Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams in Ontario 2010/2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

sprague11 wrote:I'll probably spring for a bottle and extend an open invitation to any Bartowelers that either want come to come to Newmarket or wait till I hit London
Maybe the LCBO will have my cases of Black Damnation and Pannepot sent the 20km up Yonge street by then
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

probstk

Post by probstk »

cfrancis wrote:I want infinium but it will probably be only available around Toronto.

Anybody in Ottawa want to go together and call up a case?
Sure. I can probably scare up a few more O-town beer geeks too.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Evidently SA Utopia $115 a bottle and 40 bottles available:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... to-ontario

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Ukie wrote:Evidently SA Utopia $115 a bottle and 40 bottles available:

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... to-ontario
It doesn't seem to be credited here, but this is actually Mr Rubin's article, and it made the front page of today's Star! Imagine that. Beer on the front page.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hmm... front page Star news, just 40 bottles... good luck getting even one (esp. with restaurants elbowing into the line, LOL.) Upshot is that if the hype sells it out in a day, Utopias will likely be back again in 2011, and sell much more gradually (as did the Ola Dubh 40 when it was quietly re-stocked.)

And hey - nifty bottle. Make a nice door stop! ;)

(PS - the Infinium looks like an awfully nice classy present for friends and fam who like to drink bubbly.)
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The #1 question on the LCBO customer service FAQ is about Utopias!

http://service.lcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/764

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

You know its tough to get when they sell it on Ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sam+adams+utopias

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:You know its tough to get when they sell it on Ebay:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sam+adams+utopias
I almost made a joke about re-selling a few on Fleabay to cover one's own costs. "Collectible glassware, contents not intended for consumption."

I think the Liquor Control Freaks would be all over that. :D
In Beerum Veritas

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

When I was at the Montreal Beer Festival this June, samples of the Utopias were selling for $10 if memory serves. Alas, they were out of stock by the time I arrived at the booth. Don't think I'd buy a bottle at the price they are asking but I am looking forward to some of their other offerings.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

One of my best beer memories is a Sam Adams event that Sleeman held at Bier Markt back in 2003, soon after they signed the distribution deal.

It was a sit-down tasting featuring the Lager, Spring Ale, Winter Ale, and maybe one other of their "regular" beers, followed by Triple Bock, Millennium and Utopias. There was also food, and IIRC, it was only $20. An insane bargain considering that's what a serving of the Utopias alone usually sells for in bars.

Sadly, I think that event was the only good thing Sleeman ever did with the brand. So glad that Moosehead is doing a lot more with them!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It is disturbing that there are only 40 bottles. I hope restaurants to budge in here and buy it all up to rape their customers for $20-30 samples.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:It is disturbing that there are only 40 bottles. I hope restaurants to budge in here and buy it all up to rape their customers for $20-30 samples.
Pfffff that never happens.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sprague11 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:It is disturbing that there are only 40 bottles. I hope restaurants to budge in here and buy it all up to rape their customers for $20-30 samples.
Pfffff that never happens.
Yeah I know hahahah.

Seriously though, if some restaurant owner decides he/she wants 15 bottles of the stuff, and stock piles it so no one else can buy it, then I essentially consider them terrorists. Holding customers hostage in the hops they will come and pay a silly amount of money. I think this happened with the Ola Dubhs too. It is highway robbery!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:Upshot is that if the hype sells it out in a day,
I would say more like a minute after Summerhill opens. You will have people camping out, who dont have a clue about beer, just looking to grab some to flog on Ebay, Craigslist and Kijiji just in time for Christmas. I know it is illegal but....? There is always a workaround.

There were 8 or 9 thousand for sale last year and I read they were almost impossible to find, speaking of which:

"Mommy why is that lady crying?"

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/ups-shat ... reams.html

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

My first, and probably last, Samuel Adam's purchase was the Triple Bock. If you've had it, you know that dreadful doesn't quite begin to describe it. I realize that the brewery must put out consumable product, but once bitten, twice shy. I did get a very big laugh just now though, as I've only started watchine 'Oz & James Drink To Britain', and in episode 5 they crack open a bottle of Utopia. Their reaction mirrors my expectation of what it would taste like.