Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buying single bottles

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

emjay

Buying single bottles

Post by emjay »

Did anything happen to the rule obligating the LCBO to let people buy just a single from a 6 pack? If it's still supposed to be allowed, what's the best way to make a complaint?

An LCBO manager just raged on me for trying to do so, as if I was a thief or something. I told him I've been allowed to do it at every other LCBO I've been to, citing the LCBO's mandate for social responsibility, blah blah blah.

He countered with the fact that I "ruined the seal" on the Scotch Irish box, so that people would no longer know if their product was tampered with. I pointed to a bottle of Aventinus I had, and asked where the tamper-proof seal on that one was - he pointed to the cap! So apparently Scotch Irish doesn't cap their bottles!

Then he said if he let that happen, people would be breaking up all sorts of packs left and right, and that would be bad for business. Sure, I could see his point, except for the fact that the LCBO is supposed to operate with a mandate to serve the public in a responsible manner - not a private business.

Now, if I'm wrong here, I'll gladly eat crow as I only had good intentions anyways, but even if I'm wrong, I didn't deserve the treatment I got. If I'm right though, and you ARE still allowed to break up packs and take singles, I want to take this issue up with whoever is in a position to ream the guy a new one, and in order to do that I need to know the most appropriate person/office to contact. In case it matters, it took place in a Markham store.

By the way, I'm not looking to get anybody fired, I just don't want people in the future treated like scum for doing something they're entirely allowed to do. And an apology wouldn't hurt, but rather than something in writing, I'd much rather have the guy break open a pack of Sgt. Major and ring me up a single bottle :) Assuming I'm in the right, of course.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

As I understand, 6 Packs with open tops are allowed to be broken up, those with closed tops are not. Open 6 packs or single bottles have pry off caps or tamper proof strips. Twist top bottles are not considered tamper proof without the strip over them, which is probably what the LCBO employee was trying to communicate
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

If the 6-pack is one with a visible open concept, like MGD, Corona, etc, then yes, you may break it apart.

If it is a SEALED 6 pack, a la Steamwhistle, Scotch Irish, etc, then you may not break it open. There are many reasons for this, but the main on being that people will often open those, take a beer, and reclose the pack....leaving the next customer with a 5 pack, which they don't realize until they get home. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, believe me.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

emjay wrote:Did anything happen to the rule obligating the LCBO to let people buy just a single from a 6 pack? If it's still supposed to be allowed, what's the best way to make a complaint?

An LCBO manager just raged on me for trying to do so, as if I was a thief or something. I told him I've been allowed to do it at every other LCBO I've been to, citing the LCBO's mandate for social responsibility, blah blah blah.

He countered with the fact that I "ruined the seal" on the Scotch Irish box, so that people would no longer know if their product was tampered with. I pointed to a bottle of Aventinus I had, and asked where the tamper-proof seal on that one was - he pointed to the cap! So apparently Scotch Irish doesn't cap their bottles!

Then he said if he let that happen, people would be breaking up all sorts of packs left and right, and that would be bad for business. Sure, I could see his point, except for the fact that the LCBO is supposed to operate with a mandate to serve the public in a responsible manner - not a private business.

Now, if I'm wrong here, I'll gladly eat crow as I only had good intentions anyways, but even if I'm wrong, I didn't deserve the treatment I got. If I'm right though, and you ARE still allowed to break up packs and take singles, I want to take this issue up with whoever is in a position to ream the guy a new one, and in order to do that I need to know the most appropriate person/office to contact. In case it matters, it took place in a Markham store.

By the way, I'm not looking to get anybody fired, I just don't want people in the future treated like scum for doing something they're entirely allowed to do. And an apology wouldn't hurt, but rather than something in writing, I'd much rather have the guy break open a pack of Sgt. Major and ring me up a single bottle :) Assuming I'm in the right, of course.
as much as i want to be on your side you actually cant do this.

you can only take singles from "open top" packaging so breaking into the Sgt. Majors closed 6pack is against lcbo policy.

sorry

emjay

Post by emjay »

Ah okay, gotcha. The guy didn't indicate this all and made it sound like it was never okay.

I understand about picking up a sixer which has a beer taken out but not realizing it until later. I actually made sure to leave it wide open and obvious to any unsuspecting customer... I wasn't deceptive in the least about it. I'm still a bit worked up over how I was treated, especially when I even told the guy I wasn't going to argue for a single bottle. Now that the pack is open though... I wonder what they're going to do with it. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow :D

If this is the case though, I'd think Ontario brewers would make a point of using the open sixers... I may never have become so hooked on Flying Monkeys if I hadn't been able to grab just a few bottles.

Thanks for setting me straight though guys!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

emjay wrote:Ah okay, gotcha. The guy didn't indicate this all and made it sound like it was never okay.

I understand about picking up a sixer which has a beer taken out but not realizing it until later. I actually made sure to leave it wide open and obvious to any unsuspecting customer... I wasn't deceptive in the least about it. I'm still a bit worked up over how I was treated, especially when I even told the guy I wasn't going to argue for a single bottle. Now that the pack is open though... I wonder what they're going to do with it. Maybe I'll swing by tomorrow :D

If this is the case though, I'd think Ontario brewers would make a point of using the open sixers... I may never have become so hooked on Flying Monkeys if I hadn't been able to grab just a few bottles.

Thanks for setting me straight though guys!
Aside from the bottle thing, you should call our infoline if you got bad service.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have gotten grief for this over the years, and whatever the official policy is, in practice it depends entirely on the employee you are dealing with. As I think I have said before - Either I am allowed to do it, and you should stop yelling at me. Or I am not allowed, and you shouldn't sell it to me. Don't yell at me while selling me the bottle! :roll:

Good to know that you are allowed to split up the open six packs and not the closed ones.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I've had a couple interesting experiences with this.

A couple years ago while visiting Ottawa, (when they still had the cardboard boxes for your own mix-match 8's), I grabbed a couple bottles from open-top boxes and stuck them in. The guy at the counter politely told me something to the effect of "sorry, the singles aren't in the system" and I of course just said "Oh well".

A couple weeks ago in London (Masonville), there were singles of McAuslan Stout on the regular shelf and on the shelf where they leave singles. I hadn't had one in a long time so I grabbed one. The woman at the check out grumbled something like "Oh, you took that out of a box, didn't you?" and I just said "Nope, they're out on the shelf". So yeah she griped at me while selling it to me. :roll:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ErkLR wrote:I've had a couple interesting experiences with this.

A couple years ago while visiting Ottawa, (when they still had the cardboard boxes for your own mix-match 8's), I grabbed a couple bottles from open-top boxes and stuck them in. The guy at the counter politely told me something to the effect of "sorry, the singles aren't in the system" and I of course just said "Oh well".

A couple weeks ago in London (Masonville), there were singles of McAuslan Stout on the regular shelf and on the shelf where they leave singles. I hadn't had one in a long time so I grabbed one. The woman at the check out grumbled something like "Oh, you took that out of a box, didn't you?" and I just said "Nope, they're out on the shelf". So yeah she griped at me while selling it to me. :roll:

Just tell her to shut the f up and know her role. Why would youeven shop at that Elitest LCBO? It is all rich people out there.

The only customers I give a hard time to is most of them since I love them all so much. Especially the annoying ones. And there aren't ANY of those. Ever. Seriously. They make my day.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Just tell her to shut the f up and know her role...
This strategy works really well in the 21st Century :lol: .

I've bought singles from closed-sixers before. You just have to be super-stealthy about it. I find that looking really impatient at the cash generally works well in making the employee just give in.

I've never been questioned about singles from closed sixers before. I have actually been questioned about singles from open-pack sixers which kind of blew my mind. It helps that I have a pretty good report with a lot of the employee's at my most-frequented Lickbows.

"There's that darn kid again, better give him what he wants, or who knows what he'll do..."

emjay

Post by emjay »

JesseM wrote:

I've bought singles from closed-sixers before. You just have to be super-stealthy about it. I find that looking really impatient at the cash generally works well in making the employee just give in.

I've never been questioned about singles from closed sixers before. I have actually been questioned about singles from open-pack sixers which kind of blew my mind. It helps that I have a pretty good report with a lot of the employee's at my most-frequented Lickbows.

"There's that darn kid again, better give him what he wants, or who knows what he'll do..."
Never had an issue either, which is why it's complete news to me. You'd think the fact that it was in a basket with about a dozen legit singles, and one grabbed from a Paulaner hefe sixers, would have allowed the Scotch Irish bottle to slip through. The issue that got me mailed wax the complete lack of barcode on the Scotch Irish bottle, and the fact the cashier was new and couldn't deal with the hiccup! He even initially charged me for a full sixer of the Paulaner until I pointed it out...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

emjay wrote:
JesseM wrote:

Never had an issue either, which is why it's complete news to me. You'd think the fact that it was in a basket with about a dozen legit singles, and one grabbed from a Paulaner hefe sixers, would have allowed the Scotch Irish bottle to slip through. The issue that got me mailed wax the complete lack of barcode on the Scotch Irish bottle, and the fact the cashier was new and couldn't deal with the hiccup! He even initially charged me for a full sixer of the Paulaner until I pointed it out...

See, you gotta watch that. This is another problem with splitting six packs. When you ring in the bottle, it rings in the entire pack. SOmeone new, or someone that might work once a week on weekends, probably won't know which beers come as singles, so on and so forth.
It is always best to say ahead of time.....

"Hey, by the way, these bottles here were in the singles bin".

Cashier will really appreciate it. Seriously. A bit of common sense goes a long way, and a cashier that is serving his or her 600th customer for the day might appreciate small gestures like that. While you're at it, have your air miles card out and payment method ready too. Just saying....we can all help eachother out!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

There are generic PLU's for domestic, import, premium, etc.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

emjay wrote:
JesseM wrote:

So wait - you said the Scotch Irish bottles were in the singles bin anyways?

The manager gave you shit for grabbing a bottle of beer from the singles bin?

Did you get his name? I would call and complain if I were you.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:

There are generic PLU's for SOME domestic, import, premium, etc.

Fixed that for you.