Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beer Transfer Rules

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

LCBO Beer Transfer Rules

Post by Lukie »

Just wanted to clarify something: If I request a beer transfer and the minimum number of bottles is 24 (or 12 for the big ones), am I obligated to purchase the entire order once it comes in or can I purchase some and leave the remaining bottles for them to sell in the store?

heebes

Post by heebes »

the time i ordered a case i bought the entire 24, but recently a case of Dead Guy was in my local LCBO and apparantly the guy who ordered it in only took a sixer. I think i bought the rest over the next few weeks.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lukie wrote:Just wanted to clarify something: If I request a beer transfer and the minimum number of bottles is 24 (or 12 for the big ones), am I obligated to purchase the entire order once it comes in or can I purchase some and leave the remaining bottles for them to sell in the store?
i dont know "the rule" but my suggestion is to order what they tell you the minimum is and then return what you dont want.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

matt7215 wrote:
Lukie wrote:Just wanted to clarify something: If I request a beer transfer and the minimum number of bottles is 24 (or 12 for the big ones), am I obligated to purchase the entire order once it comes in or can I purchase some and leave the remaining bottles for them to sell in the store?
i dont know "the rule" but my suggestion is to order what they tell you the minimum is and then return what you dont want.
What do you mean by returning it? Buy it and then return it?

Anyway, I'm faced with this dilemma because the store says I have to buy the entire minimum order (4x6), since they no longer list this beer in their store (like duh, if it was listed and on the shelf I wouldn't have to order it). This is a very small, neglected LCBO in the bunnies, and I get the crooked eye whenever I want to order anything, since no one else does this.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lukie wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
What do you mean by returning it? Buy it and then return it?

Anyway, I'm faced with this dilemma because the store says I have to buy the entire minimum order (4x6), since they no longer list this beer in their store (like duh, if it was listed and on the shelf I wouldn't have to order it). This is a very small, neglected LCBO in the bunnies, and I get the crooked eye whenever I want to order anything, since no one else does this.
order it in, try to buy only the amount you want, if they make you buy all of it just return what you dont want to a different store. pay cash, keep your reciept, return.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lukie wrote:Anyway, I'm faced with this dilemma because the store says I have to buy the entire minimum order (4x6), since they no longer list this beer in their store (like duh, if it was listed and on the shelf I wouldn't have to order it). This is a very small, neglected LCBO in the bunnies, and I get the crooked eye whenever I want to order anything, since no one else does this.
Many stores have encouraged me to order a full case and then return what I don't want. It is LCBO policy, they can't force vast amounts of alcohol upon you just because the system serves your area poorly.

Any LC store can sell the left-over so they have no excuse. Besides - if your store is lousy somebody WILL buy the rest, right? No harm no foul. However - if these people are pricks & hold it against you then Matt's sage advice could be the smartest.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

If you can't take the 12 or 24, why are you getting it brought in? To sample it?
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

There are no LCBO transfer rules.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:There are no LCBO transfer rules.
help the man get his beer!

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

than on what grounds is this obese manager requiring me to buy the full case at once?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lukie wrote:
than on what grounds is this obese manager requiring me to buy the full case at once?
dude all the advice is right in front of you, just privatemessage len and he will get a case to your store.

work the system my beer geek friend.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
I'm not sure what the manager's weight has to do with it, but if you think it is important to your position, then so be it.

Transfers are simple, and there are no set of rules that are carved in stone. Basically, they just have to make sense.

So, for example, if a guy who lives in Windsor wants a case of a beer transferred in, and the only store that has any is a store in North Bay, it usually won't happen. Reason being that the case of beer might be worth $50.00, but the shipping will also likely be almost as much.
And actually, it could still happen as all transfers are discretionary. They just have to make sense.
So if a guy in Windsor wants a case of beer, and the only store that has any is a store in nearby Wallaceburg, well then that transfer would likely be approved immediately. Perhaps that shipping might cost $10.00 or so.

If a guy in Windsor wants a single bottle of wine that is at another Windsor store, it won't get transferred either. Perhaps the store would hold the bottle until he had time to get to the other store, but transferring within a city also makes no sense really. If you can drive to another store in 10 or 15 minutes, why would you have it transferred?

Looking back at the first example........If the same guy in Windsor wants two cases of $20 a bottle wine, and the only store that has it is the same North Bay Store, well that is likely to get approved as well, as the sale is $300.00, the shipping is maybe $40-$50.

Really, if the shipping costs more or about as much as the product, we generally won't do a transfer. But like I said, it is really discretionary.
Each store has a shipping budget, and the store requesting the transfer has to pay the shipping, so managers certainly keep an eye on that.

With all of this said, I do transfers like they are going out of style. I'll do them for anyone and for any products. Usually. If someone is a jerk to me, I'm not going to help them out. If they get all cranky and shit, I'll just tell em I can't do it. If someone is really pleasant and has a good rapport with me, I'll transfer a bottle to London from Mooseonee if they want.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

[quote="SteelbackGuy"] But like I said, it is really discretionary.
Each store has a shipping budget, and the store requesting the transfer has to pay the shipping, so managers certainly keep an eye on that./quote]

Thanks for shedding some more light on the process, Len. I'm curious, though, how they price the shipping, and just what the budget involves. Surely, each store gets regular deliveries, anyway, no? Not trying to be thick here, but is there really a special shipment involved?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

tuqueboy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: But like I said, it is really discretionary.
Each store has a shipping budget, and the store requesting the transfer has to pay the shipping, so managers certainly keep an eye on that./quote]

Thanks for shedding some more light on the process, Len. I'm curious, though, how they price the shipping, and just what the budget involves. Surely, each store gets regular deliveries, anyway, no? Not trying to be thick here, but is there really a special shipment involved?
if the OP is talking about something that the warehouse doesnt have in stock then it would be a transfer. if the OP want a regular list item brought into his store then this simplifies the process.

what are you looking for lukie??

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

matt7215 wrote:
if the OP is talking about something that the warehouse doesnt have in stock then it would be a transfer. if the OP want a regular list item brought into his store then this simplifies the process.
Got that. But wouldn't the transfer work like this?:
--Ship product back to warehouse (along with old/expired stock, returns; i.e. a trip which is being made anyway)
--Warehouse ships it out to new store? (again, a trip/delivery which is being made anyway)
It's not really being shipped directly from one store to another, is it? And if it is, wouldn't it be on a truck that's making its regular rounds anyway?