Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams in Ontario 2010/2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

That is a whole lot of people who want to pay $115 for a bottle of beer. Unless it tastes like watching girls kiss, I can't imagine it's worth the price to me, even then...

So you guys who registered for the lottery, what's the appeal to you? Is it just the limited amount?

TJ

Post by TJ »

ErkLR wrote:That is a whole lot of people who want to pay $115 for a bottle of beer. Unless it tastes like watching girls kiss, I can't imagine it's worth the price to me, even then...

So you guys who registered for the lottery, what's the appeal to you? Is it just the limited amount?
The bottle. The rarity. The A rating on Beer Advocate. The chance to share a bottle with some friends. But mostly, why the hell not?

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

ErkLR wrote:That is a whole lot of people who want to pay $115 for a bottle of beer. Unless it tastes like watching girls kiss, I can't imagine it's worth the price to me, even then...

There's a whole lot of people who will pay hundreds of dollars for a great bottle of scotch or wine. I don't see the difference.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

the first time i tried utopias, i had really low expectations. i thought it would just be a boozy mess barely recognizable as beer. i was totally blown away by how wrong i was, and how good it was. i said right away that i'd gladly pay for a bottle so i could drink it again. i wanted more. i want to spend a day (or two) sitting around and just savoring a bottle. so yeah, i have no trouble ponying up for one. in fact, i'm guessing i'm not the only one to get their wife/family to throw in extra entries in hopes of scoring one, or even a second for more extended time in the cellar. it's good stuff and worth the price.

jstahl

Post by jstahl »

Any one get a notice of the lottery yet?
Website says 18th or later.
Ocean brings the flavour through - Stan Rogers

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

When I signed up they told me I would be notified whether or not I was chosen, but I haven't heard anything yet.

El Torpedo

Post by El Torpedo »

I got one!!! Or more accurately my soon-to-be 80 year old mother got one (on my behalf - she doesn't even know what it is!). They phoned her this morning, took her credit card info and will let her know when it's delivered to her local LCBO. They even asked if she'd be willing to talk to the media due to the "high level of interest in this lottery". She declined. :) I can't wait - I've never even had the opportunity to taste it.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

A Volo regular is also the lucky recipient too.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:A Volo regular is also the lucky recipient too.
Hopefully it is Dougshoemaker. I couldn't think of a better guy to have won this beer lottery.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Hopefully it is Dougshoemaker. I couldn't think of a better guy to have won this beer lottery.
Nope, haven't heard from Doug. Jeez, if it was Doug it'd all be shared out already :wink:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Torontoblue wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Nope, haven't heard from Doug. Jeez, if it was Doug it'd all be shared out already :wink:
Could you imagine if he did win?

"Did I tell you about the time when I won a bottle of Utopias? Its a beer made by Sam Adams, who is no relation to Grizzly Adams, who has a fine beard. I had a beard once that I grew as a dare in the 1970s. Of course the Rolling Stones were all the rage back then..."

Ah, I'm long overdue a drink with Doug.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Bobsy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: Hopefully it is Dougshoemaker. I couldn't think of a better guy to have won this beer lottery.

"Did I tell you about the time when I won a bottle of Utopias? Its a beer made by Sam Adams, who is no relation to Grizzly Adams, who has a fine beard. I had a beard once that I grew as a dare in the 1970s. Of course the Rolling Stones were all the rage back then..."

Excellent.................I love Doug stories and the little segue's.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Torontoblue wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Nope, haven't heard from Doug. Jeez, if it was Doug it'd all be shared out already :wink:

Excellent.................I love Doug stories and the little segue's.
Spot on!!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Torontoblue wrote:Excellent.................I love Doug stories and the little segue's.
little?!? hahaha. it's like tangent from a segue from a diversion from a sidetrack. that's half the fun though :D

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

:lol: LOL :lol:

Doug's a great story-teller... and Doug, you're welcome back to my place ANY time (it's just bit further now).