Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

elproducto wrote:Just be thankful you get these releases.

Up here in the North, we get NOTHING.
If we harass our local LCBO manager enough to bring it in, they do eventually show up.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:So if we want these products to keep coming back we have to buy lots, but if you buy lots you're an asshole.

Interesting.
Easy. Buy what you want and ignore the whining pussies.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:So if we want these products to keep coming back we have to buy lots, but if you buy lots you're an asshole.

Interesting.
Easy. Buy what you want and ignore the people that have some consideration for others.
FTFY.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

Interesting.
Easy. Buy what you want and ignore the people that suddenly take the easy moral high ground.
FTFY.
TTVM!
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Belgian wrote:

Interesting.
Easy. Buy what you want and ignore the whining pussies.
Pretty much what I do. I relieved my local LCBO of half of its stock of Hopyard yesterday, all its remaining Crazy Canuck, and will probably get whats left of the Propeller ESB.

Paul at the Buddha

Post by Paul at the Buddha »

irishkyle21 wrote:Hell if I like a beer and I'm willing to pay for it I'll order as many cases as I damn well please. It's not like they would have ordered any in Sudbury anyways lol.
Careful with the assumptions about Sudbury. We (Laughing Buddha) have not had any problem selling any of the last bunch of seasonal releases and people are paying close attention to when I trip down south to the OCB folks. We've got a lot of fans of big IPA's, Imperial Stouts and anything really daring (I sold 15 cases of the Grand River Ploeger's Vlaam Rood at the restaurant).

If we want LCBO to take the beer revolution seriously as a business strategy, we have to align and promote it across the whole province. Support the growth of networks and when you find that a hoarder has bought an entire stock then you lobby the managers to lobby the central purchasers to buy more and make the best products into regular stock.

We have to promote the events, beer clubs, tastings, beer bars, private collecting, craft breweries and education in order to get some more of the square footage at LCBO's away from Wines and the macro industrial beers.
Paul is the purchaser for the Laughing Buddha and Townehouse Tavern in Sudbury. A great combination of live independent music, good food and interesting beers. 2 bars, 440 seats, 15 taps, 120 bottles, 40 Whiskies and the best patio around.

ProgMetalHead

Post by ProgMetalHead »

Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote: Easy. Buy what you want and ignore the people that suddenly take the easy moral high ground.
FTFY.
TTVM!
BBQ

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

ProgMetalHead wrote:
Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: FTFY.
TTVM!
BBQ
TMA
lister

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

zaireeka wrote:
StevenThrasher wrote:OK I dipped into one just now. Couldn't wait until properly chilled. From what I understand IPAs were developed to travel from England to India and not spoil so they should at least be OK at room temperature.

I'm excited and dissapointed at the same time.

Hop aroma got me all excited. Mouth feel weak and a little too sweet for me.

I'll have to private order some Unearthly from R&R again.

I can't take a middle ground IPA between standard and Imperial. Too much of a tease......
I wasn't all that impressed either. For a double it should be alot hoppier.

OK. Yes this is technically correct which is the best kind of correct.

I've just dipped into mu stash. Oh my I can't resist the hoppyness!!!

I loves me the IPA2X.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Starting to show stock with a change in price:

DOMINUS VOBISCUM BLANCHE
LCBO 227629 | 500 mL bottle

Price: $ 4.60

notdan

Post by notdan »

Ukie wrote:Starting to show stock with a change in price:

DOMINUS VOBISCUM BLANCHE

Harsh. I was going to buy a bunch since it was significantly cheaper, but now it's pretty much on par with Gatineau prices. Oh well, more business for Broue Ha Ha :P

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

notdan wrote:

DOMINUS VOBISCUM BLANCHE

Harsh. I was going to buy a bunch since it was significantly cheaper, but now it's pretty much on par with Gatineau prices. Oh well, more business for Broue Ha Ha :P
You know, I can't justify any support for Broue Ha Ha. While they do have a large selection, it consists mostly of beers I'm not interested in, or beers I can get elsewhere at a better price. I've found that anything I want can be found at Marche Omni or even Depanneur Rapido.

As an example, when I heard Grande Armada Reserve was available at Broue Ha Ha, I went a bit late to find they sold out in 2 days. Then I went to Marche Omni and saw they had a large amount, same goes for Rapido. Furthermore, when La Terrible was released I found it was most expensive at Broue Ha Ha.

Just my 2 cents- I get it's good to support a small company trying to support itself solely on the craft/artisan culture, but I feel like they need something to set themselves apart.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

it's "late June"....

any idea when Lindemans Cuvee Rene will show up?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

tyler90 wrote:
notdan wrote:

DOMINUS VOBISCUM BLANCHE

You know, I can't justify any support for Broue Ha Ha. While they do have a large selection, it consists mostly of beers I'm not interested in, or beers I can get elsewhere at a better price. I've found that anything I want can be found at Marche Omni or even Depanneur Rapido.

As an example, when I heard Grande Armada Reserve was available at Broue Ha Ha, I went a bit late to find they sold out in 2 days. Then I went to Marche Omni and saw they had a large amount, same goes for Rapido. Furthermore, when La Terrible was released I found it was most expensive at Broue Ha Ha.

Just my 2 cents- I get it's good to support a small company trying to support itself solely on the craft/artisan culture, but I feel like they need something to set themselves apart.
I hear what you are saying. I shop at both places since I work in Gatineau, I know both owners casually. Omni, etc do have some beer that is cheaper than Broue but Broue gets more of the special releases earlier and he is forever trying to expand. I think both stores serve their purpose and I'd be disappointed if either disappeared.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

kafercrazy wrote:it's "late June"....

any idea when Lindemans Cuvee Rene will show up?
looks like its in the system, so hopefully a few more weeks

LINDEMANS CUVEE RENE (GUEUZE)
LCBO 224824 | 355 mL bottle

Price: $ 6.45
Beer
3.9% Alcohol/Vol.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.