Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favorite Wheat Beer available in Ontario

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bufordsbest

Post by bufordsbest »

Weihenstephaner and Schneider are head and shoulders above the crowd imo.

best ontario offering would be denisons. (haven't had it on tap, it may be up there with the germans)

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

DougShoemaker wrote:
Philip1 wrote:Anyone remember a wheat beer from Germany that had an orange label? It used to be available (maybe still is) only at the LCBO. I last saw it about 5 years ago when the style was new to me. I tried it, liked it, started trying other wheat beers but never saw that one again. Maybe I wouldn't be impressed with it nowadays but would like to try it again. Can't for the life of me remember the name but would know the label.
It might be the Schofferhofer, at the LCBO about six years ago.

Cheers, Doug

If this is it, you are in luck because it is supposed to be included in this years LCBO summer release...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

bufordsbest wrote: best ontario offering would be denisons. (haven't had it on tap, it may be up there with the germans)
i still dont see why denisons is so popular and highly touted. ive tried it a few times, once recently. i find it bland and slightly flavourless. still a good beer just not comparable to other great Weissbiers. maybe i just need to try it on tap.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

The last time Schofferhofer was here it was the Grapefruit flavoured version, I believe this time it is the unflavoured product.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Thanks guys. Schofferhofer it is. I didn't recognise the name but that's definitely the label I remember.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:
Belgian wrote:I like the Muskoka Summer Weisse a lot. The current vintage is the 2011, and the best so far.
I'm hearing good things about the 2012, but apparently the 2013 is just going to blow us all away...
It really merits its own thread. But you can definitely TASTE the micro-climate of Muskoka.

All kidding aside, a nice beer.
In Beerum Veritas

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

totally agree with the post about Denison's above...my brother in law has it on tap in his home and it is a great example of a German Hefe-Weisse--in cans I find it flat, bland and relatively tasteless...anyone else with me?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mgmoney wrote:totally agree with the post about Denison's above...my brother in law has it on tap in his home and it is a great example of a German Hefe-Weisse--in cans I find it flat, bland and relatively tasteless...anyone else with me?
i dont get it in the can

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

from Muskoka FB this morning....somebody likes it... unless they sold 8 cans lasst year?

Muskoka Summer Weiss sales are up 1035% YTD over last years Hefe Weissbier numbers. Appears people are diggin the re-branding and new package! Thanks for the support everyone! You keep drinking and we'll keep brewing...

http://www.facebook.com/muskokabrewery

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Damn, there goes any notion of the can returning. Oh well, no Muskoka hefe for me this summer.
lister

hegelec

Post by hegelec »

The St. Bernadus Wit is truly world-class, and likely the best Belgian wheat I've ever had the pleasure of sampling here at Gambrinus. Thank you, Peter Lopaty!

Thanks to Ralphus we've also gotten our paws on the Imperial Hefe from 3M -- I've been really digging the "west coast hefe" hybrids ever since I bought the Scheider/Brooklyn Hopfenweisse collab at the LCBO a while back.

As has already been mentioned, Denison's is an outstanding, dry hefeweisse brewed right in our backyard; they could show Steamwhistle a thing or two about doing "one thing really, really well" (okay okay, I'm told they do a mean dunkel lager, too :wink: ). Also, the Hacker-Psorr and Weihenstephaner (both hefe and dunkel weisse versions) are personal favourites.

The Rosee d'Hibiscus is something I'm looking forward to again, also thanks to our friends at HMH. It may pour like a strawberry milkshake, but the intensely aromatic, perfumy hibiscus playing off a solid Belgian wheat base was something I really dug (though I could never have more than one at a time).

That's all that's coming to mind now. At the Toronto Beer Fest last year, someone from Beau's was dropping hints about doing a Gose, but I don't know if this ever came, or will ever come, to fruition. Anyone know the scoop?
Roggendinkel Doppelsticke Superstar Explosion

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

There was a couple events during Toronto Beer Week where the Gose was poured, it was really good. Would like to see it return
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

jayB

Post by jayB »

icemachine wrote:There was a couple events during Toronto Beer Week where the Gose was poured, it was really good. Would like to see it return
It was also available at their Oktoberfest party, as well as in growlers at the brewery around that time. I've never had the style before, so I don't really know what it is "supposed" to taste like, but I very much enjoyed it. It was my favorite of the 5 or 6 beers they had at the fest.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Hitacho Nest White Ale was very good...Also enjoying the Schneider Edel-Weisse

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

weihenstephaner for me.......havent noticed but is Franziskaner avaibable here, that's up there with weihentephaner in my eyes!