Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Yello to Mello

Post by Yello to Mello »

markaberrant wrote: Follow Cass' lead, why not form a private import "consortium," get to know brewers and distributors outside of Ontario, while at the same time making connections within the LCBO and learning about the system, while at the same time drinking good beer! Hell, form a CAMRA chapter, or a beer appreciation club, teach a BJCP class/host tasting seminars, talk to local food producers/restaurants about beer and food pairings, whatever. Create awareness without simply bashing the government.
That is a good post, because I am already doing most of those things. At this point I cant elaborate what I am doing in detail yet. But as I said it will still take years. I don't think I have bashed the government here but I guess my last post did seem like another 'helpless plea' in a sea of bashing. I came here with reason too and read a great deal of the threads archived in this forum long before my registration date.

Good things may come.
The Maple Leaf Lounge (Canadian whisky forum): http://www.whiskywhiskywhisky.com/forum ... .php?f=204

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
Yello to Mello wrote:Right now I only know 'angry mob'...lol. Connections take years.
Well, there already is an OCB, and they even have OCB events within govt, so that is a start. Contact the OCB, ask what you can do to help them, tell them what you want to see as a consumer, get involved. Follow Cass' lead, why not form a private import "consortium," get to know brewers and distributors outside of Ontario, while at the same time making connections within the LCBO and learning about the system, and you get to drink good beer that you picked yourself! Hell, form a CAMRA chapter, or a beer appreciation club, teach a BJCP class/host tasting seminars, talk to local food producers/restaurants about beer and food pairings, volunteer to help plan or even start your own beer festival, whatever. Create awareness without simply bashing the government.
best post ever on this forum!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This release will start to hit the shelves on the 5th and there was a media tasting on Friday. Very impressive, some great beers.

Unfortunately both the St Bernardus and Jacobite will be delayed a bit, which is unfortunate as those were probably my top two wants out of the release.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Looks like a few bottles of the Meantime Coffee Porter have found their way to an LCBO in Thornbury for anyone who happens to live in the area.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

GregClow wrote:The following beers will be included in the LCBO Winter Warmers 2010 release, due in stores starting the week of Dec 5th:

95034 / Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout / BROOKLYN BREWERY CORPORATION / 10.1 / 4 x 355 / $11.75 / UNITED STATES
This is one of those LCBO change it up things.

It appears the 95034 number was for the 355ml single bottle, the new 4 pack # is 220194. So if its BCS you are looking for.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There was some Lava and Traf#$%gar at Queens Quay, as well as the pricey Lake Of Bays coffee porter that is not part of this release.

It appears the LOB is contract brewed by Muskoka? If so, good!

Really looking forward to trying the Icelandic stout! The lager was just excellent.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Belgian wrote:It appears the LOB is contract brewed by Muskoka? If so, good!
are you thinking that because of the bottle?

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Just grabbed some Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout (never even knew about this one) some Soltice D'Hiver, Koninghoeven and Brooklyn Chocolate.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

matt7215 wrote:
Belgian wrote:It appears the LOB is contract brewed by Muskoka? If so, good!
are you thinking that because of the bottle?
Given their investment up there in Baysville I'd be surprised if they brewed anything outside. Their web site suggests its brewed in their brewery ...

"Our first "official" brew on the big system of our delicious Mocha Porter took place just before the holiday weekend"

http://www.lakeofbaysbrewing.ca/news+events.php

and facebook has pics of the bottling

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 2413023255

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry is quite nice, picked up a couple bottles at the brewery last weekend, by the time I finished one on Saturday night my ass was pretty kicked (although that might have had something to do with drinking some homebrew porter first)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Saw about a third to half the release out at the Jane/Dundas location tonight.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Saw all but the Traquair, Box Steam and St. Bernardus in Hamilton. They even had the Muskoka Double Chocolate.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Ukie wrote:Saw all but the Traquair, Box Steam and St. Bernardus in Hamilton. They even had the Muskoka Double Chocolate.
I think there's a slight delay on the Box Steam as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:Saw all but the Traquair, Box Steam and St. Bernardus in Hamilton. They even had the Muskoka Double Chocolate.
I read this: * rubs his eyes in dazed disbelief *

Weird huh.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:
I read this: * rubs his eyes in dazed disbelief *

Weird huh.
And then I rubbed my hands together saying "Todays my lucky day!" as I filled a box.

Actually this store blew thru the Muskoka Harvest big time and I didn't have the Double Chocolate on my cheat sheet. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.