Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier Choklat

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

phirleh wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:So is the Black Chocolate Stout being released again this year? It is not listed in either the fall or Halloween release...
I thought it was general listed, its still on the LCBO.
It's being brought in again as a winter seasonal. I suspect they just kept the old SKU active in the system so they didn't have to create a new one when they brought it in this year.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Belgian wrote: But even in the US many micros are only seasonally avaiable. It's their low capacity. They just can't brew all their beers all at once!!
I don't follow. DDC, ST, DFH, etc. all have beers that are available year round in their "native" markets.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Gedge wrote:
Belgian wrote: But even in the US many micros are only seasonally avaiable. It's their low capacity. They just can't brew all their beers all at once!!
I don't follow. DDC, ST, DFH, etc. all have beers that are available year round in their "native" markets.
I think Gedge means that not all of the ST, DFH (etc.) beers are available all the time. In Brooklyn's case, for example, they only release Black Chocolate Stout during the winter time (usually ending in early March). Some things are simply meant to be seasonal.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote:
Gedge wrote:
I think Gedge means that not all of the ST, DFH (etc.) beers are available all the time. In Brooklyn's case, for example, they only release Black Chocolate Stout during the winter time (usually ending in early March). Some things are simply meant to be seasonal.
I think Josh means that I meant that! ;)

Southern Tier Black Water beers don't seem to show up all at once. They seem to appear one and then the next.

Also Southern Tier just added a few new beers to their regular production - and deleted two others. Not sure but I think Uber Sun is toast (and perhaps Cherry Saison?) They do hit a ceiling in their brewing schedule!
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

If I stop and think about it, it's possible that in the coming weeks we could have the ST IPA, Choklat and Pumking all on the shelves at the same time - so we're halfway to what I'm hoping for.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

The Brooklyn is definitely the better value on a simple cost basis and is also without question a world class chocolate stout.

I've only had one of the Southern Tier stouts, and although I did enjoy it, I found it a little on the boozy tasting side. I bought a few of them, so I'll give another a try this weekend.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

BooBoo wrote:The Brooklyn is definitely the better value on a simple cost basis and is also without question a world class chocolate stout.

I've only had one of the Southern Tier stouts, and although I did enjoy it, I found it a little on the boozy tasting side. I bought a few of them, so I'll give another a try this weekend.
I've had two more tastings since my initial try and I have to say that they were much better than the first time. It wasn't quite as syropy and I did not detect the odd cream soda on the other tries. The chocolate also seemed to be of higher quality (solid dark chocolate vs., powdered or Nestle's Quick) than I initially perceived. It was just delicious. The alcohol is well hidden imo until it goes upstairs. For me, this is definitly the best stout Ive tasted.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

BooBoo wrote:The Brooklyn is definitely the better value on a simple cost basis and is also without question a world class chocolate stout.
You do realize the Brooklyn actually doesn't have any chocolate or cocoa in it, right?

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

tuqueboy wrote:
You do realize the Brooklyn actually doesn't have any chocolate or cocoa in it, right?
All the more impressive!!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Just noticed I have an 11% bottle and 9.5% bottle. Both don't have dates and both were purchased at the LCBO.

Anyone happen to know when I bought these? :lol:
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just noticed I have an 11% bottle and 9.5% bottle. Both don't have dates and both were purchased at the LCBO.

Anyone happen to know when I bought these? :lol:
I think the 9.5% was 2010, and the 11% was 2011.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Thanks! Think I'll crack the '10 this weekend.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Thanks! Think I'll crack the '10 this weekend.
Let us know what it's like, we have one on in the cellar as well.
Terry

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

NRman wrote:
Terry
Much less chocolate than I remember. Don't know if that's from the ageing or the different version, or both.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
NRman wrote:
Terry
Much less chocolate than I remember. Don't know if that's from the ageing or the different version, or both.
I'm a huge fan of Choklat but, in my experience, it ages terribly (in the sense that the rich chocolate flavour diminishes drastically). There was one year I checked in on it every couple months or so and could practically plot the decline it was so appreciable. I've also done side by side of aged and fresh samples and it's clear which is better. Same goes by the way for Southern Tier Creme Brulee.