled).
The Israeli wines are well made, alarmingly expensive, and rarely anything at all special for the cost. But if you have a taste for good wine over the High Holidays I guess there are some affordable Kosher ones from France (the Fortant Chard and Merlot) and especially places like Argentina and Chile (Merlot, Malbec, Cab Sauv, Carmeniere.)

Just avoid anything that says Concord Grape among the 101 hits for 'kosher' on lcbo.com Concord is North American and not vinis vinifera, unlike nearly all other wine grape varietals.
Welch's grape juice is I believe all Concord, just as it should be.
In Beerum Veritas