Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

:( :cry: :x
JohnnyB wrote:Colorful packaging also inspires anarchists...
"I warned you!, that colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!!"

Source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDI2_FHqdg

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Peter has admitted on these very forums that he hid many 420 references in the packaging and he wondered if the LCBO Social Responsibly people would notice them. It looks like they did. Maybe that was a bad decision, in hindsight.

Nope. Can't be it. We'll just blanketly make shit up, but there is no way the common sense reason is actually the reason!

Seriously, this sucks. I am going to find out who is on the SR committee and post their information here for all to see. I've had enough.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bearing

Post by Bearing »

Weebay wrote:So what's next? Do you change the name? Do we riot?
Agreed - this is my favourite Ontario PA and I was very much looking forward to seeing it everywhere.

Is there anything useful we can do to encourage the LCBO to change it's mind, or are there no options for name/packaging changes at this late hour?

Please let us know if/how the appreciative masses can be useful...

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bearing wrote:Is there anything useful we can do to encourage the LCBO to change it's mind, or are there no options for name/packaging changes at this late hour?

Please let us know if/how the appreciative masses can be useful...
Does political pressure matter at all at this point? This seems like the sort of story with a bit of potential public interest.We are heading up to an election with Mr. McGuinty, professed lover of craft beer, trailing badly.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

I for one plan to contact my local MPP and complain.

The idea of the beer store is great, but it should be run by the OCB, not foreign companies. Then get rid of the high listing fee''s, and set up a distribution system that supports ontario breweries who are putting money into the ontario economy, and not some foreign companies bottom line.

Also the whole social responsibility process should be more open, and let the public give feedback as to what is deemed acceptable. Who are they to decide what is not acceptable in a product only available to adults, who are of an age to make decisions for themselves.

So what do they think is happening, someone says "hey, I was going to drink tonic water tonight, but ended up in the LCBO somehow, and wow, look at that smashbomb packaging, I will buy a few 6 packs of that and get loaded instead". Its ridiculous. They should be worrying more about the big breweries trying to associate the image of hot young women and being the life of the party with products they are selling cheaper and in larger packaging sizes.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Why not just re-package / rename it? Yes, they've already invested X amount of dollars into it but its gotta be cheaper to do than pay those outrageous beer store fees. And im sure craft beer sells better at LCBOs than at Beer Stores.

Just call it Hop Bomb Atomic IPA or something.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

You should sell it in a plain brown six pack holder with white labels on the bottle that just say BEER in black letters. Will prove a point and curious people will still buy it because the packaging is so different.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

LondonBeer wrote:You should sell it in a plain brown six pack holder with white labels on the bottle that just say BEER in black letters. Will prove a point and curious people will still buy it because the packaging is so different.
I like that idea. LIke a mystery beer!
But really, the system needs an overhaul so I say just privatize the whole thing and be done with it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

LondonBeer wrote:You should sell it in a plain brown six pack holder with white labels on the bottle that just say BEER in black letters. Will prove a point and curious people will still buy it because the packaging is so different.
Drummond Brewery from Alberta used to sell this. Not particularly graet beer but the packaging amused me so much that it was what I mostly drank when I was 18 and living in Banff. Plain cardboard packing with a stamp that said "BEER". No false advertising there!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

toweringpine wrote:Drummond Brewery from Alberta used to sell this. Not particularly graet beer but the packaging amused me so much that it was what I mostly drank when I was 18 and living in Banff. Plain cardboard packing with a stamp that said "BEER". No false advertising there!
I remember getting those stubbies when I went out to Banff too in the early 90's, it was only about 5 bucks for a 6 pack. I guess they still sell it in cans.

Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

I find it somewhat ironic that an organization whose only line of business is a product that contributes to thousands of deaths per year in Canada even has a "Social Responsibility" department. Although, the military has an "Intelligence" department so I suppose anything is possible. What's next, the "Department Of Hugs And Kisses" in the Gadhafi regime?
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

If anything those plan labeled beers are worse since the implication is that the contents are irrelevant as long as they contain an intoxicating malt beverage. sigh.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

BooBoo wrote:I find it somewhat ironic that an organization whose only line of business is a product that contributes to thousands of deaths per year in Canada even has a "Social Responsibility" department. Although, the military has an "Intelligence" department so I suppose anything is possible. What's next, the "Department Of Hugs And Kisses" in the Gadhafi regime?
Stephen Harper's Ministry of Truth.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The_Jester wrote:
BooBoo wrote:I find it somewhat ironic that an organization whose only line of business is a product that contributes to thousands of deaths per year in Canada even has a "Social Responsibility" department. Although, the military has an "Intelligence" department so I suppose anything is possible. What's next, the "Department Of Hugs And Kisses" in the Gadhafi regime?
Stephen Harper's Ministry of Truth.

Love it!