Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nasty Habit IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Nasty Habit IPA

Post by PeenSteen »

Just a heads up the production date is Aug.13 and should be province wide. It doesn't say on the bottle only the cases.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote:Just a heads up the production date is Aug.13 and should be province wide. It doesn't say on the bottle only the cases.
Thanks for the info. 2 months of age isn't so bad I guess...

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

PeenSteen wrote:Just a heads up the production date is Aug.13 and should be province wide. It doesn't say on the bottle only the cases.
Actually it does, lower left on the label.

The one I picked up today shows 23010, the 230th day of 2010 and if my math is correct, should be Aug 18, 2010.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Ukie wrote:

The one I picked up today shows 23010, the 230th day of 2010 and if my math is correct, should be Aug 18, 2010.
Think your better than me because you actually read the label?? lol

yeah I see that now....thanks for pointing out my shortcomings.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

PeenSteen wrote:
Ukie wrote:

I usually read the label when I buy it because after two I cant.

Some people do Sudoku I try to read the bottling codes, much more challenging.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Ukie wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Ukie wrote: Actually it does, lower left on the label.

If you can decipher unibroue codes hook a brother up

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

PeenSteen wrote:
Ukie wrote:
PeenSteen wrote: Think your better than me because you actually read the label?? lol

Unibroue actually has one of the easiest to follow codes in my view. Example: K1609= November 16th 2009. The letter represents months starting at A=January and so on, the next two numbers are day and month. There might be a bunch of numbers afterwards, but they're just batch number or something like that. The first part is what really matters. It was the first code I ever learned and generally find it the easiest to follow. Hope this helps.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

JesseM wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Ukie wrote:

Unibroue actually has one of the easiest to follow codes in my view. Example: K1609= November 16th 2009. The letter represents months starting at A=January and so on, the next two numbers are day and month. There might be a bunch of numbers afterwards, but they're just batch number or something like that. The first part is what really matters. It was the first code I ever learned and generally find it the easiest to follow. Hope this helps.
yeah it does thanks bro!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

No problem man. In my experiences, unless it's Blanche du Chambly, the codes are most welcome when they're old as can be 8) .

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JesseM wrote:Unibroue actually has one of the easiest to follow codes in my view. Example: K1609= November 16th 2009. The letter represents months starting at A=January and so on, the next two numbers are day and month. There might be a bunch of numbers afterwards, but they're just batch number or something like that. The first part is what really matters. It was the first code I ever learned and generally find it the easiest to follow. Hope this helps.
Don't forget, many brewers (not sure if it's the case with Unibroue) skip "I" because it can easily be confused with "1".

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

velovampire wrote:
JesseM wrote:Unibroue actually has one of the easiest to follow codes in my view. Example: K1609= November 16th 2009. The letter represents months starting at A=January and so on, the next two numbers are day and month. There might be a bunch of numbers afterwards, but they're just batch number or something like that. The first part is what really matters. It was the first code I ever learned and generally find it the easiest to follow. Hope this helps.
Don't forget, many brewers (not sure if it's the case with Unibroue) skip "I" because it can easily be confused with "1".
That may be the case I have 2 Trois Pistoles that start with M so I suppose that since there is no 13th month that its December

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

PeenSteen wrote:
That may be the case I have 2 Trois Pistoles that start with M so I suppose that since there is no 13th month that its December
Thats right. M0309 is December 3 2009. Unibroue says you can age that 5 to 8 years so no worries.

On the subject of codes you may see some or all European codes reversed, hence 100110 is the 10th day of January 2010 not Oct 1 2010. Lastly, if the box has only a month and day be wary. I saw a box in the summer with a bottling date of Aug 27. Pretty fresh I thought until I realized it was Aug 26.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Ukie wrote:Thats right. M0309 is December 3 2009. Unibroue says you can age that 5 to 8 years so no worries.
Last year I found a pair of Fin Du Monde bombers at my parent's house with the code H179, August 17, 1999!
Still tasted incredible!

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5297
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

Nasty Habit has to be one of the best IPA's I have ever bought from the LCBO - reminds me of Green Flash Imperial IPA.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Dokta Owange wrote:Nasty Habit has to be one of the best IPA's I have ever bought from the LCBO - reminds me of Green Flash Imperial IPA.
Really? I was actually disappointed with it. I found that the nose was excellent but the palate was weak (not bitter enough and lacking in flavour too) and the mouthfeel was light and watery.

I only bought one bottle and won't be buying more.

That said, with the limited choices available at the LCBO, if you are in the mood for and IPA, aside from Southern Tier IPA, nothing comes to mind right away that is better...