Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Favorite Wheat Beer available in Ontario

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Favorite Wheat Beer available in Ontario

Post by Ralphus »

What is your favorite wheat beer that's available in Ontario? If you have favorites in multiple style categories - that is even better. With summer coming some expanded wheat beer knowledge should do us all some good.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Denison's Weiss
Erdinger Hefe
Mill Street Belgian Wit

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Right now mine is the Muskoka Summer Weiss. I'm also a fan of the Schneider Weisse.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Schneider Weisse is probably my favorite followed by Dennisons

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Denison's is my go to. I really liked the Weihenstephaner when it was here. Schneider can be pretty solid.

Does Magnotta still make the Wunder Weisse? That was decent on tap, not quite as good those above but as good or better than say Erdiner or Paulaner IMHO.

I used to drink a fair bit of Blanche du Chambly but it seems different lately. Not sure if its the beer or me that is different. I suspect its me.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

JerCraigs wrote:Denison's is my go to. I really liked the Weihenstephaner when it was here. Schneider can be pretty solid.

Does Magnotta still make the Wunder Weisse? That was decent on tap, not quite as good those above but as good or better than say Erdiner or Paulaner IMHO.

I used to drink a fair bit of Blanche du Chambly but it seems different lately. Not sure if its the beer or me that is different. I suspect its me.
Wunder Weisse is available at the brewery and a few of the BS.

I like the Paulaner and Weihenstephaner for bottles, and previously the Muskoka in the canned format.

Draft favourite is Denisons although up here the only Weiss I find on tap is Erdinger, which is pretty good in its own right when fresh.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Denison's
Muskoka
Weihenstephaner
Magnotta Wunder Weisse (on tap only)
lister

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

It's a toss up between Weihenstephaner and Hacker Pschorr.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. "

-Ernest Hemingway

Lecocq

Post by Lecocq »

For me I like:

Mill St Belgian Wit
St Ambroise Apricot Wheat
Kawartha Lakes Raspberry Wheat

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

PeenSteen wrote:Schneider Weisse is probably my favorite followed by Dennisons
What he said.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

St Ambroise Apricot Wheat as well on tap, don't really care for the bottles.
lister

TJ

Post by TJ »

Aventinus ftw.

But for summer drinking, Weihenstephaner is probably tops for me, although the Paulaner might edge it out for coming in six packs. Schneider Weisse is up there too. Really, I'd be happy with any of the three.

Maybe I need to revisit Denisons, but the cans were all over the map when they came out so I kind of lost interest. In a perfect world I would get a good can of this over anything else.

Muskoka's Summer Weiss is really good.

Add Hitachino Nest White Ale to the list when/if it shows up.

Amsterdam Oranje Wit.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Weihenstephaner Dunkel.

I put that shit on everything.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Weihenstephaner Dunkel.

I put that shit on everything.
My favorite as well. Sometimes I think the only way it could down faster is with a funnel.

I also like Hacker Pschorr & Paulaner. The regular Weihenstephaner is fantastic looking beer.. lovely head - something the Muskoka & Denisons could at least try and emulate. Also think the Schneider is well brewed and a good choice.

What are the options for Ontario brewed wheat beers available in the LCBO / beer store?
- Muskoka
- Denisons
- Great Lakes Miami Weiss (hopefully?)
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Ralphus wrote:What are the options for Ontario brewed wheat beers available in the LCBO / beer store?
- Muskoka
- Denisons
- Great Lakes Miami Weiss (hopefully?)
You forgot Wellington Silver Wheat Ale :lol: .