Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Founders

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:LIke I said, I've been hearing grumblings of this for a bit now. I think Sammy is bang on here. LCBO uppers say they've got the samples tested as well.
What exactly does the LCBO do to "test" the samples? What are they looking for? Anthrax?
Kind of, they test for anything that may be health hazardous or unsafe. They also test for quality and a ton of other things. Cantilon was found to contain carcinogens so they passed on it for LCBO sale.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

PeenSteen wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:LIke I said, I've been hearing grumblings of this for a bit now. I think Sammy is bang on here. LCBO uppers say they've got the samples tested as well.
What exactly does the LCBO do to "test" the samples? What are they looking for? Anthrax?
Kind of, they test for anything that may be health hazardous or unsafe. They also test for quality and a ton of other things. Cantilon was found to contain carcinogens so they passed on it for LCBO sale.
That's right.
And for the record, the LCBO Labs do the testing, but they are legislated to do so by the AGCO, and the results must comply with AGCO standards, not standards created by the LCBO.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Potassium ferrocyanide isn't carcinogenic.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:Potassium ferrocyanide isn't carcinogenic.
Exactly, they rejected Cantillon Kriek because of cyanide from cherry pits - this is a naturally-flavored traditional lambic. Not some Aspartame-loaded monstrosity that WILL give the lucky winner cancer.

The LCBO rejects Kriek beers that have lower cyanide levels than the wines they sell (since grape pips have cyanide also.)

And they still sell beers with Aspartame. See, to them beer SHOULD never have any trace cyanide. But of course it should have Aspartame.
In Beerum Veritas

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

I seriously hope they bring in the breakfast stout. That would be amazing.

Edit: I didn't know that they rejected cantillon... That is rediculous if true.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

they also pitched a fit over older viscosity for having high levels of something traditionally found in and acceptable in bourbon but not in beer... probably because it's a bourbon barrel aged beer. the wisdom of the lcbo labs knows no bounds.

heebes

Post by heebes »

this is just a roller-coaster ride of emotions! :o :P :x :oops: :)

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

please let this not be a joke....Founders here would be awesome!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

PeenSteen wrote:I don't think that Sammy would lie about this sort of thing, I mean a guy with over 5000 BA reviews, belongs to numerous private order groups and probably has about 10 trades on the go right now probably doesn't have the time to go posting false information on beer forums. If the source was anybody else I would question it but you could name just about any North American city and he will tell you what bars, bottle shops and brewery's to visit. So there are my two cents on that matter, I'm sure he has a reliable source that he is going on. End rant :D
I wonder how many of those trades people were happy with? I know a few folks on BA who feel burned by Sammy's 'substitutions' on the fly. Whether he is credible as a source or not I cannot say, but I have very little respect for his approach to craft beer, and his dealings with other people in the community, and I know I am not alone in this view.

Also, as the BFG for much of Canada I can say that is someone has entered a beer incorrectly in my region it's usually Sammy, and viggo will say the same for Ontario. I guess numbers doesn't always equal knowledge...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Bobsy wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:I don't think that Sammy would lie about this sort of thing, I mean a guy with over 5000 BA reviews, belongs to numerous private order groups and probably has about 10 trades on the go right now probably doesn't have the time to go posting false information on beer forums. If the source was anybody else I would question it but you could name just about any North American city and he will tell you what bars, bottle shops and brewery's to visit. So there are my two cents on that matter, I'm sure he has a reliable source that he is going on. End rant :D
I wonder how many of those trades people were happy with? I know a few folks on BA who feel burned by Sammy's 'substitutions' on the fly. Whether he is credible as a source or not I cannot say, but I have very little respect for his approach to craft beer, and his dealings with other people in the community, and I know I am not alone in this view.

Also, as the BFG for much of Canada I can say that is someone has entered a beer incorrectly in my region it's usually Sammy, and viggo will say the same for Ontario. I guess numbers doesn't always equal knowledge...

These things I don't know and can't comment on one way or another. But in my personal experiences with Sammy he has always been good on his word and reliable.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:Not some Aspartame-loaded monstrosity that WILL give the lucky winner cancer.
Who said the what now?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

cannondale wrote:
Belgian wrote:Not some Aspartame-loaded monstrosity that WILL give the lucky winner cancer.
Who said the what now?
I thought aspartame caused alzheimers, not cancer. :wink:

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I'm confused, so is Founder's coming and if so when?

heebes

Post by heebes »

maybe, maybe not. if so, not for 6 months at least...

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

Bobsy wrote:

been a while since i checked in on bartowel and i remember why. personal slanderous crap. good job!