Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:This government monopoly can't get anything right. What a shitty release. Back where I am from, in my day, this would just be a piss fest. Pffft!
i miss sober, medication taking len :(

heebes

Post by heebes »

where's the Rogue Yellow Snow peensteen said was coming?

carguy

Post by carguy »

Looks like a good release to me!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

As far as I'm concerned, this a fantastic release. I may not want the Creme Brulee again, but I bet a lot of people do with the way it sold last year. I just ignore the token Trafalgar offering each release. The Marstons doesn't interest me. Everything else gets my appetite going. This is one seriously solid line-up of beers.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

heebes wrote:where's the Rogue Yellow Snow peensteen said was coming?
most likely february....on the LCBO internal system it shows no price and no unit size.....it showed the same thing for Orval 2 1/2 months ago and it showed up only last week, so late jan/feb sounds about right.

But holy hell what a winter warmers releases. Jacobite surprised the hell out of me thats amazing that it will be available.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:This government monopoly can't get anything right. What a shitty release. Back where I am from, in my day, this would just be a piss fest. Pffft!
i miss sober, medication taking len :(

Yeah, I was just fucking around. It is a great release. Likely one of the best I've seen.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

For me this a great release! I've had other beers from Koningshoeven, St. Ambrosie, St. Bernardus, and Christoffel that I've really enjoyed and look forward to these offerings. I've researched the Box Steam, Traquair, Lava, and Meantime, all of which I look forward too. The Schneider and Brooklyn are old Favs, and anything from DDC is worth trying.

The Creme Brulee is too sweet for my taste, the Marston's is OK, and I will no longer buy anything from Trafalgar until reviews I respect convince me otherwise.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

bullring

Post by bullring »

I hope I can get a chance to try the Quadrupel!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

One of everything for me - and i imagine the trafalgar would at least ignite a bonfire quite well

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Really looking forward to these. Like I've said before it really seems the LCBO is picking up their game. I plan on buying plenty of the St. Bernardus abt 12.

I have to agree with Steelback on this one, this is definitely one of the better releases.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Pinch me, is this really happening? Wow, I'm speechless. The commies finally got it right.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

bullring wrote:I hope I can get a chance to try the Quadrupel!
It is fantastico. One of my first experiences with fine beers. Def under rated imo.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having ALL these faintly astonishes me:

Quadrupel Trappist Ale KONINGSHOVEN
St Ambroise Vintage Ale
Box Steam Dark & Handsome
ST. BERNARDUS ABT 12
Traquair Jacobite Ale
DIEU DU CIEL! SOLSTICE D'HIVER
Creme Brulee
Lava, Smoked Imperial Stout
Meantime Coffee Porter

Others really good too, but these are... wow.

I actually think the Jacobite Ale is superior to nearly every Belgian strong beer I've tried. Many very, very interesting ones on the list this time. What took them so long to sell a bunch of good winter beers in Ontario! :lol: It's not like there's any lack of winter. Before long, it will look like the LC takes a commercial interest in good selection.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Belgian wrote: I actually think the Jacobite Ale is superior to nearly every Belgian strong beer I've tried.
You do know that Jacobite is a spiced strong scottish ale, right? I prefer their Traquair House ale, but both are solid.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

markaberrant wrote:
Belgian wrote: I actually think the Jacobite Ale is superior to nearly every Belgian strong beer I've tried.
You do know that Jacobite is a spiced strong scottish ale, right? I prefer their Traquair House ale, but both are solid.
Yes!! ;) I'm saying let's not overlook beers of strong, spicy style style beyond Belgium. It's a little obscure.

I had the Traquair House a month ago and still defer supremacy to the Jacobite. It's freaking awesome.
In Beerum Veritas