Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SexyM_love

Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA

Post by SexyM_love »

So, I'm curious if anyone knows when the Flying Monkey's Smashbomb IPA will be released to LCBO. I love IPA's in general and I have been dying to buy Smashbomb IPA in stores since I tried it at bar volo's IPA event. So if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.
Sexy Em

- "Experience Can Not Be Taught"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

Smashbomb is back on the front burner.

FYI - We got side-tracked working on Divinity. It is an Imperial Baltic Porter that has a few other tricks in it. It was brewed late in 2010 and is a vintage in the purest sense of the word. What can I say about a beer that endured a forty-one (41) hour boil (we usually boil 60 - 90 minutes).

Cheers,
Peter

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

peterchiodo wrote:
Smashbomb is back on the front burner.

FYI - We got side-tracked working on Divinity. It is an Imperial Baltic Porter that has a few other tricks in it. It was brewed late in 2010 and is a vintage in the purest sense of the word. What can I say about a beer that endured a forty-one (41) hour boil (we usually boil 60 - 90 minutes).

Cheers,
Peter
Peter, is that some sort of boil record!?!?!

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

mistermurphy wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:
Cheers,Peter
Hmmmm.....I think it might be. The boil lasted three days. I've checked with a few brewers and they've looked at me a little puzzled. No one has come close to it although I heard Brewdog once boiled for 17 hours.

What was the purpose? A little texture, a little evaporation (without the use of corn sugar or malt extract), and really just testing boundaries. Needless to say the three of us who brewed Divinity are looking forward to the rewards of experiment (if it works). We won't know the final abv until the LCBO lab resluts (we are not shooting for any record).

The plan is to release 75 cases this year, 75 cases in 2012, and 50 cases in 2013. It will be live beer ready for aging in the cellar,
The kegs have already been allocated and presold which is kinda cool.

Peace

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Sounds incredible!

The only one I know of that's even close was the accidental 37hr Simcoe SMASH:
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.com/2009 ... l-ipa.html

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

LEAFS
Losers Even After Forty Seasons
Last edited by SteelbackGuy on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

peterchiodo wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:
peterchiodo wrote: FYI - We got side-tracked working on Divinity. It is an Imperial Baltic Porter that has a few other tricks in it. It was brewed late in 2010 and is a vintage in the purest sense of the word. What can I say about a beer that endured a forty-one (41) hour boil (we usually boil 60 - 90 minutes).
Cheers,Peter
Hmmmm.....I think it might be. The boil lasted three days. I've checked with a few brewers and they've looked at me a little puzzled. No one has come close to it although I heard Brewdog once boiled for 17 hours.

What was the purpose? A little texture, a little evaporation (without the use of corn sugar or malt extract), and really just testing boundaries. Needless to say the three of us who brewed Divinity are looking forward to the rewards of experiment (if it works). We won't know the final abv until the LCBO lab resluts (we are not shooting for any record).

The plan is to release 75 cases this year, 75 cases in 2012, and 50 cases in 2013. It will be live beer ready for aging in the cellar,

Peace
Sounds amazing! I hope I can get my hands on some of this!

heebes

Post by heebes »

So this will be in bottles as well?

Very glad to hear Smashbomb is back on the front burner.

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

heebes wrote:So this will be in bottles as well?
Correct, 355mL bottles.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Great news Peter! I also have to say Netherworld is top-notch and was so glad to get a couple sixers here in St. Catharines.

SexyM_love

Post by SexyM_love »

peterchiodo wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:
peterchiodo wrote: FYI - We got side-tracked working on Divinity. It is an Imperial Baltic Porter that has a few other tricks in it. It was brewed late in 2010 and is a vintage in the purest sense of the word. What can I say about a beer that endured a forty-one (41) hour boil (we usually boil 60 - 90 minutes).
Cheers,Peter

Peace
Thanks so much Peter. I am so thrilled to actually be able to talk to someone from the actual brewery. I absolutely love the Flying Monkey's brewery. I was so ecstatic when Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale was released to bottles. Im glad to hear that Smashbomb is back on the front burner. As for the Divinity... well I dont know what to even say... except that I cant wait to try it. I cant wait to come to the Toronto Beer Fest this year and actually see your booth. I have heard so many great things about it.

Cheers!
Sexy Em

- "Experience Can Not Be Taught"

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

peterchiodo wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:
Cheers,Peter

Peace
You might have to setup a lottery for those cases Peter, or is the regular bribe good enough ;)
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

icemachine wrote:
peterchiodo wrote:
mistermurphy wrote: Peter, is that some sort of boil record!?!?!

Peace
You might have to setup a lottery for those cases Peter, or is the regular bribe good enough ;)
Hey Peter/IceMachine...we'll see how it goes, but as you know 'towellers will hear about it first when it is almost ready to be released. You're a shoe-in for some. FYI - we flew in and brewed with some Dark Belgian Candi and ran Tahitian and Madagascan vanilla beans through the hoppapotamus for some high-density flavour. There are also other little surprises in this 41 hour brew!

Peter Monkey

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Peter - I assume this will be a brewery only release? Might be time for a trip to Barrie :)