Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

hidk wrote:
IPASlav wrote:in case you didn't know, there's some fresh smashbomb at lcbo...I still have some from my last buy so didn't pick any up, but the bottle date is July 26!
This new batch of Smashbomb is like night and day compared to that initial batch. It now does the name and label justice and then some. Thank you FM Brewery for making an IPA that Ontario...No, Canada can be proud of!!! Right up there with the best of the best!
I concur. Picked up a single bottle yesterday to compare with the remaining bottles I have from the first batch. Im drinking it now and its a huge difference.

MasterChiefP

Post by MasterChiefP »

For you London people the Oxford Street East LCBO just got a bunch of Smashbomb with a bottle date of July 26th. I picked up two six packs today and they seemed to have several cases of the stuff left.

For whatever reason this store in London seems to always stock Flying Monkeys more than any of the other stores. I can always count on getting Netherworld here too!

Cheers,
Paul

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Had my first ever Smash Bomb last night and it met all my expectations from reading on here. Awesome beer. So happy there is something like this closer than the American border.

Smash bomb and Mad Tom are my new two favourite ONTARIO IPA's. I don't believe I just said that.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

They are fantastic beers, I bought some Smashbomb, Mad Tom, and Red Racer yesterday, loving them.

Having a bunch of work friends over tomorrow, going to try and get them turned onto these beers.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

Bought 4 of them from Mavis and Dundas, LOL. I feel like a dick but god damn, this stuff isn't meeting the supply and demand.

I had one of the older batches at my friends place, it was meh. Had one of these newer ones, good lord, so much better. Easily top 3 IPA's, and I've had a lot of them.

heebes

Post by heebes »

had a single from the new batch; the nose is brighter, better hop presence. noticeable improvement but it just comes down to being fresher - nothing to get worked up about. still dont feel like the first time i tryed it on draft, so much resin pine then.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

heebes wrote:had a single from the new batch; the nose is brighter, better hop presence. noticeable improvement but it just comes down to being fresher - nothing to get worked up about..
Wanted a single, the Queen-Coxwell store got all 'we don't sell this as a single' (tey they keep leaving singles out on the shelf.)

Mad Tom is like a Godsend to me, the only thing I'd buy regularly here.

* update *

Fresh six, very good flavor, not sure yet crazy about aroma personally. Very drinkable stuff and recc a try.
In Beerum Veritas

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Well after trying smashbomb and central city side by side. I have to re say that freshness is key to a nice ipa. The aromatics in smashbomb cannot be compared to red racer. The freshness dates are different by about 2 months and it shows. Smashbomb and Netherworld are 2 wonderful additions to this beer scene. I look forward to continueing my support of this great brewery.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

FWIW When I grabbed my handful of Supercolider there was maybe a case of Smashbomb left at the brewery. Not much Netherworld or Hoptical left either. If this is an indication of how well these beers are doing my hats are off to FM.

The Smashbomb has been a regular in my fridge since July. Can;t wait to try SuperCollider tomorrow after work.

Lamber

Post by Lamber »

I was at the brewery today and picked up some Super-Collider. Wasn't much left on the shelf and was told it was selling like crazy.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

There is Smashbomb date stamped July 26 at Queen's Quay right now.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Had this again side by side with a smashbomb. Smashbomb truly is the best ipa in ontario ever. Puts anything else to shame. Loving it.

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

phat matt wrote:Had this again side by side with a smashbomb. Smashbomb truly is the best ipa in ontario ever. Puts anything else to shame. Loving it.
Be better if they didn't lower it to 6%. kinda weak, good taste though. This thing needs it 7% back imo.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Brewbert wrote:
phat matt wrote:Had this again side by side with a smashbomb. Smashbomb truly is the best ipa in ontario ever. Puts anything else to shame. Loving it.
Be better if they didn't lower it to 6%. kinda weak, good taste though. This thing needs it 7% back imo.
Yeah, we see your point (we lowered it after the very first batch because at the time we thought 7% might be over the top for the LCBO--we were wrong). The good news is that it left room for a DIPA. I hope you enjoy it anyways....

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Thanks Matt!