Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Trappe Triple (Koningshoeven) at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

phirleh wrote:
Belgian wrote:Nothing can touch Westmalle Dubbel. It seems to age well for years longer than it should.
I had one last night, about 2 years old (just past their "expiry" date), awesome!
I don't bother drinking either Westmalle 'til they're at or past their date. I find both rather bland while fresh, but something magical happens if you let them sit for a couple of years.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

ProgMetalHead

Post by ProgMetalHead »

I'm surprised at the negative comments!
La Trappe Quad is my favourite brew! It just clicks with me!

I can't wait to try this tripel.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

ProgMetalHead wrote:I'm surprised at the negative comments!
La Trappe Quad is my favourite brew! It just clicks with me!

I can't wait to try this tripel.
I agree that La Trappe makes a good quad but have you tried the other quads like Rochefort 10, St. Bernie's 12 or Westy 12? They all blow La Trappe's version out of the water. La Trappe is big on raisins, figs, plums and not much else. There is nothing subtle about this beer. On top of that, most people find it to be too sweet and cloying for their taste making it a bit of a chore to finish off the entire big bottle.

The Great Gatsby

Post by The Great Gatsby »

The La Trappe Quad is definitely a different beast than the other belgian quads. I personally like Rochefort 10 the best.

However, sometimes the La Trappe really hits my taste buds the right way. The first time I tried it I did find it cloying but it has grown on me quite a bit.

The Oaked version of the Quad is awesome (IMHO).

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

The Tripel is quite good and I have to say I do really like their quad as well. Rochefort is probably my favourite but the La Trappe is no pushover. As for the St. Bernardus it is excellent as well but I find it a little too polished and not as "raw" as Rochefort and Westy. I'm just glad we do have this available.

ProgMetalHead

Post by ProgMetalHead »

I had LCBO order me a case of Bernardus 12 around XMAS time, and although I love this brew, I prefer La Trappe every time.
The sweetness is welcomed!
I have tried Chimay Blue, but I have not tried Westy, or Rochefort. Rochefort is #1 on my beer searching list. I may take a trip to U.S. to buy some, or I may go to "Bar-Volo" in Toronto. Their website says that they carry this quad... So excited to try them all!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

ProgMetalHead wrote:I had LCBO order me a case of Bernardus 12 around XMAS time, and although I love this brew, I prefer La Trappe every time.
The sweetness is welcomed!
I have tried Chimay Blue, but I have not tried Westy, or Rochefort. Rochefort is #1 on my beer searching list. I may take a trip to U.S. to buy some, or I may go to "Bar-Volo" in Toronto. Their website says that they carry this quad... So excited to try them all!
I'm pretty sure you can order Rochefort through Esprit agencies in Ontario. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

ProgMetalHead

Post by ProgMetalHead »

I was looking into those guys, but I got the feeling that they no longer exist :S
Correct ME if I'm wrong... and I hope I am!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah they still exist. I know some members of this board can tell you about how hard it may be sometimes to get in contact with the importer, Peter. Just keep trying I suppose.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JesseM wrote:Yeah they still exist. I know some members of this board can tell you about how hard it may be sometimes to get in contact with the importer, Peter. Just keep trying I suppose.
Email Peter, he will eventually get back to you, I went in on some Tripel Karmeliet recently with another Bartoweler. The good thing is, once you get in touch with him, you can get the stuff pretty quick, it doesn't have to cross the Atlantic or anything.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Streets

Post by Streets »

JesseM wrote: I'm pretty sure you can order Rochefort through Esprit agencies in Ontario. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Last I heard they do still carry Rochefort, and they had the 10 in stock. Peter can be tough to get a hold of, but once I sent him payment for the Karmeliet the case was delivered to my local LCBO within 2 weeks. You do have to order an entire case though so it can be a bit pricey, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to unload a few Rochefort 10s.

For a case of Rochefort 10 you're looking at $146.40.
ROCHEFORT 10 11.3 DARK TRAPPIST/ABBEY QUADRUPEL CHIMAY BLUE,ROCHEFORT 10, ST. B ABT 12 24 X 330ML $6.10 YES

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Just to clear something up, I've never dealt with Peter and wasn't implying that I've had difficulty with him. I was just bringing up the fact that other people have.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas

aser

Post by aser »

Streets wrote:
JesseM wrote: I'm pretty sure you can order Rochefort through Esprit agencies in Ontario. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Last I heard they do still carry Rochefort, and they had the 10 in stock. Peter can be tough to get a hold of, but once I sent him payment for the Karmeliet the case was delivered to my local LCBO within 2 weeks. You do have to order an entire case though so it can be a bit pricey, but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to unload a few Rochefort 10s.

ROCHEFORT 10 11.3 DARK TRAPPIST/ABBEY QUADRUPEL CHIMAY BLUE,ROCHEFORT 10, ST. B ABT 12 24 X 330ML $6.10 YES
I've tried for the last few months to purchase off him, but each time I arrange a date for pickup, he disappears. It's getting beyond frustrating, I want to give you money Peter. PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

aser wrote:
Streets wrote:

I've tried for the last few months to purchase off him, but each time I arrange a date for pickup, he disappears. It's getting beyond frustrating, I want to give you money Peter. PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY.

Not a very solid business model.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!