Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Harviestoun Ola Dubh Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Harviestoun Ola Dubh Brewery Feature

Post by GregClow »

The next brewery feature release at the LCBO - scheduled to start in November - will be Harviestoun, focused on their Ola Dubh series:

"Ola Dubh (Black Oil) is so named because it is gloopy and viscous. It is a unique collaboration between Scotland’s Harviestoun Brewery and Highland Park Distillery. It is based on small batches of Harviestoun’s Old Engine Oil that is aged in malt whisky casks from Orkney’s respected Highland Park. The casks are traceable, the bottles are numbered and signed by the Head Brewery and Master of Wood. Ola Dubh is a unique and rare product and we are featuring all 5 expressions of Ola Dubh: 12, 16, 18, 30 and 40 year old reserves."

107672 / Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 Year Old / $5.95 / 330 ml
170680 / Ola Dubh Special Reserve 16 Year Old / $6.95 / 330 ml
180315 / Ola Dubh Special Reserve 18 year old / $7.95 / 330 ml
107698 / Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30 year old / $14.95 / 330 ml
143613 / Ola Dubh Special Reserve 40 year old / $18.95 / 330 ml
Last edited by GregClow on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Cool! Hopefully it gets some decent distribution. After enjoying the 12 last year, I'd definitely like to sample a few others.

Anyone try any of their 12 recently? I just remembered I have two bottles sitting in the basement from last fall.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

notdan wrote:Cool! Hopefully it gets some decent distribution. After enjoying the 12 last year, I'd definitely like to sample a few others.

Anyone try any of their 12 recently? I just remembered I have two bottles sitting in the basement from last fall.
I had both the 12 and 40, back to back, on Thanksgiving. The first time I tried them the 40 really seemed to pack more of a scotch punch... but this time they seemed more similar. They're both unbelievable.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Shame they aren't bringing in the Old Engine Oil as well, that's a really drinkable beer.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

If a few of you want to have a 'ticker tasting' for the three new Ola Dubh it might be worth trying them in a vertical. See you in February.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

notdan wrote:Cool! Hopefully it gets some decent distribution. After enjoying the 12 last year, I'd definitely like to sample a few others.

I had a 12 about 2 weeks ago that came from Alberta. It was my first and only beer in this series that I have tried and it was DELICIOUS. Looking forward to trying all of these...

carguy

Post by carguy »

I've got a 12 and two 40's from the last release still in my cellar. Nice to see there is more coming.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:If a few of you want to have a 'ticker tasting' for the three new Ola Dubh it might be worth trying them in a vertical. See you in February.
I'll be doing them in a vertical, but no tickers will be invited.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:If a few of you want to have a 'ticker tasting' for the three new Ola Dubh it might be worth trying them in a vertical. See you in February.
Bobsy setting the superior example. :wink: I thought you Brits understood irony, I am disappointed. (hint: tickers do not call themselves tickers.)
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
Bobsy setting the superior example. :wink: I thought you Brits understood irony, I am disappointed. (hint: tickers do not call themselves tickers.)
Sure they do. Tickers know they are tickers
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

viggo wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Bobsy wrote: I'll be doing them in a vertical, but no tickers will be invited.
Sure they do. Tickers know they are tickers

Anyone that rates beer on a beer rating website, is , in fact, a ticker! :) Like it or not!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The first rule of ticking... don't talk about ticking!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Looks like Summerhill had a case of 12 of the 12 and 12 of the 40.

Probably new stock or leftovers?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

heh. master of wood.
saintjohnswort.ca

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Looks like all 5 are listed with the 12 and 40 showing some inventory:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

Tried 1 of my 12's from last year and as others have said it is aging nicely. Probably wont get a choice on the new ones so I will just buy what I see.