Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nørrebro Bryghus brewery feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Post by heebes »

dont expect an American style hop-bomb or you will be dissapointed.

TJ

Post by TJ »

IPA_Lover wrote:Expecting a great IPA here with the hype
What hype?

I actually really enjoyed the Bombay Pale Ale, a heck of a lot more than I was expecting to to the point where if it was a little cheaper I might have grabbed it again. But it's not one I would have likely picked up if I lived somewhere where I had choice, and I'd say it's possibly the least hype-worthy of the beers in the feature. It's the only one I've tried though. I'm just more excited about the others.

Sadly English IPAs seem to inevitably leave people disappointed, myself included, because I think deep down many of us go in foolishly expecting an American style hop monster. Get past that and you'll probably enjoy this beer.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TJ wrote:
IPA_Lover wrote:Expecting a great IPA here with the hype
What hype?

I actually really enjoyed the Bombay Pale Ale, a heck of a lot more than I was expecting to to the point where if it was a little cheaper I might have grabbed it again. But it's not one I would have likely picked up if I lived somewhere where I had choice, and I'd say it's possibly the least hype-worthy of the beers in the feature. It's the only one I've tried though. I'm just more excited about the others.

Sadly English IPAs seem to inevitably leave people disappointed, myself included, because I think deep down many of us go in foolishly expecting an American style hop monster. Get past that and you'll probably enjoy this beer.
I enjoyed it for what it is, a superb IPA in the original style. If it weren't for the high pricing I'd probably pick up more bottles, but its definitely something that I will try and brew a clone of.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote: If it weren't for the high pricing I'd probably pick up more bottles, but its definitely something that I will try and brew a clone of.
I guess the 'volume equivalent cost' would be just four bucks per a 330ml bottle. All we're dealing with here is the sticker shock.

Of course Denmark is a very expensive prosperous country so I'd expect any good beer from there to carry a small hit.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Just picked up a couple of bottles of the La Granja and a bottle of the Barleywine. Those were the only two that my local LCBO store had...

TJ

Post by TJ »

Belgian wrote:I guess the 'volume equivalent cost' would be just four bucks per a 330ml bottle. All we're dealing with here is the sticker shock.
Actually when you put it that way it makes it worse. Because a sixer would be $24. Ouch.

(It's a good beer, though. Just so we're clear.)

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Whats up with the vartripel? I work for the LCBO and in our system it shows little to nothing around anywhere. Just wondering if anybody can shed some light on this. This is the one I have been the most excited about trying.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Wow, that barleywine is uber pricey. Anyone tried it? If so, worth the money?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Here's hoping the Barley Wine appears at a tasting in the near future.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TJ wrote: Actually when you put it that way it makes it worse. Because a sixer (of Bombay Pale) would be $24. Ouch.
Still less than some fancy Ontario beers (Lake of Bays, Muskoka., GL Project X). DDC is not way, way cheaper. Just a little perspective.
SteelbackGuy wrote:Wow, that barleywine is uber pricey. Anyone tried it? If so, worth the money?
Don't know yet - am curious too - and then again is Ola Dubh 40 worth 18.95 a 330 ml? Not defending prices, just making a comparison. Pretty high ratings on Little Korkny and I'm glad one of the very top few Nørrebro made the selection! If we just got 'safe' choices we'd all wonder what's the point.

Can't wait to try it!
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

sprague11 wrote:Here's hoping the Barley Wine appears at a tasting in the near future.
:lol:

wilco

Post by wilco »

Yeah, the tripel is completely out in most places - the nine currently showing at Davisville were all gone when I got there. Who knows if there will suddenly be hundreds of unsold bottles or if this was a very limited beer.

I find it annoying that it is hard to tell how large or small these releases are. Didn't rush out to buy the La Chouffe in December because I figured there would lots, then suddenly it was all gone. I don't need to try every beer (though I'd like to), but it encourages mass hysteria about beer releases. At least it should encourage the LCBO to keep up with these releases and bring in pricier beers. A little more organization (a specific release date when the bottles appear on shelves) would be nice though.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

wilco wrote:Yeah, the tripel is completely out in most places - the nine currently showing at Davisville were all gone when I got there. Who knows if there will suddenly be hundreds of unsold bottles or if this was a very limited beer.

I find it annoying that it is hard to tell how large or small these releases are. Didn't rush out to buy the La Chouffe in December because I figured there would lots, then suddenly it was all gone. I don't need to try every beer (though I'd like to), but it encourages mass hysteria about beer releases. At least it should encourage the LCBO to keep up with these releases and bring in pricier beers. A little more organization (a specific release date when the bottles appear on shelves) would be nice though.
Couldn't agree more re: the tripel. I would love to try this one but has not even shown up at either of the 2 Mississauga locations that are carrying the others in this release and from the looks of it, only a handfull of cases have even seen the light of day. It makes me wonder if the LCBO put them out as test cases and they have more sitting back there that will only be released based on sales of these ones. If not, maybe they can return them to the brewery for a refund?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I think the LCBO overall must have gotten less of the Var Tripel for whatever reason. I would guess my local got 4/5 cases each of the Julebryg and Bombay, 3 of the La Granja, 2 of the Little Korkny and only 1 of the Var Tripel

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

wilco wrote:Yeah, the tripel is completely out in most places - the nine currently showing at Davisville were all gone when I got there. Who knows if there will suddenly be hundreds of unsold bottles or if this was a very limited beer.

So, I figured out a few things. All of the Vartripel that is in stores now is all that is going to be there. I managed to get a case (9 bottles) shipped to Yonge and Eglinton from Markham and they should be there Monday. Of those 9 bottles 4 are spoken for, 1 for me and 3 for other people. That will leave 5 for anyone else interested. That is all that will be available in Toronto. The 9 at Davisville dont exist same with Laird and Eglinton. If anyone wants me to hold one for them let me know.

With regards to La Chouffe, not much made it into Toronto. There are still lots available in obscure parts of Ontario.