Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okocim Pilsner

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Okocim Pilsner

Post by matt7215 »

product # 00200089

has it been around for a while or is it new?

doesnt seem like anyone has rated it on RB, not eventhe hardcore tickers like I

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I love when these things sneak their way into the system. Lagers from countries that barely have functioning economies are awesome :D .

Actually I've always enjoyed everything Okocim. That and Tyskie are my favourite Polish beers.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Poland's GDP per capita is 65th in the world. Not great, but certainly well above non functioning. :D

Best beer I've had from Poland...Okocim Porter.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah the Baltic Porter!

I remember 10+ years ago there was Okocim Pils, which was VERY tasty... then Okocim Porter, then the Export (crap) and the Strong (also not great.) I think the original Pils got phased out, though it was the only thing they ever had that competed with Czech pilsners.

So I'll check it out, thanks!
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Thanks for the post Mattholemew. Will check it out brother!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

BooBoo wrote:Poland's GDP per capita is 65th in the world. Not great, but certainly well above non functioning. :D

Cool, thanks for the info. I just like to make fun of eastern Europe in an endearing kind of way since it's actually an area of special interest to me (I'm a history student). I genuinly enjoy Polish beer too, just to clarify. 8)

TJ

Post by TJ »

I have zero interest in trying this. If anyone cares. But do please post if it's any good.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

TJ wrote:I have zero interest in trying this. If anyone cares. But do please post if it's any good.
its not that good

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

JesseM wrote:I love when these things sneak their way into the system. Lagers from countries that barely have functioning economies are awesome :D .

Actually I've always enjoyed everything Okocim. That and Tyskie are my favourite Polish beers.
Ok, I dislike Polish beers but being Polish I have to rebut your bordeline offensive comment about the Polish economy:

" The Economy of Poland is a high income economy and is the sixth largest in the EU and one of the fastest growing economies in Europe, with an yearly growth rate of over 6.0%"

"It is the only member country of the European Union to have avoided a decline in GDP, meaning that in 2009 Poland has created the most GDP growth in the EU"

Source: wiki

On the subject of beers: Poland produces a vast number of beers, none of them terribly original or great imo. Part of the problem is that most of the large Polish breweries are owned by big multinational conglomerates like Carlsberg, Heineken etc. Vodkas (like Chopin, Belvedere etc.) are an entirely different story though........
Last edited by Lukie on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

TJ wrote:I have zero interest in trying this. If anyone cares. But do please post if it's any good.

It's one of these things you gulp down when you're hard at work and thirsty. It's passable when its "ice cold" and it has a strong kick. It's on par with Heineken et al.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

BooBoo wrote:Poland's GDP per capita is 65th in the world. Not great, but certainly well above non functioning. :D

Its total GDP is 19th though. 5 spots behind Canada's total GDP.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:Yeah the Baltic Porter!

I remember 10+ years ago there was Okocim Pils, which was VERY tasty... then Okocim Porter, then the Export (crap) and the Strong (also not great.) I think the original Pils got phased out, though it was the only thing they ever had that competed with Czech pilsners.

So I'll check it out, thanks!

I agree. Both the Porter and the Pils are the best beers to come out of Poland. However, I know absolutly nothing about Poland's microbreweries or whether they even exist, in any significant way. It would be nice to find out.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lukie wrote:
JesseM wrote:I love when these things sneak their way into the system. Lagers from countries that barely have functioning economies are awesome :D .

Ok, I dislike Polish beers but being Polish I have to rebut your bordeline offensive comment about the Polish economy:

I'd say he was likely exaggerating given the smiley and his vast knowledge of Eastern EU. The comments were hardly even borderline offensive.
And, are you not Canadian? :wink:
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Lukie wrote:

I'd say he was likely exaggerating given the smiley and his vast knowledge of Eastern EU. The comments were hardly even borderline offensive.
And, are you not Canadian? :wink:
Len nailed it. Sorry to offend, but the post was very light-heartedly intended. I have a lot of respect and interest in Eastern Europe, Poland included.

Bonesey

Post by Bonesey »

If only the BO would get this from Poland:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/apis-polto ... iga/24026/

Had it in Lublin this summer. Truly, nectar of the gods.
"Put another brick in my hookah, Chow Ming, and fetch me fresh silks, I've soiled myself again."
--Franklin Pierce, April 6, 1856