Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Harviestoun Ola Dubh Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Quick info update on this release:

The 12 and 40 are going to have fairly wide distribution, while the other three will be limited to 25 stores.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

GregClow wrote:Quick info update on this release:

The 12 and 40 are going to have fairly wide distribution, while the other three will be limited to 25 stores.
Interesting. Looks like the 12 is selling very well so far. The stores that have got it in have seen it disappear very quickly from the shelves. My store didn't even have it show up in inventory. Disappeared the day they put it out (I was lucky enough to stop by that day and grab some).

Yankee Jim

Post by Yankee Jim »

A head's up for Barrie Bar Towellers:

Our store on Bayfield St. received a generous amount of each vintage today. I was able to get them all out on the floor today.

We seem to have gotten quite a number of the 16 yr. olds and 40 yr. olds. As for the others, only 3-4 cases was de rigeur.

Considering how quickly we sold out of the 40 and 12 last year, I would say Barrie has quite the appetite for such pricey beer.

Cheers!

- Stuart

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I don't know how many they have, but I was able to get a bottle of each vintage at Yonge/Dundas (Atrium on Bay)

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

JesseMcG wrote:I don't know how many they have, but I was able to get a bottle of each vintage at Yonge/Dundas (Atrium on Bay)
Good supply if you live in TO nothing west of Oakville yet.

Might make the drive, might not.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Grabbed 1 of each in Aurora. I'll probably go back for more of the 16 as they seem to have tons of it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lots of all five at Cooper Street, so got the 3 new ones.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:Lots of all five at Cooper Street, so got the 3 new ones.
And.....?

How much difference is there between them all? I'm tryin to justify the cost, 3 new ones plus a 40 runs to $48.80. I could get 8 of the 12 for that price.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Alll different, and all lighter-bodied beers that showcase the oak decently. I found the 18 slightly overwhelmed by the wood, a bit more tarry peaty and smokey, while the 16 is a bit more rounded and smooth like the 12. For value you can't beat the very balanced 12. The 40 had some "very toasty mature oak which is buttery with caramel and coconut" and had a bit of lactic-acid quality - and all Ola Dubh beers have similarities. It's a question of whether you want to try them, not whether they are economical because they are not.

For just one 30 + one 40 at Premier you could instead bring home a few Adam, a Black Albert and probably an De Dolle Oerbier or two. That is a tough value equation I admit.

So get 8 of the 12 and be done with it!
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Ukie wrote:How much difference is there between them all? I'm tryin to justify the cost, 3 new ones plus a 40 runs to $48.80. I could get 8 of the 12 for that price.
Greg posted a review of them on his site tasteto.com.

Last time I only got the 12 and didn't really care for it. This time I got a couple of the 30 based off of Greg's review. Hope he's right. :wink:
lister

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

I will the 18yo first based on Highland Park whisky and pick 2 up in Aurora.

Although some people think HP12 is a good balanced whisky, I dont care for it or the 15 or 16 (I think LC sells 15 now). The HP 18 and 25 are outstanding whiskies and probably top 5 single malt OBs I have tried.

I guess there is no 25yo cask matured which I think is better than the 30. However at this time spending $15 on a beer is out of my range as far as beers go.

I know I shouldnt really do it based on the whisky I tasted that was in the barrel but I am....lol
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

lister wrote:
Ukie wrote:How much difference is there between them all? I'm tryin to justify the cost, 3 new ones plus a 40 runs to $48.80. I could get 8 of the 12 for that price.
Greg posted a review of them on his site tasteto.com.

Last time I only got the 12 and didn't really care for it. This time I got a couple of the 30 based off of Greg's review. Hope he's right. :wink:
After reading Greg's review I still couldn't decide what to buy. So I bought 1 of each drove home sucked them all back and drove back and bought some more, at least I think I did or maybe I didn't. What day is today?

Just kidding Officer, I bought a 18 and a 30 based on what y'all said and will sample them later. The window here could be open a few days. Thanks for all the input on what to buy, good stuff!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Scooped up a few of each at the Yonge & Wedgewood location last night. They actually had them all up front by the cash where the mini Whisky & Champagne bottles are.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

notdan

Post by notdan »

Uptown Waterloo has tons of everything. I picked up the 16 thinking it was the one you guys were recommending... turns out you guys were recommending the 18. Oh well. They had tons, maybe I'll pick up the 18 next time I'm there.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

Same with the Northfield/king location in Waterloo. Just note that they have the 40 and 12 up beside 2 of the registers, and the others back on the rack with the other seasonal release beers.

Picked up a 40 and a couple of 30's. Might still grab an 18 to try.