Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TJ

Post by TJ »

GregClow wrote:210054 / Hitachino Nest White Ale / KIUCHI BREWERY / 5.0 / 330 / $3.75
Anyone?

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

TJ wrote:
GregClow wrote:210054 / Hitachino Nest White Ale / KIUCHI BREWERY / 5.0 / 330 / $3.75
Anyone?
I read somewhere it came out of bond. Not sure why it is still not listed.

walkfargetbeer

Post by walkfargetbeer »

Drinking some Panil right now. Fantastic brew, the sour taste is amazing.

They had something like 30 bottles in Uptown Waterloo when I bought it today.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Josh Rubin just tweeted that Cuvee Rene will be part of the Summer release.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Paul at the Buddha

Post by Paul at the Buddha »

After weeks of trying to get some of these up to Sudbury... finally got 6 cases of the Curmudgeon... there are stories of more cases of the imports in bond but I think that I'm just hoping to have better luck with the Summer releases. C'mon LCBO... there's a little restaurant in Sudbury trying to stock all of your interesting beers... help us out! Gas is $1.30 a litre up here... I can't keep on driving to Southern Ontario to snipe all of the good releases...

Thanks Grand River for your usual tasty brews.
Paul is the purchaser for the Laughing Buddha and Townehouse Tavern in Sudbury. A great combination of live independent music, good food and interesting beers. 2 bars, 440 seats, 15 taps, 120 bottles, 40 Whiskies and the best patio around.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TJ wrote:
Anyone?
Yes, they do nice things using spices & herbs in their beers. I was not crazy about a 'soured' bottle I tried from Premier Gourmet and assume this will be a chance to try a fresh one.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
TJ wrote:
Anyone?
Yes, they do nice things using spices & herbs in their beers. I was not crazy about a 'soured' bottle I tried from Premier Gourmet and assume this will be a chance to try a fresh one.
They do make some decent beers. The Classic is a tasty cedar-aged IPA, and their newest beer (Nipponia) is available at Premier - it has a big Sorachi character married to a nice Belgian pale base.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Can Japanese White beers even make it here and still be considered "fresh". I've never tasted anything that tasted fresh from them.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Belgian wrote:
TJ wrote:
Anyone?
Cool. I just meant did anyone know if it's ever going to show up. I enjoyed a few (rather pricey) bottles at O Ya in Boston a while back and would definitely pick some up if it shows up.
Last edited by TJ on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

TJ wrote:
Belgian wrote:
TJ wrote: Anyone?
Cool. I just meant did anyone know if it's ever going to show up. I enjoyed a few (rather pricey) bottles at O Ya in Boston a while back and would definitely pick some up more if it showed up.
Yes, it will show up. The final pricing was confirmed late this afternoon and the store release is imminent.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

iguenard wrote:Can Japanese White beers even make it here and still be considered "fresh". I've never tasted anything that tasted fresh from them.
I believe the radiation gives them extended half life...I mean shelf life.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote:Can Japanese White beers even make it here and still be considered "fresh". I've never tasted anything that tasted fresh from them.
Weird. I thought the Ginger * previously at LCBO was very much a live, tasty ale. Wasn't it also a wheat base? I'll comment on White when I can compare the new shipment! :)

If nothing else, the LC should get us some imports fresher than we'd get from USA stores. I mean we rely on them for German wheat ales. International shipping can be (paradoxically) more efficient than overland Can/USA, AFAIK.

* Here's myrate / re-rate of the Ginger (Premier Gourmet tiredness VS Ontario fresh.)
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Hitachino Nest White finally showed up at St Lawrence Market store today. LCBO website doesn't list it yet though.

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Hitachino Nest White - I'll jump on the conversation bandwagon here.

After trying the Ginger beer the LCBO had in the fall or whenever it was, I wasent expecting much from their wheat beer... Boy was I suprised at how great this beer is!

Everyone should try this. its shockingly good!