Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

In late August I had a Centennial bottled in May and it was still awesome....I hope we see their Porter next Fall, as it is my favourite Porter by far.

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

JeffPorter wrote:
vandutchy wrote:Sorry if this is a dulplicate question but does anyone have an ETA for these to arrive in the LC?
PeenSteen is guessing spring, but the lineup will start around Valentine's Day :wink:

HA Good One!

heebes

Post by heebes »

PeenSteen wrote:...I hope we see their Porter next Fall, as it is my favourite Porter by far.
i wonder if founders coming might lead to a brewery feature

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

heebes wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:...I hope we see their Porter next Fall, as it is my favourite Porter by far.
i wonder if founders coming might lead to a brewery feature
I won't allow myself to even think of the possibility.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

In terms of the Nickelbrook Cuvee, it's pretty good and rolling out in some stores today. I'm doing a rib roast tomorrow and I think that with a Rioja is going to be on my table.

It's fruity and spicy like a christmas beer, and the bourbon is subtle. It seems they blended Barrel Aged stuff with Fresh stuff.

What's really good though is the Kentucky Bastard - Gotta get that at the brewery though. Not "BA Tempest" good, but pretty yummy.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

I got two bottles of the Nickelbrook cuvee today at Avenue and Lawrence. Looking forward to trying one soon and putting one in the cellar.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

What's really good though is the Kentucky Bastard - Gotta get that at the brewery though.
On tap at the Mugshot Tavern right now.

nickw

Post by nickw »

hopdevil wrote:
What's really good though is the Kentucky Bastard - Gotta get that at the brewery though.
I had it at Volo on Thursday.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

nickw wrote:
hopdevil wrote:
I had it at Volo on Thursday.
Awesome - nice to see it on draught! I find it's not as intense as the Pinot Noir Bastard.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

JeffPorter wrote:In terms of the Nickelbrook Cuvee, it's pretty good and rolling out in some stores today.
They have it at the Bank & Walkley (Ottawa) store.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote: Awesome - nice to see it on draught! I find it's not as intense as the Pinot Noir Bastard.
I'm not sure that I have ever had a barrel aged imperial stout that is more intensely barrel-forward than the Pinot Noir is. Even Bourbon County Stout doesn't have quite the dominant barrel characteristics. I did really like the Pinot Noir, but I think they left it in the barrels a little too long.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

what's the price on this?
Ceecee wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:In terms of the Nickelbrook Cuvee, it's pretty good and rolling out in some stores today.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

spinrsx wrote:what's the price on this?
Ceecee wrote:
$9.95

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: I did really like the Pinot Noir, but I think they left it in the barrels a little too long.
Agree. A year was a too long. Goudenvond was nice, and aged for six or seven months I believe, and subtle but that flat rock Pinot Noir I find very subtle as well.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah me too. That is one very winey Bastard!