Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier Choklat

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Southern Tier Choklat

Post by Lukie »

Just snatched two bottles from the St. Lawrence Market store. This is my first try. Good beer, probably my favorite stout although I'm not a big fan of stouts (so far I liked Sinha best). This one is not at all bitter like most stouts. It has a some substantial amount of sweetness that I haven't encountered in this style before, but the sweetness is not overwhelming and I wouldn't quite call it desert. Its certainly balanced out by some bitterness. However, this beer does satiate you pretty quickly and I couldn't imagine consuming more than one bottle. To me, this also tastes and smells like cream soda, which is odd but not unpleasant. Lastly, I don't quite get the price of this. It is a syrupy, rich , filling beer but is it worth spending $7 more per bottle than for a Sinha stout, lets say? I don't know. To me, $5 - $7 price range would have been more reasonable for this product. What do you think?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I was trying to do a comparison between this and the Brooklyn Black Chocolate to compare value and came across this:

BROOKLYN BLACK CHOCOLATE STOUT
LCBO 95034 | 2130 mL bottle

Price: $ 2.55
Beer, Stout
10.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Sugar Content : 7

A 2130 ml bottle for $2.55 of 10% ABV? Can't be otherwise I'll take all you got.

Anyways I haven't tried the ST so what does everyone else think, which is better value?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lukie wrote:It is a syrupy, rich , filling beer but is it worth spending $7 more per bottle than for a Sinha stout, lets say? I don't know. To me, $5 - $7 price range would have been more reasonable for this product. What do you think?
I think it's great beer. A great BIG beer. This has been a ST favorite for me, even more than the MoKah, and I'm thrilled we got it. You want it for cheaper than Rogue Chocolate, hmmh...

I'm not sure Brooklyn BCS contains actual chocolate, but ST sure does. They don't skimp on anything with those Black Water series.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:
Lukie wrote:It is a syrupy, rich , filling beer but is it worth spending $7 more per bottle than for a Sinha stout, lets say? I don't know. To me, $5 - $7 price range would have been more reasonable for this product. What do you think?
I think it's great beer. A great BIG beer. This has been a ST favorite for me, even more than the MoKah, and I'm thrilled we got it. You want it for cheaper than Rogue Chocolate, hmmh...

I'm not sure Brooklyn BCS contains actual chocolate, but ST sure does. They don't skimp on anything with those Black Water series.

The price likely reflects the cost of those extra ingredients that they crammed into this. To me, the end result,however, is a little less than stellar and I'm a big fan of this brewery. Perhaps, I'm not a stout man.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Brooklyn is indeed better value (hard to beat that price here in Ontario) but the Choklat is a better beer. In fact, I would go as far as to say its the best of the Black Water Series and perhaps even their best beer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ukie wrote:I was trying to do a comparison between this and the Brooklyn Black Chocolate to compare value and came across this:

Beer, Stout
10.0% Alcohol/Vol.

A 2130 ml bottle for $2.55 of 10% ABV? Can't be otherwise I'll take all you got.

Anyways I haven't tried the ST so what does everyone else think, which is better value?
That has to be a typee-o. A 2130 ML bottle for $2.30? No chance. That's the size of a growler.

notdan

Post by notdan »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Ukie wrote:I was trying to do a comparison between this and the Brooklyn Black Chocolate to compare value and came across this:

Beer, Stout
10.0% Alcohol/Vol.

That has to be a typee-o. A 2130 ML bottle for $2.30? No chance. That's the size of a growler.
It's the size of a 6 pack (6*355=2130). Someone must have thought it was being sold in 6-packs.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

notdan wrote: It's the size of a 6 pack (6*355=2130). Someone must have thought it was being sold in 6-packs.
That makes sense. So that is $15.30 for the 1230 ml. Compared to Choklat at $9.75 for 650 ml.

So is the Black Chocolate Stout being released again this year? It is not listed in either the fall or Halloween release...

wilco

Post by wilco »

The BCS was in the Winter Warmers last year and would probably reappear in the same release if it is coming back.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ritzkiss wrote:Brooklyn is indeed better value (hard to beat that price here in Ontario) but the Choklat is a better beer. In fact, I would go as far as to say its the best of the Black Water Series and perhaps even their best beer.
Yes BCS is stupid cheap, so it removes the excuse to complain rather than provides one. It is a wonderful, inexpensive go-to stout.

And the Southern Tier Imperial Stouts are all, for the most part, take 'em or leave 'em beers. So are most Quadrupels! (Can't drink those every day either.) Not the beer's fault IMO. I like that they have so much unrestrained character, even if at times I'd reach for something else. I think calling them all 'too sweet' over-simplifies the intention of the Series. In the right mood, beers like Choklat are heavenly! The malts they use are beautiful.
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:So is the Black Chocolate Stout being released again this year? It is not listed in either the fall or Halloween release...
I thought it was general listed, its still on the LCBO.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Sometimes I think that seasonal releases of the Southern Tier bombers and the debate around the merits of whichever one makes it to the LCBO really just points out the need to have multiple ST products (and Brooklyn, and DDC, and DFH, and...) year-round. If these one-offs continue to sell well maybe we can get to that point someday. Someday.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

phirleh wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:So is the Black Chocolate Stout being released again this year? It is not listed in either the fall or Halloween release...
I thought it was general listed, its still on the LCBO.
I wasn't aware of that. That is good news!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Just went to my local LCBO and all that was left were a few bottles of Choklat and 2 Garrison IIPAs. Both only hit the shelves today and never even showed up in the on line inventory. I hope the LCBO distribution centre has more of these to send around because it looks like they are selling very fast!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:Sometimes I think that seasonal releases of the Southern Tier bombers and the debate around the merits of whichever one makes it to the LCBO really just points out the need to have multiple ST products (and Brooklyn, and DDC, and DFH, and...) year-round.
But even in the US many micros are only seasonally avaiable. It's their low capacity. They just can't brew all their beers all at once!!

I kind of like that, having a different 'replacement brew' from them every so often! It works for USA retail. Permanent year-round products are the domain of the bigger guys (Fullers, Schneider, Leffe.) Gimme Troegg's Nugget Nectar once a year, like it ought to be (?)
In Beerum Veritas