Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Beaver River IPEh? LCBO Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I'm glad I read all this... was planning on picking up a case based on a lot of previous talk... but I don't think I'll be getting any now.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JesseMcG wrote:I'm glad I read all this... was planning on picking up a case based on a lot of previous talk... but I don't think I'll be getting any now.
It's worth picking up a bottle or two to try it out and see if you like it. BooBoo thinks it's the best Ontario IPA he's had, so there you go, different strokes. Me? I'm saving my pennies for Smashbomb (if it ever sees the fluorescent light of day) and Canuck.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Haven't tried this year's yet, but I've been a huge fan of this beer. Not a super hoppy american IPA by any stretch, but a very tasty, moderately balanced, hoppy pale ale. Hope I can get a bottle or two of this year's before it disappears for the summer.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

velovampire wrote:
JesseMcG wrote:I'm glad I read all this... was planning on picking up a case based on a lot of previous talk... but I don't think I'll be getting any now.
It's worth picking up a bottle or two to try it out and see if you like it. BooBoo thinks it's the best Ontario IPA he's had, so there you go, different strokes. Me? I'm saving my pennies for Smashbomb (if it ever sees the fluorescent light of day) and Canuck.
Yeah good point, I'll probably give it a shot. I'm anxiously awaiting Smashbomb too.... can we expect Canuck soon?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JesseMcG wrote:
velovampire wrote:
Yeah good point, I'll probably give it a shot. I'm anxiously awaiting Smashbomb too.... can we expect Canuck soon?
Forget the Canuck, when can we expect Miami Weisse?????

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

JesseMcG wrote:
velovampire wrote:
According to GLB, Canuck (and Red Leaf in the new canned format) will be out before the end of April. Haven't heard much more on the Miami Weiss front, other than it's supposed to be out anytime between May-July. Lackey or JB might further clarify this one...

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

notdan wrote:Not a super hoppy american IPA by any stretch, but a very tasty, moderately balanced, hoppy pale ale.
That's the beer that I had. Made me think of Liberty Ale, but super fresh and with different hops--a not-quite-IPA-not-your-typical-pale type of beer. I'm surprised at the negative reaction; usually it's me that's underwhelmed by Ontario beer. I liked it. I wouldn't necessarily buy a case, but I'll enjoy the few bottles that I bought.
Here's to the slow path.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Definitely a beer worth trying.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Wheatsheaf wrote:
notdan wrote:Not a super hoppy american IPA by any stretch, but a very tasty, moderately balanced, hoppy pale ale.
That's the beer that I had.
That’s the beer I had too. Last year and the year before that. An incredibly drinkable beer, maybe somewhere between an American Pale Ale and an American IPA—a hoppy ale with pine, citrus, caramel, etc.

This year, however after four bottles of this stuff, as has been mentioned before, I’d swear they just bottled Dead Elephant and/or Duggan’s #9. Neither Dead Elephant or Duggan’s are in my opinion American IPAs, at least not the kind I like to drink. They’re not bad. Just not my preference.

I don’t mean this as a complaint necessarily. I’m just disappointed and curious as to what exactly changed and why.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Wheatsheaf wrote:I don’t mean this as a complaint necessarily. I’m just disappointed and curious as to what exactly changed and why.
Pure speculation, but maybe it's due to increased demand? I honestly believe the Lugtread has suffered significantly over the past few years from increased out-put. Maybe Beau's takes short cuts to increase production and meet demand? I know of at least one major member of the Ontario beer geek community who would probably be inclined to agree...

For the record I like Beau's and support their products.

aser

Post by aser »

Didn't do anything for me.

Excellent aroma, a lacing of banana peel, very inviting. Too bad the taste was....missing. Not asking for a hop bomb but it was just lacking in taste of anything inviting. The finish seems to just disappear, nothing lingering on the tongue.

I don't hate it, I'll drink it, probably won't buy again until next year.

Queef

Post by Queef »

it's darker and maltier this year. not a bad thing, but not as good as the previous years. Darker base malt? munich maybe?

still good, better in the growler I had from the brewery than the bottles I got at the LCBO, but the dates on them suggested they had sat for a week or two, maybe not a good thing either?
it's beer o'clock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Brewers: when making IPA or Pale Ale style beers is 'repeatability' of a fantastic batch a difficult thing to achieve?

I am amazed some brewers seem to hit on a really good hoppy ale, and they just as quickly seem to 'lose' it. (DPA). Why is this?
In Beerum Veritas

jcc

Post by jcc »

Had this tonight at Grapefruit Moon here in Toronto and I must say I thought it was a fine beer. Was on tap (for a small neighbourhood restaurant, they have a great OCB lineup), so don't know if that would affect anything, but I did think that it was a very flavourful and enjoyable pint. I will pick up a bottle or two to see if there is a difference between kegged and bottled versions. Regardless, I enjoyed this beer and will try it again.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

My wife brought me back some from the brewery yesterday. 12 x 600ml bottles and one growler. I had a couple last night and was quite impressed, as I usually am with Beau's beers.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway