Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cfrancis wrote:I was in the SAQ yesterday picking up some St. Bernardus 12 and Gouden Carolus Classic and what did I see at the cash on display?

Would this pass Social Responsibility in Ontario?

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Would this pass Social Responsibility in Ontario?
It already failed about a year or so ago.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Are the Everest beers available at the brewery at all?

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

New article from the globeandmail.com

"Ever been offended by the sight of a bottle of booze?

The question surfaced earlier this month after the Liquor Control Board of Ontario rejected a new listing for Smashbomb Atomic IPA. The beer, made by Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery of Barrie, Ont., was deemed potentially upsetting in light of Canada’s military missions in Libya and Afghanistan. Then there was the uncomfortable association of “smashed” and “bombed” with getting tanked in the civilian sense.

..."
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

mintjellie wrote:Are the Everest beers available at the brewery at all?
At the moment, the experiments are only available at Gambrinus in London. We will start shipping to Bar Volo very soon as well as C'est What....I hope that helps.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

have you ever tried getting Golden Kiwi in Cambridge to carry any of your products?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

RayOhm wrote:New article from the globeandmail.com

"Ever been offended by the sight of a bottle of booze?

The question surfaced earlier this month after the Liquor Control Board of Ontario rejected a new listing for Smashbomb Atomic IPA. The beer, made by Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery of Barrie, Ont., was deemed potentially upsetting in light of Canada’s military missions in Libya and Afghanistan. Then there was the uncomfortable association of “smashed” and “bombed” with getting tanked in the civilian sense.

..."
I'm always amused by the "Smash is a brewing acronym" defense for a beer that is not a single hop beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

DragonOfBlood wrote: I'm always amused by the "Smash is a brewing acronym" defense for a beer that is not a single hop beer.
It started out as one.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

The first released batch of this beer was entirely hopped with citra.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

But would the six pack placed on the shelf at the LCBO be a single mash and single hopped beer? I'm under the impression that the answer would be no. By all means please correct me if I'm wrong....i personally don't care I just want the damn beer. :D

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

dutchcanuck wrote:But would the six pack placed on the shelf at the LCBO be a single mash and single hopped beer? I'm under the impression that the answer would be no. By all means please correct me if I'm wrong....i personally don't care I just want the damn beer. :D
The answer is "yes" it use to be a SMASH beer (Crystal / Citra). I know on version 5 we use U.S. Crystal (not Muntons) and Melanoidin for the specialty malts. While we still finish, late hop, and dry hop with Citra, we have experimented with Warrior, Amarillio, and Centennial for bittering and late hop additions. This beer is still about the Citra. We have NEVER or never will dumb down the IBUs or hop profile (IBUs 70). If anything, we have focused revisions on thickening the body.

I promise we would never market it as a SMASH beer but its history is indeed rooted in the concept. Long winded but I hope that helps.

P.S. we are still working feverishly with the LCBO to get it on the shelves.

Yours in brewing,
Space Ace Frehley

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

peterchiodo wrote: P.S. we are still working feverishly with the LCBO to get it on the shelves.

Yours in brewing,
Space Ace Frehley
Good to hear. My supply of Hopslam and Double Trouble is almost gone ...

heebes

Post by heebes »

Same here Marcus, and I agree ths would make a great substitute.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

JerCraigs wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote: I'm always amused by the "Smash is a brewing acronym" defense for a beer that is not a single hop beer.
It started out as one.
Fair enough. My comment was based on Peter's thread that has a dual hop profile for the beer: http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

The only argument that should matter though is simply the market wants this beer.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
peterchiodo wrote: P.S. we are still working feverishly with the LCBO to get it on the shelves.

Yours in brewing,
Space Ace Frehley
Good to hear. My supply of Hopslam and Double Trouble is almost gone ...
I love Hopslam...can't understand why Bell's randomly drug tests their brewers. Seems oxymoronic....