Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Black Oak Nutcracker
Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale
Rogue 19 Colonies Mead

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

OK, seriously. Is Rogue just using Ontario as a place to dump all it's products that don't sell well?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

PeenSteen wrote: Alexander Keith's Galaxy Hop Ale
Looks like Bellwoods is going to have some serious competition in the single hop IPA market. 8)

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

squeaky wrote:OK, seriously. Is Rogue just using Ontario as a place to dump all it's products that don't sell well?
At least Dead Guy and Brutal are still hanging around.

This and the stupid voodoo ones i will not though, though.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

PeenSteen wrote:Black Oak Nutcracker
Yay! Saves me a drive out there now.
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'm assuming Nutcracker will be in the large bottle format?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:I'm assuming Nutcracker will be in the large bottle format?
Unless the original plan has changed, that should be the case.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
icemachine wrote: I'm assuming Nutcracker will be in the large bottle format?
Unless the original plan has changed, that should be the case.
It's 2013 and the Board, local brewers, and drinking public aren't yet convinced that you can session a six pack of 5% porter. I'll still buy a bunch since it's one of my favourite Ontario beers and the Deschutes is the only other option at that strength, but I'd really like to see the 'BO move away from ALL porters being in large format bottles. The fact that we don't have a local Edmund Fitzgerald sixer in stores across the province is absolutely stunning. :evil:
Last edited by cratez on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Cratez, don't you remember the 'furore' over the the Anchor Steam? This was always in 6 packs, as it should be being a 5% beer, yet people bitched and moaned that they just wanted to buy a single bottle as a 6 pack was too much beer to buy!!! The 6 pack disappeared to be replaced by the larger 500ml bottle, which some people seemed happier with.

If the agency & board we're thinking properly, they'd offer both 6 packs & single 500/650 bottles of the same product.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Torontoblue wrote:Cratez, don't you remember the 'furore' over the the Anchor Steam? This was always in 6 packs, as it should be being a 5% beer, yet people bitched and moaned that they just wanted to buy a single bottle as a 6 pack was too much beer to buy!!! The 6 pack disappeared to be replaced by the larger 500ml bottle, which some people seemed happier with.

If the agency & board we're thinking properly, they'd offer both 6 packs & single 500/650 bottles of the same product.
It's currently in six packs at the Board which, like you mentioned, is as it should be. I also agree that offering "two or more formats" is a good idea and it's something you see often in U.S. liquor stores. Of course we all have our biases that cause us to complain one way or the other. In my case I like to switch up IPAs and other hoppy beers with stouts, porters, and sour ales during the course of a session, and for someone who drinks just under a case a week six packs offer better value than bombers. But again, that gives credence to having dual/multiple formats.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TCB

Post by TCB »

In Ontario at TBS and LCBO, 6 pack bottles of almost all brands are in considerable decline. Maybe once the craft segment here grows to a more significant size the 6 pack bottle will return as a preferred format. You won't see many new beer brands coming in 6 pack bottles in 2014 and a few that are currently will be switched out to 473ml. I know some drinkers don't like cans but the 473/500ml cans are usually awesome value,that is where the majority of beer consumers shop and it is your best chance to get in the refrigerated areas in most stores if you are a supplier. If you can't hit volume targets your out.Your chances of getting multiple formats with the same brand are slim these days unless you have a very big brand and spend considerable dollars on LCBO programming. I have no problem with this as I believe variety is more important than multiple sizes of the same brand.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

any chance we will see a Red Racer 'Winter' Sampler similar to the summer one the lcbo had?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

TCB wrote:In Ontario at TBS and LCBO, 6 pack bottles of almost all brands are in considerable decline. Maybe once the craft segment here grows to a more significant size the 6 pack bottle will return as a preferred format. You won't see many new beer brands coming in 6 pack bottles in 2014 and a few that are currently will be switched out to 473ml. I know some drinkers don't like cans but the 473/500ml cans are usually awesome value,that is where the majority of beer consumers shop and it is your best chance to get in the refrigerated areas in most stores if you are a supplier. If you can't hit volume targets your out.Your chances of getting multiple formats with the same brand are slim these days unless you have a very big brand and spend considerable dollars on LCBO programming. I have no problem with this as I believe variety is more important than multiple sizes of the same brand.
It also seems to me that the six to seven dollar 650 ml bottle is becoming commonplace, whereas I don't think the market would bear $18-20 for a six pack. Cans, on the other hand, sometimes offer excellent value, as was pointed out. As someone who likes to sample many different beers, I don't mind these trends.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Goose Island lists the release date of 2013 BCBS as Nov 29th, so the lcbo is getting some 2012 from somewhere?

Kish84 wrote:
Kekumba wrote:Anyway...did the BCBS at the LCBO dream die?
It's mentioned earlier in this thread, but it's only going to be available at a GI tasting and not for sale.

http://www.vintages.com/events/beer_eve ... =BeerEvent

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

midlife crisis wrote:It also seems to me that the six to seven dollar 650 ml bottle is becoming commonplace, whereas I don't think the market would bear $18-20 for a six pack. Cans, on the other hand, sometimes offer excellent value, as was pointed out. As someone who likes to sample many different beers, I don't mind these trends.
These are the prices we're paying in Alberta for such products, even local beers, and they still move off the shelves.