Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Hope I get a change to try this. Haven't seen any listed in Guelph, K/W, London yet.
if you dont get one i can get one for you, or share a bottle

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:When you say it's already 2 years old, what does that mean exactly? The descriptions online say it's a blend of a 4 year old Boon lambic with another Lambic from 2008.
simple summary:

lambic's a style.
gueuze is when you blend various aged lambics together to get the desired taste.
young lambic may taste to crisp/young. 3 year old lambic may be too funky/tart. so blenders - like 3 Fonteinin or Tilquin - will take various lambics and mix them in proportions to get the flavour they want.

and yes, aging is to taste. i just had some Cantillon gueuze on tap. it was fabulous and refreshing, but it was missing some depth. the longer you age it, the more complex it gets. if you let it go for 20 years, it may taste like "complexity" versus "freshness"

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

atomeyes wrote:
squeaky wrote:When you say it's already 2 years old, what does that mean exactly? The descriptions online say it's a blend of a 4 year old Boon lambic with another Lambic from 2008.
simple summary:

lambic's a style.
gueuze is when you blend various aged lambics together to get the desired taste.
young lambic may taste to crisp/young. 3 year old lambic may be too funky/tart. so blenders - like 3 Fonteinin or Tilquin - will take various lambics and mix them in proportions to get the flavour they want.
All true, yes.

But in terms of the specific original question - "When you say it's already 2 years old, what does that mean exactly?" - the label states "2011/02/17" as the Bottling Date. So it's essentially already been aged for 2+ years AFTER bottling, regardless of how old the original lambics in the blend were.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:and 12 bottles? man, that's an expensive purchase!
Post subject: I'm kidding. I bought two and left ten for you guys.
OK sorry that was way way too subtle. Who spends $280 on one beer? Unless it's super-rare 750ml's of Westvleteren 14 (see my 'for trade' section.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:and 12 bottles? man, that's an expensive purchase!
Post subject: I'm kidding. I bought two and left ten for you guys.
OK sorry that was way way too subtle, but the typo was too funny so I left it in. Who spends $280 on one beer? Unless it's super-rare 750ml's of Westvleteren 14 (see my 'for trade' section.)
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

matt7215 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Hope I get a change to try this. Haven't seen any listed in Guelph, K/W, London yet.
if you dont get one i can get one for you, or share a bottle
Might just have to take you up on that offer, I'll let you know. Thanks Matt!!!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I guess what I was getting at is since a Geuze is a mix of two already aged beers, what's the basis for there being a general guideline for how long you should age a Geuze before drinking? Unless it's just about giving it enough time for the source Lambics to fully blend and get to know each other, shouldn't the aging time depend as much on how long they aged before being mixed as after?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new listing, no stock yet:

CENTRAL CITY IMPERIAL IPA FOR AUTISM
LCBO 340901 | 650 mL bottle

Price: $ 9.60

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

squeaky wrote:I guess what I was getting at is since a Geuze is a mix of two already aged beers, what's the basis for there being a general guideline for how long you should age a Geuze before drinking? Unless it's just about giving it enough time for the source Lambics to fully blend and get to know each other, shouldn't the aging time depend as much on how long they aged before being mixed as after?
Even before blending, each of the threads going into a gueuze will change with time. I've been making the same base recipe since 2009, yet pulling a sample from each fermenter yields slightly different results - even when it's two carboys sitting side by side that were part of the same year's primary fermentation. So, logically, when you put them together, there is still room for the sum to change with time.

As for a magic number for aging this or any other style, there just isn't one. One person's taste might dictate drinking it fresh and another only after X years. My best suggestion would be to learn your preference, either through buying a bunch of a particular beer and tasting bottles periodically as it ages or finding a way to taste a vertical of many years.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I wasn't expecting to see this at the LCBO:

UNIBROUE SEIGNEURIALE
Canada | Unibroue Inc
LCBO 343905 | 750 mL | $ 6.95

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

grub wrote:
squeaky wrote:I guess what I was getting at is since a Geuze is a mix of two already aged beers, what's the basis for there being a general guideline for how long you should age a Geuze before drinking? Unless it's just about giving it enough time for the source Lambics to fully blend and get to know each other, shouldn't the aging time depend as much on how long they aged before being mixed as after?
Even before blending, each of the threads going into a gueuze will change with time. I've been making the same base recipe since 2009, yet pulling a sample from each fermenter yields slightly different results - even when it's two carboys sitting side by side that were part of the same year's primary fermentation. So, logically, when you put them together, there is still room for the sum to change with time.

As for a magic number for aging this or any other style, there just isn't one. One person's taste might dictate drinking it fresh and another only after X years. My best suggestion would be to learn your preference, either through buying a bunch of a particular beer and tasting bottles periodically as it ages or finding a way to taste a vertical of many years.
in addition to everything that grub said there is also the factor of how the lambic conditions in the bottle. most bottle conditioned sours take much longer to come together then other bottle conditioned beers.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

matt7215 wrote:
grub wrote:

in addition to everything that grub said there is also the factor of how the lambic conditions in the bottle. most bottle conditioned sours take much longer to come together then other bottle conditioned beers.
And in addition to everything everyone else has said, I find my "taste" is a moving target as well. You may begin to enjoy/not enjoy certain things as much over time... so there's REALLY no right answer.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

spinrsx wrote:new listing, no stock yet:

Interesting. I assume this is not different than their regular Imperial IPA aside from the fact that part of the proceeds are goign to autism?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

Interesting. I assume this is not different than their regular Imperial IPA aside from the fact that part of the proceeds are goign to autism?
That's what it sounds like. According to their website http://centralcitybrewing.com/autism/ a full 5 bucks from each bottle goes to the charity. That's quite a markup per bottle.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

squeaky wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

That's what it sounds like. According to their website http://centralcitybrewing.com/autism/ a full 5 bucks from each bottle goes to the charity. That's quite a markup per bottle.
I was thinking I'll pass, due to the price, but if $5/bottle goes to autism, I'm back in. That's awesome!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.