Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Trappe Triple (Koningshoeven) at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Lukie wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Belgian wrote: Uh huh, one tripel and six quad. I'm curious how the Quad are doing.
the quad is drinking well as of last weekend. still has lots of potential.
Is it more sweeter than initially?
its rounder, and more together then it was fresh. i wouldnt say its sweeter.

aser

Post by aser »

I'm happy with this, not ecstatic but happy. Baby steps I guess, now let's see regular releases for Chimay Blue, Westmalle and Affligem dubel/tripel

Those are probably more realistic than asking for St Bernardus, Delirium or Orval as reg release.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

From my first experience - a very 'clumpy' old bottle of Quad was delicious and layered with all kinds of different flavor replays - a real sipper.

I have faith that the Force is strong in this one.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:From my first experience - a very 'clumpy' old bottle of Quad was delicious and layered with all kinds of different flavor replays - a real sipper.

Funny...

I find La Trappe to be very mediocre compared to it's peers, but each to their own.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:From my first experience - a very 'clumpy' old bottle of Quad was delicious and layered with all kinds of different flavor replays - a real sipper.

Funny...

I find La Trappe to be very mediocre compared to it's peers, but each to their own.
I tend to agree. I put their stuff on par with Chimay, which has only one decent offering in the blue.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Funny...

I tend to agree. I put their stuff on par with Chimay, which has only one decent offering in the blue.
both the white and red are currently great, i give them another shot if you havnt had them recently

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

aser wrote:now let's see regular releases for Chimay Blue, Westmalle and Affligem dubel/tripel

Affligem dubbel is coming as well

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:

Funny...

The White has been drinking pretty decently as of late.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

sprague11 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote: Funny...

Agree. Picked up the White not too long ago in Cambridge and loved it. The Red is mediocre IMO, still havn't had the Blue yet.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

aser

Post by aser »

PeenSteen wrote:
aser wrote:now let's see regular releases for Chimay Blue, Westmalle and Affligem dubel/tripel

Affligem dubbel is coming as well
don't yank my chain, this will make my day. I love Affligem dubbel!!!! I must've bought around 10 Affligem gift packs when they last came around for 2009 Christmas.

I agree, La Trappe is lackluster compared to its competition. Still a good beer, but the others in the game are GREAT!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nothing can touch Westmalle Dubbel. It seems to age well for years longer than it should.
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Belgian wrote:Nothing can touch Westmalle Dubbel. It seems to age well for years longer than it should.
I had one last night, about 2 years old (just past their "expiry" date), awesome!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

phirleh wrote:
Belgian wrote:Nothing can touch Westmalle Dubbel. It seems to age well for years longer than it should.
I had one last night, about 2 years old (just past their "expiry" date), awesome!
Ahh, the perfect image. Westmalle is my go to chalice and its built like a tank, very durable.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

sprague11 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote: Funny...

Agreed. I find the Affligem Blonde similar to the Chimay tripel, if only less potent and slighlty less spicy. Its also been drinking well lately.

As far as La trappe Quad, it is nice and complex, but sweeter and more cloying than most other Quads, which for some is a turn off. Its like a meal in a bottle. Their tripel is much lighter in taste and mouthfeel. Good to see it as a regular listing. Question: How long can we expect a "regular" listing to remain in stock? Will it remain indefinitly or is there usually an average period of time that they stay on?

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

A few bottles of La Trappe Tripel can be had at Weston and 401. Their labeled with the yellow vintages sticker but can be found on the imported beer shelf section (not the usual vintages section) alongside Carolus, Norrebro etc. Price: $6.95. Can you taste the silence?