Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB Discovery Pack #8 - Spring 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

OCB Discovery Pack #8 - Spring 2011

Post by GregClow »

This month's Wellington Newsreal email newsletter includes details on the next OCB Discovery Pack:

"Fresh for Spring 2011, the Ontario Craft Brewers are set to release the 8th edition of the popular Discovery Pack. The mixed 6 pack includes our Wellington S.P.A. as well as Flying Monkey's Hopitcal Illusion, Cameron's Cream Ale, Black Oak's Pale Ale, F&M's StoneHammer Pilsner, and King Brewery's Pilsner. The pack will be available at select LCBO locations in late March."

A decent selection of easy-going beers for the warming weather, IMO.

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

From top to bottom this strikes me as the most consistent OCB pack I can recall. All of those beers are very drinkable and none of them are even close to being a drain pour.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Wellington S.P.A. as well as Flying Monkey's Hopitcal Illusion, Cameron's Cream Ale, Black Oak's Pale Ale, F&M's StoneHammer Pilsner, and King Brewery's Pilsner.
I'd say the first three are OK, the last three are regulars with me. I'll pick it up to give the Hoptical and Cameron's another chance without having to buy sixers or niners and confident there'll be no drain pours. Even with the last OCB pack, which was not interesting at all, I considered buying it one day to mix things up a bit until I saw the word "coffee" on one of the beers.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Wasn't this also OCB Pack #4? They are getting pretty same-y.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:Wasn't this also OCB Pack #4?
You're half right - pack #4 had Black Oak Nut Brown Ale, Cameron’s Cream Ale, Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion, Mill Street Coffee Porter, Old Credit Amber Ale and Wellington Special Pale Ale. So, three the same.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Meh. Not interested in that pack at all. SOme good beers, but 3 repeats. These aren't nearly adventerous enough for me to purchase them.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I'd buy that.

All are outside my typical purchasing habits, so that's incentive enough to give it a go (I think I've only had the Wellington and Flying Monkey out of the six).

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Inkling wrote:I'd buy that.

All are outside my typical purchasing habits, so that's incentive enough to give it a go (I think I've only had the Wellington and Flying Monkey out of the six).
I would probably check this out too. I mean King and Stonehammer don't really make it up to Ottawa, and Black Oak Pale does but not regularly. Makes me wonder though. If those beers can be delivered to Ottawa as part of OCB packs, anyone know why they can't be delivered to Ottawa on their own?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Meh. Not interested in that pack at all. SOme good beers, but 3 repeats. These aren't nearly adventerous enough for me to purchase them.
Someone can correct me, but isn't it the whole point that these beers aren't too adventerous. I mean the whole point of a Discovery pack is for new customers to take a chance and discover these beers, so that the OCB can increase their share of the market.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Kel Varnsen wrote:If those beers can be delivered to Ottawa as part of OCB packs, anyone know why they can't be delivered to Ottawa on their own?
I would guess it's because the Discovery Packs are delivered via the LCBO warehouse system, while most craft breweries deliver their own beers themselves (as is being discussed in another thread right now that I'm too lazy to find a link to).

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

GregClow wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:If those beers can be delivered to Ottawa as part of OCB packs, anyone know why they can't be delivered to Ottawa on their own?
I would guess it's because the Discovery Packs are delivered via the LCBO warehouse system, while most craft breweries deliver their own beers themselves (as is being discussed in another thread right now that I'm too lazy to find a link to).
Is there a reason that more brewers don't take advantage of the warehouse system? It seems like a good way to get your beer spread across the province. I mean it will be interesting to try something like the Stonehammer in the OCB discovery pack, but I am not sure how successful it will be since it isn't something regularly available.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
GregClow wrote:
Is there a reason that more brewers don't take advantage of the warehouse system? It seems like a good way to get your beer spread across the province. I mean it will be interesting to try something like the Stonehammer in the OCB discovery pack, but I am not sure how successful it will be since it isn't something regularly available.
$$$
+
extended amounts of time in non-temperature controled warehouses
+
losing the ability to control who carries your product
+
$$$

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Meh. Not interested in that pack at all. SOme good beers, but 3 repeats. These aren't nearly adventerous enough for me to purchase them.
Someone can correct me, but isn't it the whole point that these beers aren't too adventerous. I mean the whole point of a Discovery pack is for new customers to take a chance and discover these beers, so that the OCB can increase their share of the market.

Fair enough. You are likely right.I still don't give two shits about the packs though, and won't buy the OCB mediocrity packs.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

From the original post: The pack will be available at select LCBO locations in late March

It's still not listed at the LCBO website.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Philip1 wrote:From the original post: The pack will be available at select LCBO locations in late March

It's still not listed at the LCBO website.
i believe this was dropped by the board