Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JerCraigs wrote:House Ales, Great Lakes, Amsterdam, and Bellwoods have all done a couple of great "barrel aged" beers that were quite subtle and nuanced. Many of these were with wine barrels rather than bourbon though so that helps.
A Taste thing for sure. Well nothing is more 'loud' (and crass) in a beer than strong Bourbon + American Oak! (Though Goose Island BBCS is an exception where featuring the strong spirit barrel character seems to work - the beer is more like a caramel popcorn vanilla coffee liqueur.)

The Amsterdam Goedenavond I had today was textbook subtle barrel treatment, with spicy and winy overtones instead of big toasted and woody oak tannin flavors.

Blending partial-barreled does sound like another ideal middle ground for stouts, and it's economical for brewers to use fewer barrels per batch.
In Beerum Veritas

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

I quickly scanned this thread to no avail ... is St. Bernardus Abt 12 coming to LC this year?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kafercrazy wrote:I quickly scanned this thread to no avail ... is St. Bernardus Abt 12 coming to LC this year?
no

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

SAQ just got a whack of bombers in a few weeks ago.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:House Ales, Great Lakes, Amsterdam, and Bellwoods have all done a couple of great "barrel aged" beers that were quite subtle and nuanced. Many of these were with wine barrels rather than bourbon though so that helps.
A Taste thing for sure. Well nothing is more 'loud' (and crass) in a beer than strong Bourbon + American Oak! (Though Goose Island BBCS is an exception where featuring the strong spirit barrel character seems to work - the beer is more like a caramel popcorn vanilla coffee liqueur.)

The Amsterdam Goedenavond I had today was textbook subtle barrel treatment, with spicy and winy overtones instead of big toasted and woody oak tannin flavors.

Blending partial-barreled does sound like another ideal middle ground for stouts, and it's economical for brewers to use fewer barrels per batch.
My own personal tastes, but I do like the bourbon/American Oak flavours in certain beers - really liked it with GLB's Porter, but I do see how they can be overwhelming, and a bit of a bully. I thought Bourbon Barrel Aged Deviator did a fairly good job of subtlety, at least with a bourbon barrel, but again my opinion.

And yeah, the Goedenvond is pretty great, another good wine barrel beer was the Grandma's Boy from Bellwoods.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote: A Taste thing for sure. Well nothing is more 'loud' (and crass) in a beer than strong Bourbon + American Oak! (Though Goose Island BBCS is an exception where featuring the strong spirit barrel character seems to work - the beer is more like a caramel popcorn vanilla coffee liqueur.)
Interesting. Of all the bourbon barrel aged stouts I have had, BCS has by far the strongest bourbon + American Oak presence IMO.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Urthel Hop It
Ommegang Hennepin 6-pk

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Of all the bourbon barrel aged stouts I have had, BCS has by far the strongest bourbon + American Oak presence IMO.
One of the strongest-tasting beers ever made, full stop. It sure does it well though - maybe that's the difference? Somethink like Oaked Yeti makes me shudder, astringent raw oak tannins but no complex 'barrel' flavor.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

wooooo!
PeenSteen wrote:Urthel Hop It
Ommegang Hennepin 6-pk

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote: The Amsterdam Goedenavond I had today was textbook subtle barrel treatment, with spicy and winy overtones instead of big toasted and woody oak tannin flavors.
I found that beer to be a bit boozier than my preference overall but I agree, the barrel treatment was pretty nice and I enjoyed it.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

So, popped in to the LCBO for some various beers and noticed 24 rather waxy Tempest staring back at me from the shelf at Dundurn in Hamilton. Grabbed a couple. Uh oh. No shelf tags. Of course, there's no info and they can't be sold yet. However, the cashier was awesome, appologized profusely and offered to hold them for me until the info got straightened out. The score is even, I guess.

munrets

Post by munrets »

Not sure where else to put this but as there is talk elsewhere about GL's Karma Citra coming to the LCBO:

Went by the GL store today and they've got a bunch of bottles of Karma Citra available for Movember. Picked up two along with Black IPA, Vanilla Espresso Stout, plus found a bottle of Puzzler and Alepino.

heebes

Post by heebes »

boney wrote:So, popped in to the LCBO for some various beers and noticed 24 rather waxy Tempest staring back at me from the shelf at Dundurn in Hamilton. Grabbed a couple. Uh oh. No shelf tags. Of course, there's no info and they can't be sold yet. However, the cashier was awesome, appologized profusely and offered to hold them for me until the info got straightened out. The score is even, I guess.
I was able to grab a bunch of Tempest from my local today.

heebes

Post by heebes »

munrets wrote:Not sure where else to put this but as there is talk elsewhere about GL's Karma Citra coming to the LCBO:

Went by the GL store today and they've got a bunch of bottles of Karma Citra available for Movember. Picked up two along with Black IPA, Vanilla Espresso Stout, plus found a bottle of Puzzler and Alepino.
Thanks for mentioning. Two bottle limit on the KC though, bummer.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

I was at GLB today, picked up 3 puzzler, both new 25th anni brews and six karma citra/burts stache. The 2 bottle limit was not in effect.