Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Dogfish Head

Post by heebes »

DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA
LCBO 80143 | 6x355 mL bottle
PRODUCT DISCONTINUED*

very dissapointed this is being cut....better be bringing in another kind!
anyone else bummed, think it could just be backordered or is it really gone?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wonder if it's to make way for the blander Saranac Pale, the LC seem to push one craft beer off the shelf every time they add one.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

heebes wrote:DOGFISH HEAD 60 MINUTE IPA
LCBO 80143 | 6x355 mL bottle
PRODUCT DISCONTINUED*

very dissapointed this is being cut....better be bringing in another kind!
anyone else bummed, think it could just be backordered or is it really gone?

That sucks so bad, but the reality is that in my experiences, and they have been many, this was simply a dog product. And with the strong sales in southern tier ipa and likely more US micro stuff coming very soon, it was only a matter of time.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

heebes

Post by heebes »

yeah, im just bummed cause i was anticipating ordering another case real soon.
:lol:

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

wow that really sucks, my go to lcbo seems to sell this more than any other american craft beer they stock.

guess i'll load up before they run out.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

That's a shame......I guess that means the 90 Min IPA is out. If they would up the beer offerings from decent Canadian Brewers then it wouldn't be an issue when an american beer is discontinued.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I kinda had the feeling that was the case. Haven't seen any at the few LCBO's I go to in months. I was always disappointed that we never saw anything else from DFH. I'm certain a blander offering will take it's place.

Here's hoping we at least keep seeing Southern Tier IPA.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

more shelf space and beer $$ to Smash Bomb.....

when it hits lcbo shelves

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

this sucks, I was in looking for some on Saturday.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

sprague11 wrote:I kinda had the feeling that was the case. Haven't seen any at the few LCBO's I go to in months. I was always disappointed that we never saw anything else from DFH. I'm certain a blander offering will take it's place.
I'd very much doubt DFH would go through the trouble of sending another one of their offerings if their steady, well selling beer can't break the Ontario market.

Guess Ontario still isn't ready for a steady offering of good US craft brews?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I kinda had the feeling that was the case. Haven't seen any at the few LCBO's I go to in months. I was always disappointed that we never saw anything else from DFH. I'm certain a blander offering will take it's place.
I'd very much doubt DFH would go through the trouble of sending another one of their offerings if their steady, well selling beer can't break the Ontario market.

Guess Ontario still isn't ready for a steady offering of good US craft brews?
we shouldnt have to import IPA's, they should be made local and bought fresh.

also im sure the $14+ 6ers scared away the newbs

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Baby Steps.... Baby Steps...

Bring in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Ease those tastebuds in... that 60min IPA prolly scared off the newbs with its bitterness rather then its cost.

Every US micro lost is painful, especially one from Dogfish.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

iguenard wrote:Baby Steps.... Baby Steps...

Bring in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Ease those tastebuds in... that 60min IPA prolly scared off the newbs with its bitterness rather then its cost.

Every US micro lost is painful, especially one from Dogfish.
SNPA won't come in because it has to be shipped refrigerated and stored the same; the LCBO won't do this.

Plus, I'd actually say that SNPA is a lot more bitter than DFH60.

The point is, the US breweries are kinda being proven right here and why they have 'refused' to do business.

A top selling beer across the border and other Provinces can't make it in Ontario and is now being delisted. And the price point isn't that high! So, why should they bother?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

This seemed to always sell quickly at the LCBO closest to me, but they decided to stop carrying it for some reason. I would frequently go in and it would be out, then next time I'm in there are several more 6 packs on the shelf. However, once it wasn't there, I stopped buying it instead of walking further to the Queen's Quay location.

I'm not sure if other LCBO locations had these issues, but it seems like a beer is destined to fail if you get certain people enjoying it then take it away and expect them to go to a further LCBO to keep buying it. I don't buy that people need to ease themselves into the delciousness of hops... I didn't and many others didn't either.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

part of me thinks the problem could also have been on the supply side.

my local store stocked 60min and ST IPA, they first dropped the ST IPA because 60min sold better but then dropped the 60min because it never came in on there orders. hopefully they bring the ST IPA back.

hoptical does well there so getting other FM products listed shouldnt be a problem once they are availible.